Royal Purple Filter Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ran this for the prescribed 5k OCI on my relatively new '15 Tacoma (15k miles). I got a great deal (long story) on two of these filters, and I replaced it with the 2nd one.

The filter sits upside-down on the top of the engine. The Tacoma's 1st two OCIs were with a Mobil-1 filter, and each time I removed the used filter, they seemed dry and empty.

However, when I removed the RP yesterday, the oil came gushing out. Even more came gushing out when I cut it open. The section of the faceplate metal behind the ADBV was completely dry, as if it had never come in contact with oil (meaning it sealed well).

I used to think highly of the Mobil-1s but they've disappointed me, as far as the ADBVs are concerned.

I might try Fram and Wix to see how their ADBVs perform. Or I may just stick with RP, and starting running it for 2 OCIs, since it easily seems capable.

IMG_1586.jpg

I now only run RP 20-400 0n my 06 4.0l tacoma as it is the best I have run for this app for the reasons you describe FU will be no better RP ADBV is the best of all of the bunch Wix was the worst you will pull off a empty can.

Appears the RP filter performed very well. I am going to be purchasing a 4Runner with the same motor. I was thinking about purchasing 10 of the Toyota OEM filter. Has anyone had experience with this filter? If the feedback is poor, I will purchase multiple RP filters. Tha ,s in advance for the feedback.

Originally Posted By: Georgiey22
Appears the RP filter performed very well. I am going to be purchasing a 4Runner with the same motor. I was thinking about purchasing 10 of the Toyota OEM filter. Has anyone had experience with this filter? If the feedback is poor, I will purchase multiple RP filters. Tha ,s in advance for the feedback.

I don't have any test results on OEM, but I'd suggest purchasing one OEM filter and trying it, and go from there. I wouldn't buy 10, but I wouldn't dismiss them in favor of RP.

The RP does cost about $15, so if there is a cheaper alternative (cue the Fram-Boy Chorus), it is worth considering.

Last edited:
No experience with oem filter only the factory can I pulled off just ran the gamut of aftermarket filters till RP was what I was liking out of all of them.

The 4runner 4.0 v6 is a different animal with duel variable valve timing. VvTi IIRC?

Sadly the 4runner takes a cartridge too.

I dont think the Tacoma requires 0w20 either?

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

The 4runner 4.0 v6 is a different animal with duel variable valve timing. VvTi IIRC?

Sadly the 4runner takes a cartridge too.

I dont think the Tacoma requires 0w20 either?

My first (2011) Tacoma was a 4-cylinder, and it required 0w-20 (synthetic). The '15 is a V6 and specs any old 5W-30. Both call for a 5K OCI.

If you can get a Motorcraft filter that fits your app I would try that. They have great ADBVs and are much more value for the money.

Originally Posted By: JerryBob
The section of the faceplate metal behind the ADBV was completely dry, as if it had never come in contact with oil (meaning it sealed well).

3q3qsh.jpg
... how does any part inside the oil filter not come in contact with oil?

I might try Fram and Wix to see how their ADBVs perform.
I ran the FRAM Ultra for 15K and 17K and both of them were full of oil when opened. In addition, the Ford Modular engine is very sensitive to ABDVs (start-up rattle) and I never had it once with the Ultras. YMMV!

The Toyota OEM filters are typically well built however I think their efficiency is likely closer to a wix than a fram ultra. For the price they seem to be the best overall value unless you get an ultra and run it for 2 oci's.

Thanks for you cut and post.. My Fram Ultra on the lady's Camry had 0 oil in it when I got it loosened. It is set up with the open end downward. Before the filters have had some oil in them which leaked out. This one didn't. I'm thinking this Fram Ultra had a bad ADBV. Surprised me a good amount. Now, when I pulled my Fram Ultra 7317 on my Altima that day in which I emptied the oil out if it... It had a lot of oil in it. I emptied the used oil out of it and put it back on. There was a big difference between the two of them.

I agree with others that the Fram Ultra is a very good option here. The Royal Purple oil filters are very very stout though
smile.gif
they are strong as all get out.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
The section of the faceplate metal behind the ADBV was completely dry, as if it had never come in contact with oil (meaning it sealed well).

3q3qsh.jpg
... how does any part inside the oil filter not come in contact with oil?

Oil starved engine

for a few dollars you can pick up the TRD oil filter. They are usually about $9 to 10 dollars online, depending on where you buy. RP and TRD filters are both built by Champ and are almost identical filters. I am running the TRD filter in my Tundra now, but going to go through some hastings that I picked up for $1.14 on rockauto.com for my next 2 OCIs.

check out toyotapartznet.com they have flat $5 shipping on all order under $35, and sell those TRD's for about $9.95

Originally Posted By: Hessam
for a few dollars you can pick up the TRD oil filter. They are usually about $9 to 10 dollars online, depending on where you buy. RP and TRD filters are both built by Champ and are almost identical filters. I am running the TRD filter in my Tundra now, but going to go through some hastings that I picked up for $1.14 on rockauto.com for my next 2 OCIs.

check out toyotapartznet.com they have flat $5 shipping on all order under $35, and sell those TRD's for about $9.95

I like the TRDs, and knew they were pretty much the same filter. The site you mentioned sells it for $9.30, but I can't find shipping for $5. For 2 filters, this is what they want:

$12.49 USPS Priority Mail
$13.64 Standard Ground Shipping
$30.81 FedEx 2Day Express Shipping
$65.12 FedEx Standard Overnight Shipping

I doubled the order to 4, and the shipping options didn't change. Maybe it is geographically-driven. They're in PA.

I can order the RPs online at PepBoys, and apply a discount code, and get 20% off (in-store pickup) I might just go that route.

Last edited:
Last time I ordered from them in July 2015 they had the $5 priority mail shipping option for orders under $35. Since its priority mail it is probably geographically driven, but if u call in your order they might give u the same shipping special they had before.
Btw it's currently showing the shipping cost for 4 of those TRD filters as $7.48 to my zip in VA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back