New Truck! New oil Spec? 2016 Ford F-350 6.2l v8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy Guys,

Got a new truck..2016 Super Duty with the 6.2 gas v8. As you all know ford changed the oil spec from 5w-20 to 5w30 for some unknown to the public reason.

The thing that has me confused and that I need everyones advice on its the current oil spec listed in the owners manual and on all-data vs. the "wording" they use in the manual.

According to all known data the published spec is WSS-M2C946-A...but here is where it gets interesting. The following is copied from the owners manual...

Recommended motor oil (U.S.): Motorcraft® SAE 5W-30 Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil XO-5W30-QSP WSS-M2C946-A

If a conventional 5w30 meets the WSS-M2C946-A spec...whats the advantage in the blend? The truck is equipped with the IOLM and I plan to use it. Hate to waste money on an un-need supposed blend when i can get spec meeting conventional for $2 per qt!

It says recommended, does it have another paragraph to say something additional? Seems they just want to push their own product. Most vehicles today are speccing full syn, and semi syn can still be found on sale. Id find a way to maintain what is spec'd.

The recommendations for Mexico are the same but get this from Canada...

Recommended motor oil (Canada): Motorcraft® SAE 5W-30 Super Premium Motor Oil CXO-5W30-LSP12 WSS-M2C946-A

This is a conventional iirc

edited...just found this

If you use oil and fluids that do not meet the defined specification and viscosity grade, this may lead to:
Component damage which is not covered by the vehicle warranty.
Longer engine cranking periods.
Increased emission levels.
Reduced engine performance.
Reduced fuel economy.
Degraded brake performance.
We recommend Motorcraft motor oil for your vehicle. If Motorcraft oil is not available, use motor oils of the recommended viscosity grade that meet API SN requirements and display the API Certification Mark for gasoline engines. Do not use oil labeled with API SN service category unless the label also displays the API certification mark.
An oil that displays this symbol conforms to current engine, emission system and fuel economy performance standards of the International Lubricants Specification Advisory Council (ILSAC).
Do not use supplemental engine oil additives because they are unnecessary and could lead to engine damage that may not be covered by your vehicle warranty.
Note: Ford recommends using DOT 4 Low Viscosity (LV) High Performance Brake Fluid or equivalent meeting WSS-M6C65-A2. Use of any fluid other than the recommended fluid may cause degraded brake performance and not meet the Ford performance standards. Keep brake fluid clean and dry. Contamination with dirt, water, petroleum products or other materials may result in brake system damage and possible failure.
Note: Automatic transmissions that require MERCON LV transmission fluid should only use MERCON LV transmission fluid.The use of any other fluid may cause transmission damage.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wemay
Degraded Brake Performance? That's a new one.

It it says if you use oil and FLUIDS .... that would include brake fluid I would think

Reduced fuel economy.
Locusts.
Pestilence.
Darkness.
Hail.
Famine.
Drought...

I had to laugh at that one...my family owned a shop for 20 years or so and you would not believe the amount of cars we had come in with brake fluid contamination...almost always from quick lubes. Always power steering fluid in the brake res. Honestly it probably averaged to at least 1 per month. The bad part about it is that when contaminated you had to replace EVERYTHING. Master, calipers, Abs pumps etc...got expensive real [censored] fast.

The other biggie was putting EG coolant in Dexcool spec vehicles...did many a heater core thanks to that. Amazing how careless quick lubes and back ally shops are.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Reduced fuel economy.
Locusts.
Pestilence.
Darkness.
Hail.
Famine.
Drought...

lol a pale rider on a pale horse

Reduced fuel economy.
Locusts.
Pestilence.
Darkness.
Hail.
Famine.
Drought...

laugh.gif
Post of the day. Thanks for the laugh. When i read this i laughed so hard that coffee came out my nose. LOL

Originally Posted By: Doublehaul
Hate to waste money on an un-need supposed blend when i can get spec meeting conventional for $2 per qt!

Lol I always find it funny when people spend $50k+ on a car and want to cheap out on oil

You are concerned about the price of oil(pennies) in a $50,000 gas guzzling truck?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: Doublehaul
Hate to waste money on an un-need supposed blend when i can get spec meeting conventional for $2 per qt!

Lol I always find it funny when people spend $50k+ on a car and want to cheap out on oil

Me too, or those who run the oil twice as long as the OM suggests because they bought synthetic oil.
27.gif

You will, undoubtedly, receive a number of suggestions and so here is a list of oils many of which on the list meet your required specification (WSS-M2C946-A). I am going to assume the iOLM in the 2016 gasoline engine will push your OCI close to 10K (short of some sort of severe duty).

If it were mine (especially with the deals that can be had on synthetics and synblends these days), I would be looking at a blend at a minimum ( Pennzoil Gold or Quaker State Advanced Durability come to mind) or any of the numerous synthetics that fit the bill (Mobil 1, Kendall GT-1, Pennzoil Platinum, Pennzoil Ultra, Quaker State Ultimate Durability). Obviously, if you are not going to follow the iOLM and change it at a preset mileage, then Mobil Super 5000 is a good conventional as is Pennzoil Yellow Bottle or even Formula Shell (which seems to have lost its website).

That's not a terribly expensive oil spec. Walmart's Supertech doesn't meet it, but Mobil Super 5000 does along with (I believe) Pennzoil conventional.

You can find syn or syn-blend for $2-$3qt. that meet or exceed the spec often. I'm not sure what the problem with that is. When you find it cheap, stack it deep. Now $50k for a pick-up? I guess I still live in a different era.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Here's an idea.

Treat it the same as I treat my Ford powered V-10 motorhome.

Dump some dexos approved Pennzoil Gold semi-syn 5w-30 in it, change it regularly along with a good quality filter, and watch it run for 300,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Reduced fuel economy.
Locusts.
Pestilence.
Darkness.
Hail.
Famine.
Drought...

laugh.gif
Post of the day. Thanks for the laugh. When i read this i laughed so hard that coffee came out my nose. LOL

You're welcome.

I get *so* tired of this fear-mongering rubbish in of all places, a freaking owner's manual.

Really Ford? Really???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back