How Many of you take Martial arts or were in Martial arts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i tried taekwondo for a 2 years. this was about 8 years ago. i was a green belt or somthing by the time i quit going.

the reason i quit, i am too tall for it. my long arms and legs cant react quick like normal size people so i was awalys getting beat down during sparing and such.
although having long arms and legs has its advantages in that i had lots of leverage to break boards and cemelt blocks easily where as others would struggle i awalys excelled at this.

i found out a gun is easier way to have self defense anyways.

Third degree black belt in Kempo, lots of good intentions to become excellent in Aikodo, but only an actual year of training in that. I ran my one of my instructor's dojo for about 9 years.
Gave it up because I grew sick of all the testosterone and attitudes.
My wife is shodan in Kendo, which means she can pick up a stick of about any kind and whoop up on you if you cross her.(which isn't difficult).
I have to disagree about not being able to be good at something because of the length of your arms amd legs. I'm kinda tall-6'1'--and I could make people look ridiculous, except for those who made me look even more ridiculous. Skill has nothing to do with your size or proportions, and everything to do with how hard you want to work, amd how much you want to know. I found that most of the people who become really good at anything are not those who are naturally good at it, but those who are forced to work hard because of something about themselves that they could use as an excuse to hold themselves back.
And yes, a gun is good for self-defense, but so what? Anyone can shoot someone, find something that sets you apart from the herd. I'm not just talking about martial arts either.

[ January 26, 2005, 12:22 AM: Message edited by: MarkC ]

Is there a certain age you need to be to start? I ask because my 3 year old son has become interested in the martial arts. My friends 6 year old son has started taking lessons and now my son wants to take them as well. Is there a certain style that works better for young kids?

quote:

Originally posted by SteelheadGuide:
Is there a certain age you need to be to start? I ask because my 3 year old son has become interested in the martial arts. My friends 6 year old son has started taking lessons and now my son wants to take them as well. Is there a certain style that works better for young kids?

I think the starting age is 5 years old. I'm 21 and I'm a purple belt, i wish I started when i was 5. As for styles, it all depends on what he or she likes. I love Taekwondo because I am good with my legs and 80% of TKD use legs. I mean theres hundreds of different kidns of martial arts.. so if i were you i would research on some of them. I'm thinking about taking Jeet Kune Do which is Karate, Kung Fu and taekwondo Combined.

I took Kung Fu classes in Boston, Chinatown when I was a kid. I liked it alot! The instructors couldn't speak english well so it was a little challenging at first. I wasn't able to stick with it since it conflicted with running cross country and playing football.

I would start kids as soon as you can.

jelly,

It was tough! The cross country ended around 4:30-5:00. Football practice started at 6:00 and ended at 8-8:30. The games were Saturday so no conflict there.

I had kids on my team that played hockey and football at the same time!
shocked.gif

quote:

Originally posted by ALS:
I spent 4 years in Tae Kwon Do and two years in Judo. I liked both but it became a time problem with work and school. I felt if I couldn't give it 100% I was wasting my money and time. I never felt my size was a detriment in either art. At 6'4" 220 lbs I had a large advantage over most of the instructors and students. At a green belt in Tae Kwon Do I was a handful for my instructors to spar with. Being I came from a swimming back ground I was already flexible which helped a lot.
In Judo which I really liked I was killing my opponents due to my quickness. They always had me going up against students 2 or 3 belts ahead of me. Everyone misjudged just how fast I could move because of my size. The only one that never did was my head instructor a 6th degree black belt. He was just as big, a lot stronger, and a lot quicker than me. You get religion very quickly when at 220 lbs a man picks you up and body slams you into the mat. I was told by a Jr. instructor that he was bench pressing 350 lbs.
I was looking at going back into it but the Martial art I wanted to take up is not offered by me. That Art is Krav Maga a defensive fighting art.

Krav Maga- the ISraeli Martial art.. i heard its very combat effective.

I spent 4 years in Tae Kwon Do and two years in Judo. I liked both but it became a time problem with work and school. I felt if I couldn't give it 100% I was wasting my money and time. I never felt my size was a detriment in either art. At 6'4" 220 lbs I had a large advantage over most of the instructors and students. At a green belt in Tae Kwon Do I was a handful for my instructors to spar with. Being I came from a swimming back ground I was already flexible which helped a lot.
In Judo which I really liked I was killing my opponents due to my quickness. They always had me going up against students 2 or 3 belts ahead of me. Everyone misjudged just how fast I could move because of my size. The only one that never did was my head instructor a 6th degree black belt. He was just as big, a lot stronger, and a lot quicker than me. You get religion very quickly when at 220 lbs a man picks you up and body slams you into the mat. I was told by a Jr. instructor that he was bench pressing 350 lbs.
I was looking at going back into it but the Martial art I wanted to take up is not offered by me. That Art is Krav Maga a defensive fighting art.

[ January 26, 2005, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: ALS ]

1st Degree Black Belt in Taekwondo. I took it from an ITA school. I haven't been in a while since I am in school and it is $$$. I had to stop after the blackbelt due to a knee injury.

I grew up practicing western boxing. The last 6 months I've been taking Wing Chun classes in Chinatown and(Wing Chun is a highly criticized art mainly due to the lack of real world success in MMA but that is a result of the lack of sparring and how it's applied), and Muay Thai. Brazilian JJ is excellent for ground defense. Krav is good to for every day self defense situations. All Martial Arts are good. Traditional/Classical martial arts have become more of a middle class hobby for most. It's good to acquire as many arts as you can and mix it up. It's not the style that matters but the individual and how they train. MMA is dominating and many traditional martial arts schools are struggling. Even in China where multiple forms of Kung Fu are exist they are losing out to the growing popularity of MMA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back