Threaded pipe nipple with internal hexagon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know of a source to obtain a threaded nipple (3/4" and 13/16") with an internal hexagon for use on a remote oil filter mount? Though I suppose that I could use an internal pipe wrench to tight it, replacing it with one that has the hex would simplify matters.

TIA!

GM used these on some engines but most were a flange nipple not a close nipple.
I usually put 2 nuts on and lock them together to remove or tighten close nipples.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I usually put 2 nuts on and lock them together to remove or tighten close nipples.
There is a thought and it would be cheaper than buying an internal pipe wrench. Is there a need to use teflon tape or pipe sealer on those? I would not think there would be too much back pressure on it, but I thought I would ask.

is 13/16" a common pipe size?

Could you take one and slice a flat groove into it for removal with a screwdriver? Id imagine this wouldn't be a high corrosion location...

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Originally Posted By: Trav
There is a thought and it would be cheaper than buying an internal pipe wrench. Is there a need to use teflon tape or pipe sealer on those? I would not think there would be too much back pressure on it, but I thought I would ask.

No tape or sealer needed, I do clean it well and use a few drops of red loctte, get the nuts locked on it first and ready to tighten before applying the loctite.
It isn't supposed to come out and if you ever do need to remove it a little heat from a heat gun on the nipple with break the bond.

These are not pipe thread, pipe threads are tapered, these are straight thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back