Gave M1 yet another chance only to disappoint...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tig1
The OP posted a few months ago. What happened? He stated the M1 0-40 was very quite in his Ford. He posted this on 9-23-15.

Yes Tig, it was quiet for all of the first 100 miles on the M1. It got more noisy as the OCI progressed but with the cost of the M1 I wasn't dumping it early.

I have used the M1 5W20 and 5W30 varieties in this vehicle and in my others and found they were just as noisy or worse!

I used the 0W40 in this Explorer because it is a modular motor and it does have higher mileage. I have always read how wonderful the 0W40 oil was and how well a 40W worked in these mod motors so I gave it a try.

I really don't think this was a filter issue because its been noisy every time I've used it and in every engine I've used it in. I use MC filters in my fords and Fram UG or Pure Ones in my hondas.

My built B18C track car with large cams makes all kinds of racket on M1 oils. It was so bad I drained it within 50 miles for fear of hurting the new engine.

So when you first changed to M1 0-40 the engine was very quite, but after 100 miles it became noisey? As for me, I have used M1 oils for the last 38 years in all types of engines, and have never had a noisey engine. Just sayin.

Here's another anecdote:

My car ('93 BMW I6) came with some "unknown mystery oil" that I was wanting to change out for something presumably better. M1 0w40 (with the Euro certs) was my choice.

Straight out of the box - lifter tick was more noticeable and the VANOS unit started making the famous "marbles in a can" sound VERY badly. Nothing improved over the 7500 mile interval I ran.

Rotella 5w40 had the VANOS not rumbling/grumbling/rattling (although probably not working 100%) and the 10w50 does make it a little worse but not as bad as the 0w40 Mobil.

Am thinking of turning to German/Belgium Castrol next and it will be interesting to see if the problem remains or not.

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
I'm sure I'll catch some flaming from the M1 fans all over this site but I just recently tried my 3rd and final OCI with an M1 product and once again I have been let down. This time I tried the infamous 0W40 in my wifes Explorer Limited with the 4.6l V8, not until M1 did it ever have any start up noise/rattle and when hot at idle it had a very pronounced "knock" (likely timing chain tensioner noise and nothing serious but still) Same Motorcraft FL820S filter is always used so it wasn't that.

I put some Motorcraft 5W30 in it this OCI and its quiet as a mouse again. I have tried M1 oils in my F150 and my Honda cars and always found it made my engines noisy.

Anyone else find this or is it just me? Sorry Mobil, I'm done. If its noisy it can't be good...

Maybe it is the Explorer. I ran 0w40 M1 for a long time in my Jeep and it sounded no different than any other oil I've used in it. It used a bit less oil than previous weights/brands, as well, including PP, PU, and Valvoline synthetic. I'm currently running M1 EP 5w30, and it sounds/feels the same.

Also, it is all I've run in my Mercedes E430. Smooth as silk.

I'm also currently running M1 EP 5w30 in my Ford F150 and Transit. Same deal. Smooth and quiet. The F150 has mostly run Pennzoil Platinum in the last few years. I changed over just to run everything on the same oil.

Honest to goodness I don't get the sound difference people hear. I've run many, many brands of oil over the years in the same vehicles and could never tell a difference in the way the engines sound from one to another. The viscosity range in my Jeep has been from 0w20 to 5w30 to 10w30 to 0w40. No perceived difference. Only when I ran an M1 oil filter did it make any noise, and it was only at start-up. The ADV didn't work in that brand of filter with the Jeep. That's the only time I've had an audible difference.

I used M1 0W40 twice in my car, both times I dumped it inside 100 miles because of the massive increase in valve train noise.
Both times, I switched back to Redline and the noise returned to its precious level of 'barely perceptible'

35.gif

Okay okay... I'm a Ford (truck) guy, but this still had me laughing my butt off!

Originally Posted By: Egg_Head
Originally Posted By: totegoat
My engines run quietly, but I don't own any Fords.

Hilarious

grin.gif

I will say in defense however, that it was only one generation of them that had that issue (the loud tapping/ticking issue) - luckily I do not have that generation of the Triton [modular] engine; I have one gen prior.

My '01 F-150 only chatters for a couple seconds on startup in cold weather (but so has every other vehicle I've heard started in cold weather). She sounds smooth as silk once she's warmed up no matter what grade or brand of oil I use (or brand of filter, except for the OCOD). (Not hating on Fram there though, as I love the Fram Ultras... [just hate the orange cans]).

Anyyywho...

To the point, OP...

Hearing more engine/valvetrain noises from a different oil doesn't mean it isn't protecting less. It more likely just means that the particular oil (in this case, M1) is less sound isolating than other oils. The properties of different liquids and their chemical makeups can greatly affect how much sound is, or is not, heard on the outside.

Nonetheless, do whatever makes you sleep better at night.

