Purolator Boss PBL3001 (Internal Bypass): Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: goodtimes
The baseplate is the same kind they have been using for decades. The bending forces on the center of the baseplate are tremendous when it's tightened. If over tightened it could cause the element to come loose. The can needs to be rigidly held also. Mercedes sells the Mann filters with the same looking element material, backing and all, with their logo on them. If it is good enough for Mercedes, who definitely test and are picky, it should be good enough for consumers. If the media is the same, it looks the same and is the same company making it.
+1

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
I use a lot of PH8-equivalent oil fiters, so I thought I'd cut open the Boss equivalent and see wha we have going on inside.

Sorry for the ugly cut. All I had was tin snips and a hammer.

Don't say I never did anything for you.
whistle.gif

New gunmetal can, sans grip:

Those of you who suspected the weight of the heavy Boss was in the baseplate, you are correct. It has a heavy and thick baseplate.

Oscar the Grouch was not home:

Good looking dress:

Bypass hasn't changed a bit:

Top end cap came off with bare fingers. Looke and felt like only this one dot here was holding it on:

Holes in center tube look tiny, but there is a lot of them:

Looks good here too:

And here:

Nylon backing was easier to tear than the media itself. Media is backed with a loofah.

Separated from the media, the loofah material is as easy to deform and tear as anything. Either the media is going to hold its own, or it won't. Nylon backing is not going to do it any favors.

Jerry's Final Thought:

Definitely not a relabeled PureOne.

Nylon backing seems effective as an advertisement only.

One mean base plate. To address what issue? Don't know.

Haven't measured media yet, but it goes from at least the floor to my ceiling.

I'd be willing to give one a go, but need more technical performance data first.

Center tube is an odd one, but may not actually restrict flow.

Overall, good looking filter (for whatever that's worth)
Baseplate resembles the one off the Bosch Distance Plus, I'd be curious to see if the can thickness is similar as well. Has Purolator released any efficiency data on these? At a substantially higher price point than an Ultra, it would have to have awesome numbers before I would use one, & there have been Puro Synthetics that didn't look great after use.
^ Another scientific comment.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
Even without the backing on the media the pleats are packed in tight, at least on my sample there was 61 total pleats. The center tube supports the media just like it does on other spin on filters, and my sample had plenty of glue to keep the pleat ends stationary. The backing is there to provide additional support to the media. Tearing the backing off, and doing what ever to it other than what it was intended to do is meaningless.

It's a different design that's for sure, but if you have a look around Mann is already using a similar design on Evotop fleece cartridge filters. If it did not work, I am sure it would have been pulled from the market by now.

As I said, I am not calling it a bad filter. If anything, there is clearly a lot of evidence of superior construction.

If these filters look good after long OCI's, deliver superior UOA's, and and deliver good efficiency ratings in testing, the nylon would not be a factor in purchasing.

It isn't meaningless, because the simple fact of the matter is, that a support has to be strong in order to lend support. If I can do that to the nylon at 72F, how much support can it be lending at 200-250F? It is nylon after all. Nylon is very durable. I am definitely not saying it is going to melt. But malleability is going increase as the temperature does, and the backing is already very malleable.

I haven't had the chance to examine the nylon backing on other filters to see if it's any thicker or stronger. The one used in this filter was a gossamer web.

Media specs:

61 Pleats

91.5" Long x 3.8" Height= 347.7" Element Area

This filter definitely has a LOT of space to tuck away dirt.

This also makes it a match for the Baldwin B2-HPG as the highest element area of the PH8-class oil filters.

Oh, that's something I should have mentioned! It's not on the AAP site at all. I got my discount when I went in the store to pick up my order. I just put it up on the counter and told them that I shouldn't lose my discount because they haven't put it up on the site yet. They honored it.

Filter looks great, looks like we have a winner with the new Boss filters.
These look indestructible just like Fram Ultra's.

Last edited:
wow those are crazy nice what do they cost? I wonder if they make em for my car yet...

Originally Posted By: hal
wow those are crazy nice what do they cost? I wonder if they make em for my car yet...

Yeah, aesthetically speaking, these are even better than almost all premium filters.

I'm at
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
I use a lot of PH8-equivalent oil fiters, so I thought I'd cut open the Boss equivalent and see wha we have going on inside.

Sorry for the ugly cut. All I had was tin snips and a hammer.

