Do valves loosen or tighten with time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tc1446
BRP doesn not require adjustment; if they fail, I still have 2 1/2 years warranty left.

Its looking like the 1330 motor may be a good one; many riders have extremely high mileage
and no major failures reported that I know of.

So you said your documentation required a clearance check, now it doesn't? Is this the new triple? OHC?
A little anecdote on hydraulics not needing a clearance check. My Roadstar Warrior had hydraulic pushrod actuated 4 valve cylinder heads. At the head, a single pushrod actuated 2 valves with a forked rocker. The clearance check, verified that both valves installed height was the same, the difference between the two is what you were checking. I think the limit was 0.001 IIRC.

If your in warranty failure has anything to do with the valves, and you did not properly maintain it per the documentation, that could be interesting.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Is all of the above the same with Ducati Desmo valve train?

A buddy of mine has been a Ducati Tech for many years. He has said that Desmo valvetrains hold their adjustment pretty well. The higher performance engines a little less so. Checking and adjusting the clearances at the prescribed intervals, is a good idea.

Originally Posted By: 02SE

A buddy of mine has been a Ducati Tech for many years. He has said that Desmo valvetrains hold their adjustment pretty well. The higher performance engines a little less so. Checking and adjusting the clearances at the prescribed intervals, is a good idea.

Yes they do because the valve isn't closed then held closed with a spring..

The demo valvetrain is unique and cannot float the valves regardless of RPM.

the valve is controlled by a follower on or adjacent to the cam shaft - mechanical opening, mechanical closing.

When you have to adjust them - they can be extremely tricky and much more work because you have lash number to look at and correct on open and close with a fixed ratio between the 2 and the metals can wear in many ways vs just coming up.

UD

Years ago, 2007 Suzuki C50, exhaust valves would tighten over time. Intake not much change.
VStar 1300 same, as you lose that sewing machine sound you knew they were tightening up.

Im looking forward to no valve adjustments on my 14 Road King! Yay, assuming the lifters dont go bad

Last edited:
from what tech at my favorite shop told me...

intake valves loosen & exhaust valves tighten; on the last adjustment on my Suzuki GZ250, he had the intake valves at the lower end of the acceptable range & the exhaust valves at the upper end of the acceptable range; he also indicated that they shouldn't vary too much yet since the GZ250 is a very noisy engine (mechanically speaking vs exhaust note) I choose to have it done annually (3000-3500 miles); when it needs done this coming year I am going to have the carb inspected/cleaned while the tank is off

since my Honda Shadow uses a hydraulic-assisted valve system the adjustment interval is every 8000 miles ...the GZ250 uses a more purely mechanical type system and the adjustment interval is every 3000 miles

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
'05 Road King 60k miles on it, top end quite as can be. Motor has never been touched.,,,,

I love my Harley! I haven't had any issues with mine either.

Originally Posted By: UncleDave
Originally Posted By: 02SE

Yes they do because the valve isn't closed then held closed with a spring..

The demo valvetrain is unique and cannot float the valves regardless of RPM.

the valve is controlled by a follower on or adjacent to the cam shaft - mechanical opening, mechanical closing.

When you have to adjust them - they can be extremely tricky and much more work because you have lash number to look at and correct on open and close with a fixed ratio between the 2 and the metals can wear in many ways vs just coming up.

UD

I'm well aware of that. I've done a few myself, for friends that weren't mechanically inclined.

I was just giving a perspective from someone that works on Ducati's all day, every day..

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Originally Posted By: Trav
Intakes tend to either stay the same or loosen slightly, exhaust get tighter.
After a few adjustments they don't change much if the oil is doing its job and cam lobe wear is minimal.
Looseness of the intakes is usually due to cam lobe wear and tightness of the exhaust is due to seat recession.

Trav you need your own tou tube channel. I'd subscribe for sure.

+1 me too

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
'05 Road King 60k miles on it, top end quite as can be. Motor has never been touched.,,,,

I love my Harley! I haven't had any issues with mine either.

I don't know anyone who has a stock HD motor who has had to touch it under 100k miles. The top end is not the weak link. It is the pressed crank and cam tensioner shoes and INA roller bearings. But still unless you have a lot of crank runout they should still go to 100k until you need to tear into them. **

**As long as you change the oil every 4-5000 miles

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back