VTC Actuator problems showing up on 3rd gen. Fit

Status
Not open for further replies.
A number of people are experiencing the actuator problem similar to that occurs in the K24 engine, as reported on fitreak. This engine is a DOHC 1.5. From my understanding, all of the DOHC variable valve timing engines from Honda are susceptible to this problem. Its really disappointing that Honda hasn't been able and/or willing to fix this, and that it occurs in multiple engines. I imagine we'll hear of it in the 10th generation Civic too. My wife's Fit has been in for four recalls already, with another one on the way. With our cold temperatures, I imagine she'll soon be experiencing this problem too.

That's sad to hear...I lost a 2009 Mazda3 due to VVT actuator issues so I'm all too familiar with this problem. There's apparently a class action lawsuit against Mazda for this issue but they've yet to admit any fault. Personally, I would expect Honda to be more forthcoming about this problem than Mazda, but I think most automakers operate in the same fashion until they're forced into a corner.

http://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-gener...se-issue-3.html

http://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-gener...cold-start.html

As this engine design is new to the Fit, I think a lot of people aren't aware of the VTC actuator issue experienced by other Honda models, although some people have begun to research it and are learning about the issue on the Accord. The clips of the noise and the conditions of when it occurs sure sound like the actuator issue. I thought it was only the K24 engine, but it was reported elsewhere that all the Honda DOHC engines with VVT share a similar design and are at risk for the problem (sorry, I don't have that link handy, but I can look for it when I have more time).

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
That's sad to hear...I lost a 2009 Mazda3 due to VVT actuator issues so I'm all too familiar with this problem. There's apparently a class action lawsuit against Mazda for this issue but they've yet to admit any fault. Personally, I would expect Honda to be more forthcoming about this problem than Mazda, but I think most automakers operate in the same fashion until they're forced into a corner.

Toyota has had some issues with it as well in the 2014-16 Corolla Eco, and issued a recall. They apparently were able to solve it with a software fix. I wasn't aware of the Mazda issue. I was stunned when I found out how widespread this problem is with the Accord, CRV, and Civic Si. I had never heard of it until I saw it mentioned here. Honda claims its harmless.

Last edited:
My Accord has this VTC rattle.

It have 100% prevented this from happening every time it's below freezing, I: bump start the car. Just let the starter turn it over for 0.5 seconds, but do NOT let it start. Then start the car.

As long as I remember to do this, I NEVER get the rattle.

If I forget to do it when it's cold, I can guarantee that it will occur.

I agree, an easy fix would be to it crank over for an extra second before starting...that would surely fix it.

2 people on an internet forum doesn't make a trend, let alone 10 people.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
2 people on an internet forum doesn't make a trend, let alone 10 people.

I hope you're right. My wife's Fit has had enough problems already. And I really like the new Civic, hoping it will eventually replace or augment my 2015.

Glad we have the 2nd gen. SOHC...

I feel that Honda is squandering the Fit's reputation for being a problem-free and cheap to own car. Having a car sounding like that is a problem, even if it's not damaging anything.

Hey, another use for block heaters. Making VVT rattles go away.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Glad we have the 2nd gen. SOHC...

I feel that Honda is squandering the Fit's reputation for being a problem-free and cheap to own car. Having a car sounding like that is a problem, even if it's not damaging anything.

Hey, another use for block heaters. Making VVT rattles go away.

They're squandering the "cheap" part too. My wife's 2015 Fit cost $6500 more than my 2015 Civic, although one trim level higher and a CVT rather than a manual trans. It's replacement tires will also be more expensive than the Civic's. If I had bought the same trim the difference would still have been about 3500. One of the advantages of buying an outgoing model rather than an incoming one. Honestly I think the previous generation Fit was a better car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Eddie
Mazda extened the waraanty for those engines to 75,000 miles?

From 60k to 75k? Not particularly generous.

On the 8th Gen Accords, a bad VTC Actuator is best friends with a stretched timing chain and heavy oil consumption.

Honda was once known for high quality vehicles. Those days are long gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back