Don't say I never did anything for you.
whistle.gif

New gunmetal can, sans grip:

Those of you who suspected the weight of the heavy Boss was in the baseplate, you are correct. It has a heavy and thick baseplate.

Oscar the Grouch was not home:

Good looking dress:

Bypass hasn't changed a bit:

Top end cap came off with bare fingers. Looke and felt like only this one dot here was holding it on:

Holes in center tube look tiny, but there is a lot of them:

Looks good here too:

And here:

Nylon backing was easier to tear than the media itself. Media is backed with a loofah.

Separated from the media, the loofah material is as easy to deform and tear as anything. Either the media is going to hold its own, or it won't. Nylon backing is not going to do it any favors.

Jerry's Final Thought:

Definitely not a relabeled PureOne.

Nylon backing seems effective as an advertisement only.

One mean base plate. To address what issue? Don't know.

Haven't measured media yet, but it goes from at least the floor to my ceiling.

I'd be willing to give one a go, but need more technical performance data first.

Center tube is an odd one, but may not actually restrict flow.

Overall, good looking filter (for whatever that's worth)
Baseplate resembles the one off the Bosch Distance Plus, I'd be curious to see if the can thickness is similar as well. Has Purolator released any efficiency data on these? At a substantially higher price point than an Ultra, it would have to have awesome numbers before I would use one, & there have been Puro Synthetics that didn't look great after use.
^ Another scientific comment.
OK-HerrStig, I'll bite-as defender of all things Purolator, what's the efficiency rating? Or is this another troll adventure?

Unfortunately, I don't think we have one yet. I would say it's fine, but it has an uphill battle. On the face of it, I like it better than a Wix XP due to purported efficiency. But, it's not the king of that statistic, either. I can't say much about price up here, but if it does show up around here, it's going to have a bit of a battle for price and availability with Fram Ultra and the M1 filters.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Unfortunately, I don't think we have one yet. I would say it's fine, but it has an uphill battle. On the face of it, I like it better than a Wix XP due to purported efficiency. But, it's not the king of that statistic, either. I can't say much about price up here, but if it does show up around here, it's going to have a bit of a battle for price and availability with Fram Ultra and the M1 filters.

Purolator seems to have addressed that issue. AAP has dropped Fram Ultra from the shelves for an all-Boss line.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
The Boss doesn't appear to be on AAP's site. Can you provide a link?

They have them for their oil change specials this month. You can't search for them but they will appear if you have them list filters from their oil change special site.

I just got one but I'm doing some work done on my car from my dealer. I'll probably cut one open in about 9 months ish...

Originally Posted By: Garak

Purolator seems to have addressed that issue. AAP has dropped Fram Ultra from the shelves for an all-Boss line.

Thanks for the cut and post. You are pretty good with those tin snips.

AAP removed all the FRAM filters from their displays to make room for the new Purolators in Houston. The manager told me they were going to rotate out the stock of PureOnes and Classics when the new ones come in. This all began after Christmas and before New Years. I have yet to see the PureOne and Classic replacements.

I Stay away from anything purolater these days i would Go with the ultra they are a nice filter. Purolater is very secretive about the specs of their new Boss and personally i don't like those tiny oil holes on the center tube..

That's interesting. I was speaking more about Canadian availability, though. It's easy to get Purolator made filters up here (i.e. QS, Pennzoil, Motorcraft). But, getting something Purolator branded is another matter altogether. They had a short lived relationship with Walmart Canada, where they were carrying Classics, P1s, Synthetics, and Bosch Premiums. The pricing was worse than the Frams they replaced (and that's saying something since Fram is rather overpriced here). The traditional places that used to get Purolator stuff (i.e. Worldpac up here) was left in the lurch with no product. Then, Walmart went back to Fram just as suddenly.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
Even without the backing on the media the pleats are packed in tight, at least on my sample there was 61 total pleats. The center tube supports the media just like it does on other spin on filters, and my sample had plenty of glue to keep the pleat ends stationary. The backing is there to provide additional support to the media. Tearing the backing off, and doing what ever to it other than what it was intended to do is meaningless.

It's a different design that's for sure, but if you have a look around Mann is already using a similar design on Evotop fleece cartridge filters. If it did not work, I am sure it would have been pulled from the market by now.

If you look on the bottom of the new PUROLATOR Oil fitlers it clearly says MANN HUMMEL on them

Mann Hummel bought Purolator out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back