OBD2 scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of these has been on my "wish" list for a while now. Not knowing much about them, I asked a friend of mine who is more knowledgeable in the area than me and he recommended the autel brand. Wanting to get a few more opinions before I decide if I want to make a purchase. I also have a gift card to Sears that I received for Christmas, are the Craftsman ones any good, if so which would you recommend? My main goal is to be able to read/clear codes and abs I don't want something overly complicated that will get thrown in the tool box and never used

I use a BT-1 wireless connector on an iPhone with the DashCommand app. If you get hooked on the MPG function, you'll use it every day! More than just a code scanner.

If your on a budget the ones from Harbor Freight are fine. I paid $59 for the 60693 on sale with the 25% coupon. It's made by Autel and has firmware updates.

All I want to say is that while MANY people use and love the cheap plug in-Bluetooth-to-app systems a beloved figure, Scotty Kilmer (he makes car videos and is a friend to mankind) mentioned that they can damage your car.

He didn't say how but that's all I needed to hear. Kira

I tried a wireless one and it had connection problems on my car. Sometimes it would connect sometimes not. I got my money back from Amazon.

Originally Posted By: Kira
All I want to say is that while MANY people use and love the cheap plug in-Bluetooth-to-app systems a beloved figure, Scotty Kilmer (he makes car videos and is a friend to mankind) mentioned that they can damage your car.

He didn't say how but that's all I needed to hear. Kira

Scotty Kilmer isn't the brightest guy. Like his video on expensive luxury cars, i dont agree at all. Some things he is ok on but take everything he says with a grain of salt. He is a old school mechanic. I watch him for entertainment on dead wrong some of his ideas are.

The OBD2 port will not damage your car. There is no difference in plugging in a high end scan tool vs a $10 BT dongle, they both pull the data the same way. The worst it can do is drain your battery. All the insurance companies are using something very similar with those programs to monitor your driving for discounts.

If ABS 100% needed, then i would say get a standalone tool like, http://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-3160-Diagnostic-Scan-Vehicles/dp/B001QIUGVI to do what you need. I dont know what sears has, but they do have a similiar tool like the one i linked. It doesn't do ABS if i remember correctly.

Best entry level tool to have is a BT dongle and Torque.

Best entry level tool to have is a BT dongle and Torque.

I concur. The $20 investment has saved me a LOT of money troubleshooting.

I like Scotty. You can learn a lot from him.

I got curious to see if and how an OBD2 reader can damage a car, so I did some searching and found this from Reddit:

"Certainly! You have to swing the code reader very very hard, but I imagine that it would certainly put some dents in the body. The computer would be tougher, you might go through several code readers hammering away at that.

Oh you mean, by using it as it was designed? Nope, not a chance!"

I think if you're going out of your way to modify the values and parameters in the car's ECM to change the performance and aren't careful, then yes, you can probably do some damage. Other than that, I've heard nothing else.

If the propitiatory OBD PIDs are not needed and just the generic ones the Ultra-Gauge is good. I keep mine plug in all the time on the Accent.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
If the propitiatory OBD PIDs are not needed and just the generic ones the Ultra-Gauge is good. I keep mine plug in all the time on the Accent.

+1

I love the ultra-gauge!

Most OBDII scanners just do generic codes. For things like ABS and transmission codes and other systems, you have get a more dedicated system which is usually specific to that car. For Ford, there's a scanner called FORScan which will do other systems in addition to OBDII codes, some people have even programmed new keys with it.

There's also the Launch X431 Easydiag which you can get on aliexpress, they sometimes come with access to two manufacturer specific packages. Kinda flakey though, I had one and it stopped working after an OS update.

Bluetooth or wifi is really the way to go these day.

Scotty can be an idiot sometimes. I think he claimed that the MB he was working on had too complicated a dash and he couldn't figure out what all the buttons did. They were all pretty basic and it's all in the manual which of course he hasn't read. I actually like all the things mine can do and I looked for one that had most of the fun options. His rant was that they were too expensive to fix at the dealer which is why they brought the car to him. But that's true of practically any make which is why everyone calls them stealerships. Anyway, the only way you'd damage it is if you get a cheap scanner and you leave it in when the car is off, that will kill the battery after a while as it still draws power. There are a couple of scanners out there that will shut off after a while so it doesn't drain your batter. I suppose the other way would be to break a pin while taking it in or out.

Originally Posted By: sprite1741
If your on a budget the ones from Harbor Freight are fine. I paid $59 for the 60693 on sale with the 25% coupon. It's made by Autel and has firmware updates.

Would this one give live data such as water temperature?

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Yes

Was this to me?

I dont know enough about these to know they'd show live data.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Anyway, the only way you'd damage it is if you get a cheap scanner and you leave it in when the car is off, that will kill the battery after a while as it still draws power. There are a couple of scanners out there that will shut off after a while so it doesn't drain your batter. I suppose the other way would be to break a pin while taking it in or out.

I think the ODB2 power is off when the key is not in position II.

I have one of the Innova tools. It's great. Shows live data. I've owned it long enough to have to update it when I get a newer car. Hook it up online, pay a small fee, works on more stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back