Grease for clothes dryer drum wheel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, What is a good lubricant for the wheels supporting the drum in a clothes dryer? I am replacing the belt and as long as the dryer is taken apart, I might as well lubricate the wheels (rollers). The rollers have a steel axle and what looks like brass on the contact part of the roller. My rollers are the same as these:
http://www.repairclinic.com/Shop-For-Parts/a8-x3639383331/69831-Dryer-Parts
The description says "As the bearing in the roller wears, it self-lubricates so no grease is needed." But I seek the advice of you lubrication experts. They roll a lot better after removing 10 years of hair and lint. :)

5w30 ?
75w90 gear oil?
Grease? (I have Lucas Red N Tacky #2, Mystik JT-6 Hi-Temp. Lith. Complex #2, and SuperLube synthetic grease.)

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Do you lubricate the tires on your car?

I think he means the axles, not the wheels

Thanks! One of few BITOG posts where the right lubrication is to add no lubrication. Too bad for me I already applied Mystic JT-6.

>>Do you lubricate the tires on your car?
LOL! Yes, I live in Washington state and we have water on the road for 9 months of the year. Earlier today my car slid into the other lane due to decreased friction from the water. (On purpose, all tires spinning, all passengers grinning. :)

If anything at all I would use Zoom Spout Turbine Oil but as stated by others here it will probably attract lint and dust.

TRY-FLOW DRY
CM707A07.jpg

Originally Posted By: eric2000
The description says "As the bearing in the roller wears, it self-lubricates so no grease is needed."

You answered your own question.

Oilite bearings as originally from the factory are lubed with a simple light weight oil. It gets stored in the pores. After many years I am quite sure adding some 10 weight can only do some good. Don't use dry lubricant....

Thanks all. I put the rollers on the stove to warm, and drenched the oilite in 3-in-1 motor oil for a few heating and cooling cycles. The manufacturer description is "3-IN-ONE Motor Oil created a special blend of high-grade oils that’s equivalent to SAE 20." I wanted to use nastrau's suggestion of Zoom Spout Turbine Oil, but I could not find any locally.

The oilite has worked well. After 15+ years of doing laundry for 5 people, the steel axle shows no sign of wear. Based on paint wear patterns the rollers are supporting the load.

Originally Posted By: eric2000
Thanks all. I put the rollers on the stove to warm, and drenched the oilite in 3-in-1 motor oil for a few heating and cooling cycles. The manufacturer description is "3-IN-ONE Motor Oil created a special blend of high-grade oils that’s equivalent to SAE 20." I wanted to use nastrau's suggestion of Zoom Spout Turbine Oil, but I could not find any locally.

The oilite has worked well. After 15+ years of doing laundry for 5 people, the steel axle shows no sign of wear. Based on paint wear patterns the rollers are supporting the load.

I really think you need to get that oil out of there....I would only run a 5-20 or 0-20 Mobil 1 or maybe PP. Fully synthetic. How do you ever expect that dryer to start on cold mornings.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back