Lucas P/S fluid -- any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My regular mechanic speaks approvingly of Lucas power steering fluid. My car takes Dexron VI, so I stopped in AZ on Saturday ($8-9/quart for Castrol's Dexron! *), and looked around for the Lucas stuff while I was there. A pint is $4.99, a quart is $6.99. However, the Lucas bottle has no mention of what specs it "meets or exceeds."

I'm not going to risk my car's P/S pump to save $1-2. Has anybody used this stuff, and if so, what happened?

(* My closest Walmart doesn't carry tranny fluids any more. Two years ago when I drained and refilled the Regal's pump, I bought Maxlife's Dexron, but can't recall where I got it.)

I was just curious about it. O'Reilly has their own Dexron VI for $7.19 and Valvoline's for $8.19. An extra $1-2 won't require the cats to dine on Dollar Tree cat food this week.

Whatever Lucas makes is generally thicker than most. From gear lube to ATF stop leak to even their fuel system cleaner is more viscous compared to other fuel system cleaners. If you have a higher mileage vehicle that takes traditional PS fluid, it will most likely be fine. It might make a noise or two on a really really cold day, buy I highly doubt Lucas PS fluid will do any harm to your PS system

If it is anything like the other junk they make it will be a highly priced product with relatively poor specs.

yea I wouldn't use Lucas anything lol. it's just going to be lower quality like Prestone PS fluid....used to be 100% perfect years ago but pretty sure they have used synthetic since like 2005 so stick with dexron VI, it's synthetic and what should be in there now.

I followed your recommendations, picked up some Valvoline Dexron VI, and am drawing out and replacing the P/S fluid. No problems. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back