Generic replacements for Honda ATF-Z1

Status
Not open for further replies.
$18/gallon is a great price. That's about half of the list price for the ATF-DW1, but cost really isn't the issue for me. It's a firmer shift that I'm after. Better availability and cost are icing on the cake for sure.

My gut is telling me that the ATF-DW1 is a "slipperier" fluid than the Z1. DW1 noticeably softened the shift feel in our Acura, and while I initially liked that, it's to the point where it's a little "too soft" for me.

I have some ATF changes coming up for both vehicles soon, within the next thousand miles or so. I will put the MaxLife in them both.

We've only got ~50Kmi on our 2008 Honda Odyssey, but it's had Maxlife ATF in it since it's first AT drain/fill about three years ago. I've done 3-4 drain/fill cycles since. Like I've said in other threads, it's eliminated basically all the shift and TC lock weirdness this AT had from new.

I go with the lower cost option because of my drain/fill regimen. This Odyssey 5spd AT doesn't have a filter you can get at, so I like to do a ~12Kmi drain/fill cycle.

Joel

Thanks Joel. I had planned on doing a 15k mile drain/fill with the MDX. One 3 quart drain/fill every three oil changes. With the low cost of MaxLife, and the stupid easy procedure for draining/filling, maybe I'll do it every other oil change.

[Quote: bourne] BINGO! Its almost like the Torque convertor is going " Should i do it ..... maybe not ... maybe now " and we are just sitting there waiting for something , but nothing really happens , and then it slams it and you lurch forward.
My wifes '01 Lexus RX-300 shifts like this on the 1-2 shift(and always has) unless we have ~ 1/2 to full throttle where it is then, crisp/clean, as are the rest of the shifts.

It doesn't "slam" into the next gear either as it does in "bourne's" tranny but, it does lurch forward. Sort of like a slooooooow rubber band feeling. Or one of those "slow motion video" of an air bag test...Sort of but, that's a bit extreme! And during the colder months, the first 1-2 shift(after a cold startup) is even more reluctant. More like the air bag test
smile.gif

I am using Castrol IMV ATF(NOT the new "Transmax" IMV) in 3 Asian auto trannys('01 RX-300, '04 Altima, '06 Mazda3) and I believe I still have about 10qts remaining from a great sale.

What I can say is that the Castrol IMV is a bit different than what was in the trannys before. Not bad per/say, just different! I wrote a quick review in another post on all 3 trannys and what was in the tranny prior and the Castrol IMV and their shifting differences.

And I also currently have 4qts of Castrol High Mileage ATF(again, NOT "Transmax") waiting on my shelf (Dark Green Bottle) that I bought on sale/closeout($2.50/qt) and I may use in this Lexus on the next D & F.

I believe that Castrol has just changed the name on all of there tranny fluids to the "NEW" Transmax name. Could just be an artwork update and some different wording somewhere on their labels as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: iskerbibel
Personally I think Amsoil is ridiculously over-priced for what you get. But I think it would work as well as any DexIII.

I disagree....Castrol IMV and Valvoline are over $5 a quart and I can get Amsoil for approx. $10 a quart. For an ATF change which is done every 30 to 50K it's cheap insurance IMO. (Amsoil is 100% synthetic...the others may or may not be).

I would probably use Redline D4 over Amsoil if it were readily available but Amsoil is definitely a top shelf fluid which gives a large 'safety margin' if not changed on schedule.

I

I wanted to come back to this thread because I left off and never really gave any feedback on the MaxLife in my transmission.

I said in a different thread prior that I chickened-out on universal ATF and bought DW-1. This was about a month ago, and this is true: I did chicken-out and buy the genuine Honda lubricant.

Then about a week ago, I noticed that the drain plug was leaking slightly (on the transmission case). The little aluminum washer had finally expired I guess. I didn’t want to pour “old” fluid back into the transmission, and I really didn’t want to go pay Honda again for another three quarts (actually, four, because I get about 3.5 quarts out of it each time). So I did buy a gallon of Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc at Advance Auto Parts. Initially, the transmission felt a little jerky on it, but it has seemed to smooth out after about a week. I initially liked the DW-1 that I had put in it (I put 6 quarts into it), but I will admit to the DW-1 feeling a little sloppy sometimes, under certain circumstances. With a gallon of Valvoline in it, it’s back to shifting fast and with authority. I wouldn't say “with aggression”, but definitely with authority. The transmission is never confused about what it wants to do. If it’s going to shift, it shifts right now, and it’s a pretty dadgum quick engagement.

So I started reading up this weekend on Honda ATF. I read a LOT about ATF in these transmissions, and learned a lot as well. I posted a separate thread about other folks improving shift feel and shift speed in their Acura TL transmissions with different fluid. The more I read about the OEM fluid, the more I’m glad that I did try a different kind. I will also say that the drain plug magnet on the CR-V’s transmission has always had minimal black slime on it, so the MaxLife that’s been in it for a while has been doing well in terms of wear, which is what I’d prefer (long wear vs. softer shifts).

So I guess this post is just to close out this thread, and to say that after comparing the OEM fluid with the MaxLife fluid in the same transmission, I do believe that I prefer the transmission’s behavior when using the MaxLife fluid, and will likely continue to use this into the future.

