Buying a used rental car from Hawaii?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Run. The cars in Hawaii get hammered and the salt in the air is hard on them. I was in the Navy for 10 years spent some time there and have seen the affects of the salt. Plus living in Washington and working at Subase Bangor I see the sailors who bring their cars from there. You can always tell a "Hawaiian car"

What are you looking at? Where is it now?

I'd not even consider it. Most Hawaii rentals get treated like unwanted step children.

A lot of people take them on the back roads of Hawaii that are typically dirt....bumpy as all get out....and many times exposed to salt.

Pass.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Per Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear, the fastest car in the world is a rental car with purchased insurance.

Especially so, when you get the insurance for free with every rental, like I do.

I would consider it, if it checks out with your mechanic's inspection. Salty air for a year on a modern, galvanized car is probably not a big deal. I rented a car in hawaii once and noticed people drove slower than in other states - the whole pace of everything there is slower. Although, the likelihood that a rental agency employee is actually going to take the car to get the oil changed could be lower because of that, too.

Check it out and see what it looks like.

My parents have a 2011 Ranger that came from the US Virgin Islands, which may be worse for a tropical car beating. It is fine. No rust, runs and drives great. It only spent about 3 years there though.

Idk about the Hawaiian air being a problem for a 1-2 year old rental car, i dont live in that environment.

Yes, rentals cars are gonna have more dings and damage compared to other cars of the same age.

IMO, in the past my family has bought ex rental cars from rental companies and the engine and drivetrains have been flawless on all of them.

My dad used to joke around saying that rental cars are "broken in better" and if they didnt break down during the abuse they received, then its safe to say its a good engine. We had one ex rental that was a freak of nature. My grandfather and my uncle both bought new identical vehicles and my parents decided to buy one as well. But we got a 1 year old ex rental and that car would smoke the other two. Uphill, dowhill, 0-60, 20-40, whatever test you put it thru it was always faster and more powerful. Dad used to say it was treated like a red headed step child and that it was angry.

My experince? Id definitely buy a rental if I found one I liked.

Originally Posted By: stower17
Idk about the Hawaiian air being a problem for a 1-2 year old rental car, i dont live in that environment.

Yes, rentals cars are gonna have more dings and damage compared to other cars of the same age.

IMO, in the past my family has bought ex rental cars from rental companies and the engine and drivetrains have been flawless on all of them.

My dad used to joke around saying that rental cars are "broken in better" and if they didnt break down during the abuse they received, then its safe to say its a good engine. We had one ex rental that was a freak of nature. My grandfather and my uncle both bought new identical vehicles and my parents decided to buy one as well. But we got a 1 year old ex rental and that car would smoke the other two. Uphill, dowhill, 0-60, 20-40, whatever test you put it thru it was always faster and more powerful. Dad used to say it was treated like a red headed step child and that it was angry.

The "broken in better" line is no joke. After all, manufacturers recommend variable driving conditions. What could be more variable than 150 different drivers over the course of a year and a half? A rental car is at least going to be maintained according to the book. You can't say that about privately owned cars.

Originally Posted By: jimbrewer

The "broken in better" line is no joke. After all, manufacturers recommend variable driving conditions. What could be more variable than 150 different drivers over the course of a year and a half? A rental car is at least going to be maintained according to the book. You can't say that about privately owned cars.

What you said is EXACLTY what my dad said word for word years and years ago, going way back. My experience, along with my family's experience is that rental cars will have a rock solid drivetrain, but will have more cosmetic damage, and will probably have some suspension parts needing replacing prematurely from all the curb abuse. Every used rental I have purchased or family I know who has purchased one has always been in perfect working condition, things get repaired fast in the rental industry. Most having their own regional repair facility to do repairs.

If you take care of your car, after 5 years your "ex rental" will cosmetically look like most of the other cars for its model year and in return will have a drivetrain that never skips a beat. This is just my opinion and family members opinion, but our used rental cars tend to just run "better" than a normal used car, peppier and little to no oil burn . Of course there are bad rental cars out there too don't get me wrong. With an ex rental car just expect to replace suspension parts sooner; I've had lot's of experience with rentals. That's how I prefer to buy my cars.

My uncle (a now-retired mechanic) has always said: on a new engine, break it in hard. Don't abuse it, but don't baby it! I recall that one of the best-running 5.0 Mustangs I ever saw was probably driven the hardest: it was a police car!

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

My uncle (a now-retired mechanic) has always said: on a new engine, break it in hard. Don't abuse it, but don't baby it! I recall that one of the best-running 5.0 Mustangs I ever saw was probably driven the hardest: it was a police car!

I agree with all of what you said, abuse is obviously bad. Like hitting curbs and not performing maintenance, that's abuse. My parents bought new in the 1980's a chevy caprice with the L03 305, my grandfather was adamant about telling my mom about varying the speeds and to take it on a road trip after breaking it in. 265,000 original miles later it still pulls strong. I picked one up used years ago and we also bought a few to buy and sell and they all ran like dogs compared to the one my mom broke in.

Corolla man,

As you can see...everybody has an opinion about rentals.

The truth is, they involve a level of risk that can mean trouble sooner or later.

When I buy a car, I prefer to eliminate undue risk if possible.

Besides test driving the car for anything unusual definitely check the undercarriage on a rental car, things can get real under there.

Besides test driving the car for anything unusual definitely check the undercarriage on a rental car, things can get real under there.

I think in some rental agreements that often you aren't responsible for the undercarriage and unless something is obviously broken, I'm sure the rental agency rarely looks.
My sister in law travels all over the place and often rents a small car and has done many a road/trail, typically only turning around when the bottom starts grinding "a lot". She's never paid for damages yet.
I doubt you are looking at a Yaris though... Anyways, its always worth a look under there with any car, never mind a rental, even a midsize can be jumped at the railroad tracks...

it looks very clean, definitely worth a test drive. Price is right too. If it runs and drives good, looks like a nice car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back