Oxymoron

Status
Not open for further replies.
oxymoron
[ok-si-mawr-on, -mohr-]

noun, plural oxymora [ok-si-mawr-uh, -mohr-uh] (Show IPA), oxymorons. Rhetoric.
a figure of speech by which a locution produces an incongruous, seemingly self-contradictory effect, as in “cruel kindness” or “to make haste slowly.”.

For a visual representation of the above, see below.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Taildragger
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Is this his reference point?

No DipStik,,, THIS is.

Becareful. Don't try this kind of language when in public.

Is this his reference point?

No DipStik,,, THIS is.

Becareful. Don't try this kind of language when in public.

No offence,, dipstick,,, oil forum,,, get it? Volkswagen, green diesel,, get it?

Oh, not 'hiding', it's humor. Not sure why you are offended. Jeez!

I got it, not funny. Some will take it as offense. It's all in the context. This is a very diverse group. It is easy to offend without intent. I try to practice safe typing.

No, it's just that you're using language that you would never use in a fact to face conversation. Just remember, some older people are a bit more polite and expect the same in return. It's called communication and it works, well.

Stoic
[stoh-ik]
Examples Word Origin
adjective
of or relating to the school of philosophy founded by Zeno, who taught that people should be free from passion, unmoved by joy or grief, and submit without complaint to unavoidable necessity.

So VW use green gallon ideas as a front to cover for their tampering ?

Or the image of the green leaves car just happens to have a VW badge, and the two are totally unrelated ?

extraneous

adjective
irrelevant or unrelated to the subject being dealt with.
"one is obliged to wade through many pages of extraneous material"

synonyms: irrelevant, immaterial, beside the point, not to the point, neither here nor there, nothing to do with it, not pertinent, not germane, not to the purpose, off the subject, unrelated, unconnected, inapposite, inappropriate, inapplicable, inconsequential, incidental, pointless, out of place, wide of the mark, peripheral, tangential
"do not allow extraneous considerations to influence your judgement"

I'm surprised! The humor is in reference to teh VW Diesel emissions scandal. Obviously the photo is of a 'local' entity that is unrelated to VW, but the idea of VW and Green Diesel is an ironic oxymoron.
I even posted a link to the scandal "THIS" , made a funny on an OIL RELATED FORUM "Dipstik" and OEJ choose to be offended. Wow, just wow,,, My apologies.

Back to sulpher, zink and viscosity discussions.

Well, for most of the chiding that VW has taken over a minor emissions blunder, their diesels are much cleaner than anything that was put out 2 decades ago. All this squabble has only been over a few points of NOx which really is not going to make a difference to the environment anyway. The EPA just wants to flex it's muscle and get an OEM's mind right. They had fun with Navistar, so now it was time to go after someone else.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
So VW use green gallon ideas as a front to cover for their tampering ?

Or the image of the green leaves car just happens to have a VW badge, and the two are totally unrelated ?

extraneous

adjective
irrelevant or unrelated to the subject being dealt with.
"one is obliged to wade through many pages of extraneous material"

synonyms: irrelevant, immaterial, beside the point, not to the point, neither here nor there, nothing to do with it, not pertinent, not germane, not to the purpose, off the subject, unrelated, unconnected, inapposite, inappropriate, inapplicable, inconsequential, incidental, pointless, out of place, wide of the mark, peripheral, tangential
"do not allow extraneous considerations to influence your judgement"
Looks like Green Gallon Solutions is a company in the southern USA that collects waste vegetable oil from restaurants, & converts it to biodiesel. The car in his photo has an advertising "wrap" on it, probably just a (funny) coincidence it's a VW. Too many issues with bio for me, surprised anybody can make anything selling it, esp. with diesel roughly $2/gallon in my area of the USA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back