Who makes the Valucraft Auto Zone batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm re-considering a swap I did. Last week I received a new Valucraft battery for no charge (an exchange out a vehicle I bought to resell). $74 after core removed if you bought it, 75-VL 550 CCA, 1 year warranty with a fresh receipt. There is a almost 4 year old Deka battery in another car here, same size, more CCA. At first I swapped the two batteries because I would rather keep the one with a warranty in something I drive. Then I put the Deka on my trusty 6 amp charger and it went below 2 quickly which means the battery is very healthy. I think I might keep the Deka and send this new battery on it's way.

Either way I'd like to know who makes the Valucraft units, maybe Johnson Controls like their others. I could not find any speculation online.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
i dont know but wal mart has one for $68.88

Walmart has ValuePower line, maybe the same cheap internals. I will say that the ValuCraft battery when the weather was warmer did well. It was in a 5.7L Silverado truck that had been sitting for months because of a idling issue and hard starting problem. I cranked and cranked and cranked and cranked that thing several times so I could move it for the tow truck and then around at home. It held a charge without use for quite a long time.

I bought the truck off a chick that knew nothing about cars, I was expecting a TBI problem. Turned out the gas tank was almost empty! It started sputtering on a ride home and she parked it assuming something major was wrong.

i dont know but wal mart has one for $48.88

Ewwww! NeverMaxx! Mexico [censored] batteries! NO!

Get a Johnson Controls Inc sourced battery. I can think of a few companies and labels, including Interstate and an Auto Zone competitor, that do not use Exide or a Mexico source for their batteries.

Originally Posted By: Brasileno
i dont know but wal mart has one for $48.88

Ewwww! NeverMaxx! Mexico [censored] batteries! NO!

Get a Johnson Controls Inc sourced battery. I can think of a few companies and labels, including Interstate and an Auto Zone competitor, that do not use Exide or a Mexico source for their batteries.

33.gif
Walmart batteries are made by Johnson Controls.

Just because the battery stopped taking amps doesn't mean anything, the true measures would be specific gravity of the electrolyte, sometimes when batteries stop taking amps quickly it's also because they have lost a lot of capacity and won't accept much.

A load test wouldn't hurt either.

I've bought my last three batteries at Walmart, what's wrong with it? They have lasted as long as a battery I've bought anywhere else.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
See, I think Johnson Controls batteries are junk, too.

I will only use East Penn made (NAPA, DEKA,) Odyssey, or Varta.

I suspect that Johnson Controls makes the Walmart battery to a specific standard. The Johnson control Costco/Kirkland were much better for me. East Penn/ Duracell from Sams appears to be also built to a higher spec. Maybe we should cut some open?

Originally Posted By: kschachn
I've bought my last three batteries at Walmart, what's wrong with it? They have lasted as long as a battery I've bought anywhere else.
I've got three "Everstarts" in Camrys, two of them approaching 8 years old. What's the REAL "don't buy Walmart" agenda?
BTW I think DEKA makes good stuff.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: kschachn
I've got three "Everstarts" in Camrys, two of them approaching 8 years old. What's the REAL "don't buy Walmart" agenda?
BTW I think DEKA makes good stuff.

Are they the 'Maxx' or the regular Everstart?

I just replaced 2 Everstart 1 yr warranty walmart batteries in our hunting truck that were approaching 10 years old.. Put the $48 value batteries back in. I load tested them vs the Autocraft Gold in my 88 (which was rated as a stronger battery) could tell no difference in cranking amps.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
In order or Quality

1. East Penn
2. Crown
4. JC
4 Exide

http://www.crownbattery.com/

I could not see any prices for the Crown batteries. But they did have pictures of the insides of their competitors. Some are obviously cheaply made.

Crown are very high quality, at a lower price than East Penn

They do not retail, see you local distributor.

Last edited:
I see a lot of used car dealers using the $48.88 battery from wal mart and they seem to be the best for the price. I think they are made by johnson controls but i could be wrong.. I would also like to see the pictures of the insides of their batteries..

I see a lot of used car dealers using the $48.88 battery from wal mart and they seem to be the best for the price. I think they are made by johnson controls but i could be wrong.. I would also like to see the pictures of the insides of their batteries..

I'm not sure how a thread asking about an Auto Zone (see title) battery turned into a whole thread about Walmart and other batteries. LOL. Not complaining, there is still useful battery intel in here.

I believe all of the cheaper batteries out there at autozone/advance/walmart are made by Johnson controls. Walmart is just the cheapest place to get them.

My statement about not shopping at Wallys was supposed to be sarcasm / irony statement,,,,joking ....I shop at Wallys, buy oil there sometimes, clothes, food,,,so there,,,,lol.

Sometimes folks wear their undies way tooooo tight....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back