4 wheel ABS or 2 wheel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plan to replace the wheel bearing hub assemblies on my 98 Chevy Silverado 4WD with Timken assemblies. There are several options on their website and I need to determine if my truck has 2 wheel ABS or 4 wheel ABS. I know it has ABS on front wheels as I have replaced the sensors in the past. The truck has rear drum brakes so am I correct in thinking it most likely only has ABS on the front wheels? I suppose I would find sensors at the rear wheels somewhere if it has ABS on the rear but wondered if someone knew without me having to pull the rear wheels and check. thanks

Rear sensor could be in the pumpkin, for 3 channel ABS. (Shares the rear wheel data, and ABS to the rear would be all-or-nothing.)

"Two wheel ABS" would be only the rear axle, as it has the most change in load. This was a mid-90s kludge with the available technology, and took the case of the prop valve.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Rear sensor could be in the pumpkin, for 3 channel ABS. (Shares the rear wheel data, and ABS to the rear would be all-or-nothing.)

"Two wheel ABS" would be only the rear axle, as it has the most change in load. This was a mid-90s kludge with the available technology, and took the case of the prop valve.

I would take issue with "the available technology".

Much like throttle body injection, it was a corner-cutting approach. They wanted a pretense of matching the advances that other vehicles had been using for over a decade, without actually moving on from old designs.

Thanks for the replies as it helps me determine which bearing to purchase. Do the rear wheel speed sensors ever go bad and can they be replaced? I can't seem to find any at the parts stores for my application.

I've had the wiring pinched to the point of breaking in the connector *to* the speed sensor.

Originally Posted By: djb

I would take issue with "the available technology".

Much like throttle body injection, it was a corner-cutting approach. They wanted a pretense of matching the advances that other vehicles had been using for over a decade, without actually moving on from old designs.

Remember computing technology wasn't all there, either. I loved TBI over carbs, everything since then was just gravy. Every "goes-outa" (quad driver) cost big money back then.

A '98 K1500 will have a 4 wheel ABS (4WAL)....But only 3 Channels, The 2 front Channels are from the 2 front hub assemblies, The rear Channel comes from the PCM as a "Buffered Signal" calculated from the VSS Sensor on the Transmission.....So If your looking for a wheel speed sensor on the rear axle....Don't bother!

Last edited:

This.

My '94 Ranger has two wheel, or rear wheel ABS, which is basically non-existant ABS. I have never felt it engage (I have felt the brakes lock up), but during the start up cluster flash, it shows "ABS." All systems go.
crackmeup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back