Or wear earplugs

~ Triton

I've said it a few times, I have tried Mobil 1 5w30 synthetic in 3 different vehicles. 99 Honda Prelude, 07 Acura RDX and 07 Honda Accord with 3.0 v6, all of vehicles during the use of M1 made the engine noisier then the used oil that was in their when I was doing the oil change.

I'm sure its great oil and is keeping my motor clean and healthy but when I can get sopus products such as PP, QSUD, Motomaster F1 (for the Canadians) for cheaper and they keep my motors clean, healthy AND QUIET why would I go buy M1?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mau
I've said it a few times, I have tried Mobil 1 5w30 synthetic in 3 different vehicles. 99 Honda Prelude, 07 Acura RDX and 07 Honda Accord with 3.0 v6, all of vehicles during the use of M1 made the engine noisier then the used oil that was in their when I was doing the oil change.

I'm sure its great oil and is keeping my motor clean and healthy but when I can get sopus products such as PP, QSUD, Motomaster F1 (for the Canadians) for cheaper and they keep my motors clean, healthy AND QUIET why would I go buy M1?

Why go M1 5w-30 indeed although once my currect OCI of PUP 5w-30 is done, I'm not going the ends of the earth (online) to really find it so I will be looking for something else. I realize noise isn't always scientific but even the 10-30 PYB was quieter and it's conventional. In the previous DD, 3.0 V6 Accord (see sig), I tried M1 5w-20 and it was very noisy. And by noisy, not the kind when you first start the car because as I see from the PUP 5w-30, that can be misleading.

For the most part my engine runs like silk on this oil or sounds like it's full of rocks on that oil is nothing but a bunch of blather... Startup noise is almost always related to the ADV in the oil filter, yes this assumes the engine is in good condition...

In the last four or five years I've had three filter cause startup noise, none because of oil...

I don't have to add coolant (or smell it either) anymore, but I no longer own any GMs.

I'm sure I'll catch some flaming from the M1 fans all over this site but I just recently tried my 3rd and final OCI with an M1 product and once again I have been let down. This time I tried the infamous 0W40 in my wifes Explorer Limited with the 4.6l V8, not until M1 did it ever have any start up noise/rattle and when hot at idle it had a very pronounced "knock" (likely timing chain tensioner noise and nothing serious but still) Same Motorcraft FL820S filter is always used so it wasn't that.

I put some Motorcraft 5W30 in it this OCI and its quiet as a mouse again. I have tried M1 oils in my F150 and my Honda cars and always found it made my engines noisy.

Anyone else find this or is it just me? Sorry Mobil, I'm done. If its noisy it can't be good...

Any UOAs to compare the two oils? Might be interesting to see.

The Wrangler's engine made more noise with M1 - and M1 has a well documented ability to conduct sound - but the UOAs were fine.

Last edited:

Nope, not the only one. I had the same experience in two 1998 GM vehicles in the late 90's early 2000's using Mobil 1. After a few years of using it, I quit and have never tried it again.

I'm not saying it wasn't protecting the engines but I didn't like the sound and I also had more oil consumption while using it. Both oil consumption, oil analysis wear results and noise went down when I switched back to a conventional oil.

I still own the 98 chevy truck and use 5W-30 Trop Artic semi-synthetic oil in it and while the engine does have some slight tapping on startup, it's quiet soon after that. With Mobil 1, it always had a tapping sound in the engine even after it had warmed up. I won't give this oil a second chance especially since there are so many other good oils on the market for less cost.

Wayne

M1 was always noisy in the Saturd. So was Pennzoil and Valvoline. Quaker State wasn't, Royal Purple wasn't, Super Tech wasn't, Kendall GT1 wasn't, and Delo (+1 qt Havoline) isn't.

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
I'm not an M1 swinger but any chance that colder mornings are attributing to this new found noise? My cammed LS engine sounds a little less like a sewing machine on M1 Ow40, compared to the last fill of PP 5w30. I've heard various types of noises from modular Ford engines over the years, I've owned 3 of the quad cam variety.

Same here. I ran 5w30 PU and PP in my then stock LS1. The five second or so valve train noise I heard on startup went away on M1 5w30 EP and 0w40.

I have always owned Fords, and the motors sound the same no matter what oil is in them.

Originally Posted By: Jason8691
...I have always owned Fords, and the motors sound the same no matter what oil is in them.

Me too. I was never very particular what oil they got. They were always quiet.

My LS-1 has been getting M1 5W-30 for 16 years. Always quiet as a mouse.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
If they told you wolverines would make good house pets, would you believe them?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
So in addition to Mobil 1 5W-30 and 10W-30 causing noise, this is the first report of 0W-40 causing noise ?

This is awesome; what an excellent way to start a new year.
smile.gif

Mobil 1 Noise

Heck yeah! Where can I get one?

I tried a few M1 grades 5w30, 0w40 and 15w50. The only one that didnt gave annoing noises was the 15w50, all the others have...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back