Honing oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a whetstone/oilstone from the hardware stone to sharpen knives when the need arises. But to be honest, I try to use the blade in such a way that it sharpens as I cut with it (or at least do not dull it).

I would like to know what do you look for in a honing oil. I see what seems to be a light oil for sale, but I didnt get much info from it. I believe it may be best to use cooking oils as it might be wrong to use a petroleum oil on kitchen knives that may contact food.

And bonus points to who points me to the correct procedure.....ie, dip/submerge knife in oil, filet the stone at even angles, wipe with microfiber, then check for sharpness of edge.

I don't consider my knives sharp until I can shave the hair off my arms with them.

Tell me what you want sharp and I'll tell what to sharpen it with.

If the edges are dull, one normally starts with a course stone and then progresses to a fine stone.

Different tools and knives require different techniques.

I use plain old API SA oil in 10 grade. You don't want an oil with any anti-wear additives or friction modifiers, since you want to remove metal via abrasive wear.

If you ever get constipated, you can drink it, and sharpen your knives at the same time! Sold for cheap in lots of stores. Don't get the heavy version. Mineral Oil Intestinal Lubricant
Baby oil works good too, and is cheap if you buy the generic brands, but I don't like the smell on a sharpening stone.

If it's a man made stone, and the stone is clean keep putting a light coating of oil on the stone to it quits soaking it up. Then I just use a light coating of oil to start sharpening. I just add more oil to float the particles, and then dab it off with a paper towel, and then add another light coating to soak in for the next sharpening.

Some people are using Simple Green especially on silicon carbide and aluminum oxide stones which are both my favorites because they are some what cheaper than water or diamond, and the Norton India stone seems to last forever. The Norton Crystolon(silicon carbide) is my absolute favorite though for a traditional stone because the coarse side cuts fast, and the fine side will leave an edge with a good bite.

Here is what Wayne Goddard, a custom knife maker, says about Simple Green: The Wonder of Knife Making

I don't think any oil is necessary. I use a plain porcelain rod and periodically clean the rod with scotchbrite and water. People make to much of the "art" of sharpening knives IMHO

Originally Posted By: Al
People make to much of the "art" of sharpening knives.

They really do. It's almost laughable the way there are so many methods, tools, and articles that carry on about it. I was sharpening knives since I got my first pocket knife when I was a Cub Scout. I've put very sharp edges on knives ever since. Today, everyone makes a Moon shot out of it.

For some people sharpening is just a hobby like anything else. Personally, I find it relaxing to sharpen my knives on bench stones.

Whenever any of you can free hand a knife to hair whittling sharp, I will call you master!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back