420cc MTD Powermore oil change questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I just bought a small Sears Craftsman lawn tractor made by MTD, and it's got a Chinese 420cc OHV engine with full pressure lubrication.

I've got a couple of oil-related questions that I was hoping someone here might be able to help with. The oil filter has a really weird thread (1-12) and I can't find a cross for it...no way am I paying $12 or $15 for a Sears or MTD-branded one. Has anybody ever found an aftermarket filter that fits this engine?

The other issue is the placement of the oil drain plug will cause the waste oil to pour all over everything. In the past, on all my old splash-lubricated engines, I always put threaded plumbing nipples in to make it easier to drain the oil. The only problem I've ever had was on a low-time generator with a 6 HP Briggs that blew up on me last year, less than a minute after starting it after an oil change with Supertech full synthetic 10-30w.

The only thing I'd done differently on that one, is that I added a 90° elbow at the end. I'm not an engineer, but I can't imagine that adding an extension pipe and/or an elbow to a drain plug would cause a problem. Then again, I dunno if that genny engine was just a coincidence.

Anyway, the new engine isn't splash-lubricated and I don't know if that makes a difference. Anyone else have any experience with oil drain extension pipes, or can share an informed opinion?

Thanks in advance! Carl

Not sure about the filter. Do you have the part number? That will probably help in finding a cross reference.

I don't see how adding an extension to the drain would cause any problems. The MTD riding mowers I've dealt with have had a valve for the oil drain, and came with a piece of tubing that connects to the valve for easy direction of the drain oil.

looks like the oem part is 11$
751-11501

which also replaces
951-12690, 751-12690, and 751-11501

(yes their desc says 751-11501 replaces 751-11501...
33.gif
?

http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-420cc-ohv-engines-oil-filter-751-11501/p-07124601000P

edit:

also discussed here previously
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3324394/Craftsman_oil_filter_croosrefe

not sure where you see a weird thread size at?

couldnt find much but it appeared to be a normal metric size.

Craftsman420cc.png

Last edited:
Motorcraft FL-400S and equivalents work. I use a Wix 51516 on mine. There are shorter filters but I do not know the part numbers.

A Purolator 241 or a Fram 3614 have the same thread size as the Motorcraft FL 400 but are about an inch shorter. I use them on my Craftsman tractor.

An oil drain extension will not have a negative impact on the engine unless of course the oil level is lower or it leaks. Many of my engines have some threaded pipe on the drains because they are usually located in bad places where they make a mess. I haven't had any problems.

The oil filter I use on my machines is a Wix 1348. Its a bit shorter than the FL-400s.

Thanks for the solid replies, everyone!

I did read the thread linked by Rand, as well as a couple of others, but I didn't think anyone really addressed the 1-12 thread issue, and the FL400S is definitely a 3/4-16 thread.

By the way, here's the link with the specs on the OEM filter:

Powermore 420cc Oil Filter

Last edited:
Part #83-282, for any mower engine is the same,this will also cross reference to any major brand of oil filter,I work at a autozone store,and I will post part number's of other filter makes,as for the oil drain tube,turn the wheels to the right slide the tube under the steering connector rod,it will fit tight under the steering connector rod and under the drain plug,and drain perfectly

I looked around a bit, and couldn't find any possible replacement.

Can you verify that 1-12 thread on the actual part? It sure would be great if that was a typo.

Originally Posted By: DSparks
[censored] is a 1-12 thread???????.....has to be a typo..

I was thinking the same thing.

I bought a new Craftsman 29000 last summer, and just recently started looking for reasonably priced oil filters for its next oil change. I have wasted tons of hours going down rabbit holes on this question after following several false leads and a lot of misinformation handed out by sources with good intentions.

Folks- just because info is listed on the Internet doesn't mean that "specifications" are accurate. I believe the source of the weird thread size spec comes from Tractor Supply's website for their replacement filter. The filter is correct, by the way, and I bought one for my rider's first oil change for $12.99. But I believe the thread size they list is incorrect. Even Sears' specs have inaccurate/incomplete info.

The only oil filter manufacturer's website with a cross-reference match for the MTD/Sears 951-12690 oil filter is WIX. The Wix filter is #57890. NAPA sells the same filter under their own name with the #7890 for about $11.50 (Jan, 2016).

The Wix site is excellent, and they provide every possible spec on their filters. I also called a NAPA store and they confirmed the match with the original filter. I kept my old filter and measured all its dimensions, and the Wix filter's are identical.

One well-meaning guy listed (on two different forums) a whole bunch of different filters that he said would fit this mower. Someone returned a reply with a picture showing that the very first filter he suggested was too big. So I checked out the dimensions on several of his filter choices, and ALL of them had a diameter that was too large. I think I know why he came to that faulty conclusion, but no point discussing it now.

I used the Wix site to search by thread size (3/4x16) to find any correct diameter filter. Then I cross-referenced those on other manufacturers' websites. Sure enough, there ARE some other filters of the same diameter that are an inch longer. They should fit just fine, but I found that the BYPASS valve setting was significantly higher than the Wix filter. From further research, I decided not to risk that.

About PRICE: with a bit of shopping, you can pay around $10 to $11 (Amazon) instead of the $15 to $20 price for the OEM filter from Sears or MTD. However, I found a really great price at Filter1.com-- on special for $6.94 and I paid no tax. If your order is at least $50, shipping is free. They carry only Wix filters, which are top-notch, so I ordered a few filters for the mower and a few for my Corvair (not always easy to find), and got free shipping to boot.

Yeah, this was a long post-- sorry. But it will take an interested filter shopper a heck of a lot less time to read than several days of research.

By the way, once my new filters arrive and I change oil mid-season of 2016, I'll update this post to confirm the fit of the Wix filter. Still, it should be fine as the dimensions are the same. I don't think the threads are any different, either, but I'll let you know.

One last point- I rigged up a much better oil drain system with a shut-off valve. One mess like that first time was enough! --If anyone wants to know more, just say so.

Akrondave, Is the oil filter mounting so particular on this rider that you have to keep the exact diameter of the OEM oil filter?

Obviously it's got to thread on and the mounting base and gasket has to be proper.

In regards to bypass setting, IMO, this has nothing to do with the lubrication system on the engine. Bypass settings are going to vary based on the specifics of the filter. Generally, a larger surface area will require a lower bypass dP to keep the media from rupturing. Bypass settings are there to protect the filter.

Last edited:
About the oil change pipe; you can also put a heavy duty rubber hose with press-on fittings. That way you could just pull it out to change regardless of what's in front of that hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back