Is this rust on my camshaft? 2004 Maxima

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcy

First off all, someone at Nissan should be beaten with a stick. I used to have a 2000 Maxima with the 3.0 litre V6 and the rear spark plugs were accessible without dismantling half the engine. This 2004 with the 3.5, the intake manifold collector has to come off, which means extra money for a new gasket as well as the cost of the plugs, and way more of my time spent bent over in the engine bay.

Anyhow. I also had to replace the rear valve cover gasket as it was leaking oil pretty bad. I took a pic of the innards while the cover was off. I'm the second owner - previous owner had the vehicle serviced at the stealership, so I assume regular non-synthetic oil. I've been running synth - whatever is on sale - so far Pennzoil Platinum/Pure, Mobil 1 and Castrol Edge and once Castrol Edge Extended Performance. I got the car at 178 000 kilometres about a year ago, and it now has 210 000 kilometres.

So, is that rust on my camshaft? If it is, what would be causing it and why only in those two spots (and more in the upper spot). I meant to scrape this stuff with my finger nail and see if it came off, but completely forgot.

30ncj91.jpg

2qnod1k.jpg

2qi4702.jpg

2vczv2c.jpg

Here's the nightmare to change the plugs. Intake manifold collector on and off.

2qx704h.jpg

zjxb8n.jpg

Last edited:
Lol...no cold air intake and no high speed in inclement weather. I think the rear bank on this 3.5 vq runs hot anyway - that's why the rear valve cover gasket is known to perish.

It certainly is rust.

The dry and bare metal,without adequate film of oils, somehow comes into contact with water(vapour) and O2 from ambients.

Was it under prolonged duration of storage in a moist ambients ?

Hard to say if it's rust or not. Soak a piece of paper towel with some rust penetrating oil and wrap it around that area on the cams and let it soak for a while to see if something comes off or not.

I guess they are all rusted. The ones rusted blue are the motorsport cams. Come on guys, these are normal paint markings.

vq35de10_zpsbopaq9tm.jpg

Last edited:
Travel, Phshin..thanks. I had no idea, as I've never had the valve covers off any car I've ever owned. I'm glad the manufacturer uses rust coloured paint...lol

Originally Posted By: rcy
Travel, Phshin..thanks. I had no idea, as I've never had the valve covers off any car I've ever owned. I'm glad the manufacturer uses rust coloured paint...lol

Trav that is..not Travel. And Phishin, not Phshin. Stupid spell check, and..really..I can't edit a post after a fixed amount of time?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back