AC delco Spark plugs- 3800 S3 (2006 Lacrosse)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at plugs for my 2006 Lacrosse 3.8. I already ordered ACDelco wires. Everyone says that GMs run better on Delco plugs, specifically the ones that came on the car.

O'Reilly lists several Delco numbers:

-ACDelco "conventional" 41-601 ($2.49) "conventional", whatever that means.

-ACDelco Professional Platinum 41-902 ($6.49)

-ACDelco Professional Iridium 41-101 ($6.99)

I want to stick with ACDelco. The car has 140K, plugs may be original and wires are original. I want to keep the car for a while definitely, and would like longer life (100,00 miles would be good). SO, which plugs? I have no problem spending $7 a plug, but what's the difference? I've looked and all the forums people say "use OEM". But these are all OEM. And would the life be 100,000 on them all? I don't want a "fancy" plug that doesn't work as well as what I have now. Thanks everybody!

**O'Reilly lists a 100,000 mile warranty for each plug. Clear as mud.

Last edited:
I don't trust retailers' parts catalogs. What's its owners manual specify?

fwiw I run OE ACDelco iridium (41-104 & 41-110) in my GMs and they work well. btw they're often even more reasonable from Amazon.

$.02

Owners manual specs 41-101. That's the "professional iridium" @ $6.99 each. Is that what you'd use? I know it's hard to go wrong with the manual...

Last edited:
Yes, go with what the manual specs. Are you sure it needs wires? It may even have coil packs. Prob wouldn't replace those till around 200k.

For plugs you can check prices on rockauto and amazon.

4.35 after rebate:

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-41-101-Professional-Iridium-Spark/dp/B000BYEKCY/ref=pd_sbs_263_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=41A6spbmvDL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1QBDMPPZJ5AJ0V675WEG

Last edited:
GM distributorless systems have a waste spark,they fire every rotation not just power stroke.100K miles = 200K on an old car (1970s etc),use the good ones

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Iridium so you don't ever have to change them again

+1 this

It is almost impossible to change spark plugs on most transverse V6 engines, and many 3800's even require a crowbar to tilt the engine forward in order to get access!

FWIW, that particular plug, the AC 41-101, is actually a reboxed NGK. If you look on the side, on that ring between the hex and the threads, you'll see ITR4A15. For some reason, the AC branded plugs are actually cheaper than the NGK-boxed part
crazy2.gif

The NGK part number is 5599, if you want to compare prices. The only meaningful difference is that some of the 41-101's are US-made, whereas all 5599's are made in Japan.

NGK Laser Iridium plugs are awesome and are more than capable of lasting way beyond 100k and could even make it to 200k. Definitely worth the $7
smile.gif

Changed my son's Malibu OEM plugs at 125k. The same plug put back in. OEM plugs looked great.

Bought the ACDelco Iridiums (41-101). They were 6.99, and I had a $10 coupon at AAP. Thanks everybody for your help. I appreciate all the info.

Originally Posted By: TmanP
Bought the ACDelco Iridiums (41-101). They were 6.99, and I had a $10 coupon at AAP. Thanks everybody for your help. I appreciate all the info.

NGK makes AC Delco plugs

Last edited:
AC Delco Iridium or NGK Iridium. Why mess with a good, proven thing? I wouldn't be surprised if the platinum ones are made by NGK or even Denso, but the cost difference is so small.

AC Delco coppers look like Fram/Autolite product.

Last edited:
AC Delco Iridium 41-101, they are OE. This engine uses waste spark ignition and requires a double precious metal electrode plug to prevent excessive gap erosion.
Conventional (no precious metal) plugs are not a real option for this engine, they will work but have a very short life span and can over stress the ignition system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back