Can I get a good oil filter at Walmart?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd rather buy filters where I buy my oil. Are there any good filters at Walmart or am I better off buying wix from the auto parts stores?

If there is a Motorcraft filter in stock for your application I'd buy that for the budget priced offering and a Fram Tough Guard or Fram Ultra as upgrades.

I'm on my 6th oil filter purchased from Walmart
3 motorcrafts
2 Fram Ultras
and
1 Fram Extra Guard

No issues.. the oil filters they sell are good.

Originally Posted By: Bud_One
I'm on my 6th oil filter purchased from Walmart
3 motorcrafts
2 Fram Ultras
and
1 Fram Extra Guard

No issues.. the oil filters they sell are good.

X2
cheers3.gif

The good Walmart filters are as follows:

Top tier
Bosch DistancePlus
Fram Ultra

The next tier of filters are:
Motorcraft
Fram Tough Guard
AC Delco
Mopar

Bottom tier:
Fram Extra Guard
Purolator Classic

This is at least at my Walmart.

Originally Posted By: stchman
The good Walmart filters are as follows:

Top tier
Bosch DistancePlus
Fram Ultra

The next tier of filters are:
Motorcraft
Fram Tough Guard
AC Delco
Mopar

Bottom tier:
Fram Extra Guard
Purolator Classic

This is at least at my Walmart.

+1

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Yes you can get the best filters at Walmart the Fram Ultra

Agree that WalMart has several excellent filters available....and at very reasonable prices.

The top three IMO (listed in the order of quality) are:

Fram Ultra (top tier)
Fram Tough Guard (mid tier)
Motorcraft (also mid-tier)

Watch rockauto for closeouts then order 12-18 so shipping works itself out.

Got some for $1.40 ea *shipped* when I sniped the timing.

You have to have confidence you'll be driving the same car for a while.
wink.gif

I got metal-core Champs but they have good brand names eg Denso, at good prices, and great if they're on closeout.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian

The top three IMO (listed in the order of quality) are:

Fram Ultra (top tier)
Fram Tough Guard (mid tier)
Motorcraft (also mid-tier)

I think Motorcraft is generally a lower-tier filter, depending on the application. Most do not use silicone ADBVs and most also use standard paper pleated media. The ones that do use a silicone ADBV are, certainly, a step above the others.

The Fram Tough Guard, which I agree is a mid-tier filter, differentiates itself with a stouter (and probably more efficient) media and silicone ADBV.

Unless they have a p-gasket on the base (and they don't) they aren't going on ANY of my cars. Too Many leaks and weeps with flat gaskets. I just found the 1.5X Nissan Titan filter works well on the rogue - upsize on a GONHER MEXICO WORKS PRETTY GOOD.(15208-9E01A) It should be good for a Honda too. I prefer low-moderate efficiency on small form factor filters. Had too many low/no oil pressure issues with hamster sized spin-ons.

Last edited:
Fram Ultra and Bosch D+ are both available at Walmart. The D+ is a bit expensive and not worth the extra cost over the Ultra.

Like others the Fram Ultra and Fram TG. However if you don't go beyond 5k oil changes, then even the basic oil filter from the major brands Fram, Purolator, Bosch are fine.

They have a couple great filters at excellent prices. Fram ultra, motorcraft, and ac delco are the first that comes to my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back