Quick Lube used wrong filter on friends mom's car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went over to my friends house yesterday to work on his '96 Ram 2500 Cummins. While I was doing that I saw a Jiffy Lube sticker on his mom's car so I intentionally bugged her, "you bring your car to Jiffy Lube?" she replied "is that bad? They always try to upsell me stuff." Blah blah blah skip the small talk. I crawled under to look at which filter would a quick lube here, since I've never brought anything to one before. I saw WPH48 so I'm assuming its similar size to a ACDelco PF48. But doesn't this take a FL500S or Wix 57502 or similar. Looking at the bypass of a Wix 57060, PF48 equivalent bypass is just 12 PSI while the 57502 is 22 PSI. The filter that they used is awfully short since its not the correct size.

TL;DR, everything on the filter is different except thread pitch.

Her car is a '11 Ford Explorer 3.5L with 103K KM / 64K Miles
Qx07qAp.jpg

Typical of Jiffy lube to cut corners. They are trying to get away with carrying the fewest number of filters on hand. So they install the smallest filter that will screw in without thought about bypass specs.

Looks like that's just she short version of the filter that's called for.

PF48 vs PF63
L12222 vs L22500
PH10060 vs PH10575
etc.

For a 3k OCI that I'm sure the quicklube place will almost certainly recommend, it's fine, especially on a car that new.

Originally Posted By: Run
Typical of Jiffy lube to cut corners. They are trying to get away with carrying the fewest number of filters on hand. So they install the smallest filter that will screw in without thought about bypass specs.
I don't think it's peculiar to Iffy Lube. The whole quick-lube industry is going that way...

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Looks like that's just she short version of the filter that's called for.

PF48 vs PF63
L12222 vs L22500
PH10060 vs PH10575
etc.

For a 3k OCI that I'm sure the quicklube place will almost certainly recommend, it's fine, especially on a car that new.

Not sure how much mileage Iffy Lube wants her to put on per OCI but her sticker said go back at 109K KM and her car has 103K on it now. I'll check when I go over later today. To see when she went in, looking one of those filters cut open, they're not very pleasing to most BITOGers eyes.

Last edited:
Many suppliers of quick lube filters consolidate filter part numbers to keeps costs low and reduce inventory. It's practically a standard practice among the quick lube industry.

Originally Posted By: sir1900
Many suppliers of quick lube filters consolidate filter part numbers to keeps costs low and reduce inventory. It's practically a standard practice among the quick lube industry.

Yup.

I'd be far more worried about them opening the air box to check the filter and not getting back together correctly.

AC-DELCO PF63
AUTOLITE FOR OIL FILTERS AL10575
BALDWIN B7449
CARQUEST 84502
CASITE CF641
CASTROL CAS10060
CHAMP PH500
DEFENSE DL10575
DRIVE WORKS DW-2500
FIRESTONE PH500
FLYING F PH10575
FORD AA5Z-6714-A
FORD BU2Z-6731-A
FRAM HIGH MILEAGE OIL FILTERS HM10575
FRAM PRO SERIES FP10575
GENERAL MOTORS 89017525
GROUP 7 V2500
HASTINGS LF637
HASTINGS LF637F
HASTINGS LF641
HASTINGS LF641F
LUBER-FINER PH500
MAZDA ZZC4-23-802
MICROGARD MGL10575
MILEGUARD MO10060
MOBIL M1-212
MOBIL MO500
MOBIL PH500
MOTORCRAFT FL-2055
MOTORCRAFT FL-500S
NAPA 7502
PENNZOIL PZ-173
PENTIUS PLB10575
PRONTO PO-2500
PUROLATOR L22500
STP S10590
SUPERTECH ST10060
TOUGH GUARD TG10575
ULTRA XG10575
WIX 57502

Fram Ultra XG10575:
Anti-Drainback Valve YES
Base Gasket I.D. 2.454
Base Gasket O.D. 2.756
By-Pass Valve Setting 9-15
Height 4.06
Inside Diameter 22mmx1.5mm Th'd
Outside Diameter 2.984
Style 1
Turning Specification 3/4-1

AC-Delco PF48E:
Anti-Drainback Valve: Yes
Case Diameter: 2.95 in
Efficiency: 98% @ 30mc mc
Filter Bypass Relief Valve: Yes
Filter Type/Category: 3" Oil
Gasket Inside Diameter: 2.39 in
Gasket Outside Diameter: 2.77 in
Height: 3.34 in
Maximum Burst Pressure: 300 PSI
Oil Filter Type: 3" Oil
Relief Valve Opening Pressure: 18-24 PSI
Spin On: Yes
Thread Size: M22 x 1.5 (Special)

In regards to your inquiry about PF63 oil filters, the PF63 is replacing the PF48 therefore any application that calls for a PF48 will now use a PF63. Again thanks for using ACDelco.
If you have any other questions, please contact our experts at the ACDelco support center by dialing 1-800-ACDELCO (223-3526).
Regards,
ACDelco Internet Response Team

So offer to change her oil for her and make some money/insure she has the right filter.

Apart from the jiffy lube sticker there is silver tape presumably sealing leaks on the heat exchanger.
Wonder how many other half-a55ed botch jobs are lurking around the vehicle..

That's just good business practice IF it doesn't result in a lower quality end product or service.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

That's just good business practice IF it doesn't result in a lower quality end product or service.

That filter looks like a Service Champ, and filter consolidation probably was the reason that filter was put on.

On the quality issue, I can say for sure that it can and does reduce the quality. For example: My Oldsmobile GM 3.1 used Service Champ oil filter OF173, and it's height is 4.44 inches and outside diameter is three inches. The OF173 was consolidated last year to the Service Champ OF111, and it's height is 3.11 inches and it's outside diameter is 2.98 inches. I would think there is less media in the shorter filter, so that would shorten filter life too unless they are using some type of new media, but I doubt it.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Apart from the jiffy lube sticker there is silver tape presumably sealing leaks on the heat exchanger.

That is heat shield material for hoses. Lots of newer cars have it. Helps a bit with hose life.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Originally Posted By: Olas

That is heat shield material for hoses. Lots of newer cars have it. Helps a bit with hose life.
smile.gif

+1

Hasn't it been said here before that a bypass setting doesn't matter?

Fram's bypass specs are far different than Subaru and Audi filters for example.

If there is a difference, I guess I am failing to see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back