Position of Brake Wear Indicator?

Status
Not open for further replies.
grin.gif

Are there no instructions inserted in the box to explain which way the pads are installed? Does anyone know how it comes from the factory?

all the ones on hyundai and Mitsu come as I've said, the squealer leading the pad... and yes, the instructions included with the pads also reflect this, if included.

Last edited:
The only certainty I can tell you is the short shoe goes to the front on drum brake setups LOL. I never thought it really mattered either for the squeally thingy.

I remember reading somewhere that (disc) brake pads tend to wear more on their leading edge due the "self-energizing" effect (yes, I know, that's a drum brake term) that results as the pads get dragged "back" by the rotor during brake application. If this is true then it might explain the recommendation for putting the squealer tab on the leading edge of the pad.

Now, on the cars I have owned, the pads have always worn fairly evenly if things were working properly so I can't say I have seen this "normal" taper wear pattern myself. That said, I've never owned a vehicle with four pot brakes either where I can sort of see this being an issue if they don't size the leading/trailing pots properly.

Originally Posted By: rsylvstr
So as usual, there is no general consensus from the masses of this board. I never even knew it mattered where you put it. I learned something new today.

Well actually I only learned that it does go a specific way which is yet to be determined. :)

If the calipers are facing the front of the vehicle, the wear indicators should always face upward.

If the calipers are facing the rear of the vehicle, the wear indicators should always face downward.

This way, when the rotors are turning forward, these wear indicators will be contacted first.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
If the calipers are facing the front of the vehicle, the wear indicators should always face upward.

If the calipers are facing the rear of the vehicle, the wear indicators should always face downward.

This way, when the rotors are turning forward, these wear indicators will be contacted first.

OK -- but is the pad with the wear indicator supposed to be on the inboard side of the rotor or on the outboard side ?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
OK -- but is the pad with the wear indicator supposed to be on the inboard side of the rotor or on the outboard side ?

Technically it should not matter. Conventionally they are put on the inside for aesthetics, especially with open-spoke wheels. Some pad sets have them on all 4 pads.

I overheard somewhere to put it inside (on a single piston caliper) because if the slide pins froze up the inner pad would wear out faster.

Though the odds are there of any particular pad locking up and wearing out quickly. My most recent pad set had chirpers on all four.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I overheard somewhere to put it inside (on a single piston caliper) because if the slide pins froze up the inner pad would wear out faster.

Though the odds are there of any particular pad locking up and wearing out quickly. My most recent pad set had chirpers on all four.

If you have a wheel that's fairly open and easy to see the brake calipers, having the wear indicator on the outboard side would be more convenient for checking pad wear. But I heard someone say at some point during the history of time - that the wear indicator is always supposed to go on the inboard side.
21.gif

you can check the outboard thickness easily, with aluminium wheels without taking them off. the inside pad is harder to check.

If possible, I take the squeeler from the old pads and use them on the outside pad. Not all calipers allow this though

Inboard. On most sliding calipers, the inboard pad will almost always have slightly more wear.

Inboard. On most sliding calipers, the inboard pad will almost always have slightly more wear.

So, after reading this whole thread, would it be safe to say that the squealer tab should be placed on the leading edge of the pad, piston side of the caliper? The reason being that is the pad edge that should wear the quickest (assuming the pads start out at equal thickness and all things are working properly.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back