2015 Dodge Ram w/ 3.6L Pentastar. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Robster, 8 reflashes or "relearns". The last time they said drive it at least 1500 miles, still messed up. RAM knows about this and now is telling buyers "its a programmed cold start process to help warmed up the trans". Really? Then why didn't it do it when new? I think I'll start bothering them again.

Got this engine in a Jeep GC 2015. With the 8 speed it pulls like an eight cylinder, and getting around US 21 mpg in local mixed driving. Great powertrain.

Originally Posted By: Ed_T
Got this engine in a Jeep GC 2015. With the 8 speed it pulls like an eight cylinder, and getting around US 21 mpg in local mixed driving. Great powertrain.

I agree. We have a 2014 GC Overland 4x4 and are very pleased.

Thanks for the comments guys!. . . I only have about 800 miles on it right now, but so far I think it's a "keeper". I know earlier years trannys had some software bugs, but based on forum chatter it seems like it got worked out before MY2015. As it stands now, the 8-speed in my truck shifts great, almost imperceptibly. At 65 MPH it tachs at about 1400 RPMs in 8th gear, which makes it very quiet to ride in. --Rob

had one as a rental recently. it struggles to go into reverse, but overall adequate when going forard. long term i would go with the hemi, but its fine for a rental.

My RAM goes back in shop for "2nd" valve bank next week. If this doesn't work RAM says to rebuild transmission. Mine is behind a Charger 3.6 and RAM 1500 getting trans rebuilt right now.

My RAM goes back in shop for "2nd" valve bank next week. If this doesn't work RAM says to rebuild transmission. Mine is behind a Charger 3.6 and RAM 1500 getting trans rebuilt right now.

I had a chrysler T&C rental last year obviously with the 3.6 pentastar and that thing hauled like no ones business. Having driven late model v6's from nearly every manufacturer, it is of my opinion that the Pentastar is the star performer. Its not the most powerful but its smooth power delivery and the whole overall package is what makes it a great work horse.

I love Honda's v6 too but I mean come on its 2016, timing belts were cool and all in the 20th century. If i cant drive an engine to 300,000 miles without tearing the engine apart for schedule maintenance (belt, valve adjustment), it aint sitting in my driveway. I take care of my cars and repair them as needed but why in the heck would I want to take my engine apart for scheduled maintenance? I havent taken a valve cover off in yeeeeeeeears and Id like to keep it that way.

I dont know too much about the 8 speed tranny issues but FIAT better get that [censored] together soon because they goofed up on the transmission on the Dart when it came out and FIAT basically said "Oh if the transmission light comes on and you smell/see smoke you need a new transmission, but its on back order and we dont know why they fail".

Basically if dodge would pair a manual tranny to the pentastar and offer it in the Charger im pretty sure there would be ppl coming from premium and luxury car brands buying up that drivetrain combo. Just sayin! Build it Dodge!

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
It isn't a Fiat trans...the 8-speed is a ZF trans!

It's actually a ZF-designed transmission manufactured under license by Chrysler. The 845RE 8-speed is used across many vehicles in the Chrysler line, including the Ram trucks. Failures of this particular transmission seem to be the exception rather than the rule. . . I have only a 1000 miles on my 2015 Ram so far, but as of right now I'm impressed by it. . . stay tuned!

Originally Posted By: Robster

It's actually a ZF-designed transmission manufactured under license by Chrysler. The 845RE 8-speed is used across many vehicles in the Chrysler line, including the Ram trucks. Failures of this particular transmission seem to be the exception rather than the rule. . . I have only a 1000 miles on my 2015 Ram so far, but as of right now I'm impressed by it. . . stay tuned!

Actually it's both! They used a mix of purchased and in-house built units while they got the plant in Hooserville running well. Now it is exclusively in-house units. RAM uses 2 versions, one for the six cylinders and one for the V8.

Ours has well over 20k HARD miles on it, just as sweet and smooth as ever. Sure seems like a great truck.

And despite the claims of rear end ratios being somehow irrelevant due to 8 gears the shorter rear ends (higher numerically) do affect the driving experience. The transmission having two overdrives allows a very short gear (mine has 3.90's) to be used with no mileage penalty and GREAT performance...

Yes it is a ZF design.

Used for many years now in BMW, Audi, Jaguar, Bentley, and more. I'm especially impressed with Bentley as they have high horsepower and AWD...

I love those Ram trucks. If I ever need a new truck, those would be high on my list. I don't like that Mopar is making their regular cab 1500s in Mexico, though.

I dont care who builds it or whose design it is. It just has to work and do what its designed to do. And if it fails, the blame is going to FIAT since the end product is theirs. But from what ive gathered on the new RAM 8 speed, its very smooth. An old co worker bought one and loves it thus far.

And the only reason I'm saying FIAT instead of chrysler is because I like the way it sounds.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
I love those Ram trucks. If I ever need a new truck, those would be high on my list. I don't like that Mopar is making their regular cab 1500s in Mexico, though.

The engine in my Ram (3.6L Pentastar) is made in MX, the tranny is made in the U.S. and final assembly was in Warren, MI. The MX plant makes the full line of Ram trucks, not just the standard cab, depending on demand. I haven't heard anything negative about quality at the MX plant.

I will chime in about my Pentastar powered 2015 regular cab long bed 2wd. It is made in Mexico, which bothered me as I have been a union member my entire working life, as were my dad and grandpa (bricklayers). What I found is that the Pentastar has plenty of power, starts and runs flawlessly, even this morning at -14F and a -30F windchill. It is smooth and quiet and there are no squeaks or rattles in the cab. The paint is flawless. It is a very well made truck.

For nearly 3 decades I drove heavy 3/4 ton Chevys. They had 350s and later the 6L motors. This Pentastar with the ZF 8 speed and 3.21 gears is as quick or quicker than the 6L was and MUCH quicker than the 350ci was. It has 115 more HP than the 350 in my '91 did and almost as much as the 6L did. It can't compete on torque, but the 8 speed has a very large first gear and it works quite well off the line, even when towing. On steep hills it can bog down at highway speeds a bit with heavy loads, but for a half ton that is empty 95% of the time, this truck is awesome! It is winter here in Wisconsin and I am averaging about 19.5 in town driving 3 miles each way to work. If I get on the highway at 60 mph I am getting 25 mpg now, but I got 29+ on a trip last summer at 60 mph and relatively flat land. My overall average since getting the truck is 23 mpg. I use PUP 5W-20 and ethanol free regular 100% gasoline.

Originally Posted By: Robster

The engine in my Ram (3.6L Pentastar) is made in MX, the tranny is made in the U.S.
ZF transmissions are made in the US? Huh, I didn't know that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back