Grease - stange odor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two days ago I had to put on a new CV boot, cleaning and inspecting the joint like always. everything looked all right.
The only grease I had in stock was TOTAL Multis MS2. I notisted that it had funny odor, like coconut - I did not taste it even though it was tempting
smile.gif
. Have you guys experienced something similar?
Multis MS 2 PDS

While I'm at it I have experienced that most european made grease products only have a faint smell if any. But all the American made greases that I have used had a very strong petroleum like odor (mobil shc + xhp, esso, valvoline).

The only european grease I can think of that stink a little(like a burnt smell, not petroleum like) is shell gadus s2 v220 but it might actually have been made in Malaysia and not europe, I can't remember.

Does the American formulations in general contain more sulphur hence the petroleum odor?

What is your experience?

Grease smells weird. As my brother says, the more strongly it smells, the better it works!

That is true for catfish bait, but grease?

Some greases have a thinner, so they will thicken and stay in the work zone better. If the thinner has lubrication ability and can condense on some on greases surfaces then more better.

Rod

OK, I will chime in here. Years ago I remember the VW CV grease smelled somewhat like coconut , it was dark grey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back