Shell Helix Ultra 5w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
You may find some feedback and info on this topic
SHU GTL

As I said there, best oil I used so far.
Still very silent at 9500km! I'm at the second oil change with SHU 5w40.
Other oils I've used started to sound noisy at 6k - 8k km.

Just a little bit of rattle for 30 sec. or so, at start-up in cold, dampy mornings (sometimes...)

Many promos around here in France, in ssupermarkets, latest I've seen was something like 5+1 L/26€ !

I run Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 on all my gas cars. Cheapest "Full Synthethic" oil i can get from a reputable brand. Mobil 1 0W-40 costs around 50% more here.
I just pour this in the engines and forget about it.
I have more problems to take care of when it comes to Euro cars. BMW has been extremely reliable. Just regular OCIs, filters and topping off fluids with original stuff. The Audi is a nightmare even though its newer than the BMW and none of them are turbo engines so go figure.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: slybunda
Think the hths is 3.68

GTL should be 3.88.
3.68 is old Group III based.

None of the versions tested have GTL bottle. It was discussed before that SN version should be GTL, even if bottles are old design. I'd rather see GTL VOA with new/current version of bottle.

Originally Posted By: chrisri
Think the hths is 3.68

GTL should be 3.88.
3.68 is old Group III based.

None of the versions tested have GTL bottle. It was discussed before that SN version should be GTL, even if bottles are old design. I'd rather see GTL VOA with new/current version of bottle.

Sorry then, yes, it should be 3.68cp if it is non-GTL.

bottom of this bottle shows api sn.

4l-helix-ultra-5w-40-high.jpeg

OK, so the link to the PDS sheet given earlier is the older non-GTL stuff (HTHS of 3.68).

The newer GTL stuff has a higher HTHS (3.88). That's a decent increase. Do you have a link to the GTL PDS?

Thanks

Originally Posted By: SR5
OK, so the link to the PDS sheet given earlier is the older non-GTL stuff (HTHS of 3.68).

The newer GTL stuff has a higher HTHS (3.88). That's a decent increase. Do you have a link to the GTL PDS?

Thanks

You are correct, there was two SN versions of Ultra; old one and new GTL based one. That last picture is of GTL Ultra, but, unfortunately, I could not ource any VOA of it.

Last edited:

Thanks

Pennzoil Ultra (now called Platinum Euro) pds when GTL was introduced, it is rebadged Shell Helix Ultra:
Pennzoil/Shell Ultra GTL

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chrisri
Originally Posted By: MaxPayne
Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 VOA:

http://www.oil-club.ru/forum/topic/12199-shell-helix-ultra-5w-40-svezhee/

http://www.oil-club.ru/forum/topic/11002-shell-helix-ultra-5w-40-svezhee-made-in-russia/

Thanks Max for those links. Can you help us with Cyrillic's, I'm trying to understand which version is the GTL (new one) or if any of these tested here actually is?

Thanks!

Yes, chrisri, any of these tested is GTL base...
cool.gif

Noack - 6.8-7.1, pour point - -46-48°C, flash point - 46-48°C...

Last edited:

Thanks

Pennzoil Ultra (now called Platinum Euro) pds when GTL was introduced, it is rebadged Shell Helix Ultra:
Pennzoil/Shell Ultra GTL

Thanks mate, all the name changes threw me.

Nice low noack of 6.8 too.

Thanks

Pennzoil/Shell Ultra GTL

Yeah, that GTL base seems really good.
Their 5W30 Euro L I think has HTHS of 3.68, which is on par with old 5W40.
I know Shell now provides oil for BMW< but I do not know numbers, so I am using M1 5W30 ESP. If someone has VOA of BMW LL-04, I would really appreciate.

anyone got pics of what gtl and non gtl look like?

Look at the piston logo on the front.

If it says Active Cleaning Technology then it's the old stuff.

If it says Pure Plus Technology then it's the new GTL oil.

My containers look like the one pictured above. They use to be light silver in colour, now they are dark grey in colour. Both colours have the ( GTL) - Pure Plus Piston Logo.

Thanks

Pennzoil/Shell Ultra GTL

Yeah, that GTL base seems really good.
Their 5W30 Euro L I think has HTHS of 3.68, which is on par with old 5W40.
I know Shell now provides oil for BMW< but I do not know numbers, so I am using M1 5W30 ESP. If someone has VOA of BMW LL-04, I would really appreciate.

Yeah, I'm pretty excited about it.

I should have some new GTL Shell Helix Ultra in my car in the next week or two. I'll do an oil change as soon as the rain stops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back