I use D4 in my V6 accord, i have also used redline type F. I have liked the results of both. Currently using D4. Very firm shifts with both fluids.

Last edited:
I've got two drain-and-fills with the Amsoil ATF on the Civic. It's doing great. Probably the viscocity boost, but it seems to shift more decisively with the Amsoil. Yet, its smoother too because it shifts more decisively.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I wanted to come back to this thread because I left off and never really gave any feedback on the MaxLife in my transmission.

I said in a different thread prior that I chickened-out on universal ATF and bought DW-1. This was about a month ago, and this is true: I did chicken-out and buy the genuine Honda lubricant.

Then about a week ago, I noticed that the drain plug was leaking slightly (on the transmission case). The little aluminum washer had finally expired I guess. I didn’t want to pour “old” fluid back into the transmission, and I really didn’t want to go pay Honda again for another three quarts (actually, four, because I get about 3.5 quarts out of it each time). So I did buy a gallon of Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc at Advance Auto Parts. Initially, the transmission felt a little jerky on it, but it has seemed to smooth out after about a week. I initially liked the DW-1 that I had put in it (I put 6 quarts into it), but I will admit to the DW-1 feeling a little sloppy sometimes, under certain circumstances. With a gallon of Valvoline in it, it’s back to shifting fast and with authority. I wouldn't say “with aggression”, but definitely with authority. The transmission is never confused about what it wants to do. If it’s going to shift, it shifts right now, and it’s a pretty dadgum quick engagement.

So I started reading up this weekend on Honda ATF. I read a LOT about ATF in these transmissions, and learned a lot as well. I posted a separate thread about other folks improving shift feel and shift speed in their Acura TL transmissions with different fluid. The more I read about the OEM fluid, the more I’m glad that I did try a different kind. I will also say that the drain plug magnet on the CR-V’s transmission has always had minimal black slime on it, so the MaxLife that’s been in it for a while has been doing well in terms of wear, which is what I’d prefer (long wear vs. softer shifts).

So I guess this post is just to close out this thread, and to say that after comparing the OEM fluid with the MaxLife fluid in the same transmission, I do believe that I prefer the transmission’s behavior when using the MaxLife fluid, and will likely continue to use this into the future.

Going back to our previous conversation, Acura actually put Z1 in my car instead of DW-1. So when I hit 15k on the new trans, I think ill be doing 2x drain n fills with Maxlife to see how that feels. I am NOT liking Z1 as it gets older in my trans.

Originally Posted By: bourne
Going back to our previous conversation, Acura actually put Z1 in my car instead of DW-1. So when I hit 15k on the new trans, I think ill be doing 2x drain n fills with Maxlife to see how that feels. I am NOT liking Z1 as it gets older in my trans.

I believe that both Z1 and DW-1 undergo a lot of shear while in use, and neither stand up to heat very well. I am going to do a 1x3 tonight on the Acura and see how the fluid and drain plug magnet looks. It hasn't been but a few thousand miles since the last DW-1 fill, and I must have put a case of DW-1 through that transmission since we bought the car 25,000 miles ago; the fluid SHOULD be holding up better than it is. It seems to shear down on hot days, 1-2 shifts get slow, and it just doesn't feel very robust with that fluid in it. I'm hoping that MaxLife really firms it up. I will report back.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

I believe that both Z1 and DW-1 undergo a lot of shear while in use, and neither stand up to heat very well. I am going to do a 1x3 tonight on the Acura and see how the fluid and drain plug magnet looks. It hasn't been but a few thousand miles since the last DW-1 fill, and I must have put a case of DW-1 through that transmission since we bought the car 25,000 miles ago; the fluid SHOULD be holding up better than it is. It seems to shear down on hot days, 1-2 shifts get slow, and it just doesn't feel very robust with that fluid in it. I'm hoping that MaxLife really firms it up. I will report back.

yea im getting ready to do my first drain and refill when the trans hits 15k. I kinda wanna keep using DW-1 till my warranty is up on the trans. Right now though, im chasing a ghost vibration at idle that I cannot correct no matter what I do.

I ran six quarts of Valvoline MaxLife ATF through the Acura tonight and have noticed a small improvement so far. I can definitely feel the shifts more, though the change is small so far. This transmission still doesn't shift as snappy as the CR-V's transmission, but it might also be "tuned" for a softer shift based on the vehicle it's in. I will continue to use it in both vehicles.

I've been using Amsoil ATF in my wife's '91 Accord for the last 2 years and 40K miles. Picked up the car then with 140K on it, fluid was brown but not burnt. Really hard 2-3 and 3-2 shifts. Did a trans flush and put Amsoil in and shifts smoothed out a lot. Crazy part is at 40K miles on the fluid it still looks like I put it in there yesterday.

I'm getting mine for a bit over $8/quart, but honestly I'd pay the higher price if need be. I would rather spend an additional $40 or $50 every 30-50K miles and not have to worry about it then save a few bucks only to have the trans puke. To worry about about a few dollars on such a critical area as engine oil or trans fluid seems to me to be "penny wise and pound foolish."

Originally Posted By: iskerbibel
Personally I think Amsoil is ridiculously over-priced for what you get. But I think it would work as well as any DexIII.

hallelujah!!

Switch to Maxlife and a bottle of LGR. Call it a day. You wont be dissapointed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back