2015 Tacoma, 5183mi., Amsoil Signature 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed this oil and filter after this sample was taken. I know several of you are not happy with the short interval for this type of oil. But for the current interval, I am taking it out to 10,000 miles to see how it goes. I am using Mobil 1 M1-209 filters.

The silicon is from sealers, so the fact that it is still high doesn't concern me. The copper is from the engine oil cooler, so I am not worried about that as well. The level of Iron, although clearly far from a problematic level, was a slight surprise, I somewhat expected it to be lower. So I think break in was still completing during this run. Having said that, on a ppm/mile basis, iron did go down a bit.

Anyone think I should do a UOA without changing the oil prior to the 10K mark on this interval?

Originally Posted By: btanchors
Anyone think I should do a UOA without changing the oil prior to the 10K mark on this interval?

Nope, you'll be fine to go 10k miles.

It looks good, the engine is still breaking in. What oil is spec'd for the engine? It looks like you started with a 20 grade oil.

Thanks for the post, but jeez man, change oil much? If I'm gonna waste money, I'd rather do it on some King Crab legs.

bigt61 -

Funny you mention that - we're having King Crab Legs tonight for dinner :)

KingCake. Disagree here. Having owned 9 Toyotas and performing UOAs on most of them, Silicon has always been elevated significantly for the first few oil changes. This continues after the break in process, with metals returning to normal before the silicon levels do - which to me means the silicon is not dirt.

There is SOMETHING Toyota uses that causes Silicon to leach into the oil for the first 20,000 miles or so. Why do you think Toyota doesn't use it? I can show you several UOAs on different Toyotas that suggests differently.

The copper is from the engine oil cooler, so I am not worried about that as well.

Are you sure about that ? Because that's a lot of bearing wear if you're wrong.

I think you should switch to something proven to provide low wear numbers like Chevron Supreme.

Yes, Merk, a 5,000 mile interval on Amsoil SS 5w-30 is causing catastrophic wear on a new vehicle.
whistle.gif

You can't make meaningful recommendations on brand by comparing UOAs. That's been long established. You sure as heck can't do it on a new vehicle with 10,000 miles on it. No matter what is suggested, break in levels will work there way and things will improve. That doesn't mean one took a preferred course of action. That's just how things go.

If one is wishing to chase UOA results, one should do frequent oil changes with bypass filtration - spends piles of money and do a lot of work. If one actually wishes to use UOA results (rather than have them as an end in themselves), one should pay attention to whether or not the lubricant should be condemned.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
The copper is from the engine oil cooler, so I am not worried about that as well.

Are you sure about that ? Because that's a lot of bearing wear if you're wrong.

I think you should switch to something proven to provide low wear numbers like Chevron Supreme.

Merkava_4 - Yes, I am sure about the engine oil cooler. This is my third Toyota pickup truck equipped with the towing package which includes an engine oil cooler. As I was explaining to KingCake above, I've seen this exact pattern before - High Copper and High Silicon for 20K - 30K miles. The remaining metals trend downward to very low levels well before the Copper and Silicon does.

Not sure what to say about the Chevron Supreme - I was unaware it had been shown to provide low wear numbers.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
It looks good, the engine is still breaking in. What oil is spec'd for the engine? It looks like you started with a 20 grade oil.

5W-30 is spec'd for this engine, and that is what I have been using for every fill. You've noticed something that I have also noticed - the oil keeps shearing to almost a 20-weight (or perhaps it is measuring as a 20-weight - I forget the exact point where is it considered a 20-weight). I suspect the factory fill was probably a 30 weight as well.

Toyota engines in general seem to be pretty gentle on oil. This is my first experience with their 4.0 V6. I can't help but wonder what's causing the shearing in this engine, but it doesn't look that bad.

Last edited:
Mobil 1 0W40 it. 13.5 cSt @100ºC, HTHSV = 3.8, proven wear numbers in many demanding applications,$5/quart at wally...sure it's not technically what the manual calls for but you seem to want what's best for your truck.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: KingCake
toyota doesn't use silicone
What is FIPG?

urethane rubber

Amsoil SS is certainly a great oil. With the price of M1 EP at Walmart in jugs so low, I'd be using that for a while (GroupIII/PAO oil).

Using a Fram Ultra oil filter and one of the elite drain plug magnets might help get more iron particles out. (There was an old post here where the Ultra was getting out 80% of >5 micron particles, something the paper/glass M1 filter likely can't reach.)

I've seen oil shear down a bit at first, like yours did, down 1 cst, early on, only to have some amount of oxidation as more miles accumulate cause a recovery back to normal.

Originally Posted By: MobilinHyundia
Why use Amsoil now? Use some cheaper synthetic oil untill engine is properly run in.

Well, it's something of a moot point now, as beginning with the most recent oil fill, I am now running it to 10K miles before my next change - I will post the UOA results at that time.

Also - lubricatosaurous - You might be right about the initial shearing, I think I remember reading that some of the newer oil formulations will shear a bit initially, to improve fuel economy, but will thicken as time goes on. Perhaps with these early UOAs, I am observing the portion where is thins initially, but am not leaving it in long enough to see it thicken back up. We'll see what the 10K UOA results show, which will probably be around September.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back