Trick Shift

Status
Not open for further replies.
No but curious about it is it the old or new syn? I know i was going to try some in my regal but its a 98 and some of that fluid says not for 99 or newer so?Used to be when you put in a shift kit it would specify ford type F fluid.Not sure why this is 15 yrs ago.I think the ford fluid foamed less but not sure if that is why it was recommended.I just used Maxlife cause of this site in my regal but TCI and Jegs has decent prices on HP fluid not sure if there is any real difference says it will drop temps 30 degrees.

type F has no friction modifiers so you would get quicker/harder shifts.

B+M Trickshift is a synthetic type F.

In the old days, type F was often used by performance seeking enthusiasts to get firmer shifts in auto trannys.
Longer clutch and band life.
ETs went down 2 tenths or so.
Use it in a new trans? I dunno.. I'd stick with factory types now.

Some guys use it in manual trannys that spec ATF, to help with synchro grab vs. 'normal' ATF.

Originally Posted By: Rand

+ 1

Originally Posted By: heyu
Originally Posted By: Rand

+ 1

Originally Posted By: Stelth
Anybody using B&M Trick Shift? What do you think?

Any anecdotal info anyone could give you would apply to their vehicle, not yours. You might get better answers for your application if you provided some more info.

Brand - Model - Engine - Transmission - Mileage - Intended Usage - etc.

Keith

Originally Posted By: KB2008X
Originally Posted By: Stelth
Anybody using B&M Trick Shift? What do you think?

Any anecdotal info anyone could give you would apply to their vehicle, not yours. You might get better answers for your application if you provided some more info.

Brand - Model - Engine - Transmission - Mileage - Intended Usage - etc.

Keith

I appreciate what you're saying, but I'm looking for anecdotal info. So far, no one has responded who has first hand experience with Trick Shift, so if I narrow down the field, I'll be even more likely not to find someone with experience.

I ran a fill of it close to 20 years ago in a Torqueflite 727, 60s vintage. I doubt the Trick Shift from back then is the same as today's, but it did firm the shifts a bit. I went back to Dexron and put in a shift kit and things got even better, though.

I wouldn't run it in anything with a torque convertor lockup clutch. The main clutch packs and bands are made to engage quickly anyway, but the convertor clutch is modulated and deliberately slipped in many transmissions. You NEED friction modifiers for that, and in fact you often need more than Dexron provides, which is why Chrysler uses ATF+4, Honda uses their special fluid, Hyundai uses another, etc. etc. Its *mostly* for the TC lockup clutch.

So if you've got an old 3-speed or 2-speed without lockup in a muscle car, dragster, or hot rod, then Trick Shift might be great. Anything else- I wouldn't try it.

I gave empirical and vicariously obtained opinions/conclusions.

But even if I had the identical vehicle as your mystery car, my results could easily be varied.

Last edited:
I'm like 440, that [censored] was a LONG time ago.

No need today unless you're running a very old school trans and you want best ET.

BTW, it was never good for .2 IME!

I ran trick shift in one of my modded auto trans Eagle Talon awd turbo cars, that trans took trick shift and didn't blow up but those trans are known for being bullet proof.

It did shift harder, but not nearly as hard as a shift kit with the trans lab black spring of death, which was nothing compared to my GMC Typhoon which shifted so hard putting in the corvette shift kit made them shift softer.

I talked to the owner of Import Performance Trans ( John?) and he recommended not running trick shift in the newer trans as it has too much of the rubber seal conditioner and it actually makes them swell up and cause all kinds of problems. This was the synthetic trick shift.

I would not use it any more. It's much simpler to use exactly what is recomended for the trans or one of the synthetic universal fluids with the correct lube guard product. If you want firmer shifting get a shift kit or a modded valve body.

Grave digging but there's not much info on his fluid, I was looking because I run it in my dirt bikes gearbox (wet clutch dog box trans) and it made a night and day difference in clutch performance and shift action

Many race transmission builders recommend tractor hydraulic fluid, or universal tractor fluid. One recommended for wet brakes and clutches. It has no friction modifiers like type F, works at insanely high tempps, and has antifoaming properties that make it ideal for transbrake applications. I have read that it does work well with lockup converters in Ford OAD transmissions. IDK personally.

I will be putting UTF in a Ford 4R70W in the near future and will update on this thread.

What vehicle, what transmission, what application: Dailydriver, circle track racing, tracking?

Factory tranny or rebuilt TH400?

It is basically a type "F" fluid as it meets Ford ESW-M2C33-F.

If your transmission requires a friction modified fluid, don't use it.

Quote:
It has no friction modifiers like type F.

What a load of misinformation.

UTHF's and UTTF's are loaded with friction modifiers precisely for wet clutch wet brake applications.

Quote:
I will be putting UTF in a Ford 4R70W in the near future and will update on this thread.

Let us know how long it lasts.
grin.gif

Last edited:
I can tell you it (B&M Trick Shift) works wonderful in MX bikes with wet clutches! My sons KTM 50 (with the notorious centrifugal shoe clutches that plagued them) will run a full hare Scramble or enduro race and pull hills on lap 10 like it did on lap 1, other bikes slip so bad many don't finish.

Originally Posted By: asand1
Many race transmission builders recommend tractor hydraulic fluid, or universal tractor fluid. One recommended for wet brakes and clutches. It has no friction modifiers like type F, works at insanely high tempps, and has antifoaming properties that make it ideal for transbrake applications. I have read that it does work well with lockup converters in Ford OAD transmissions. IDK personally.

You will like the utf. I have been running it in my a518 that gets abused by a turned up cummins. I also have been running it in a hyundai elantra and camery for over 20k miles. Just seems to make clutches bite way better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back