2000 Toyota Avalon Gas Hatch Locking Pin stuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crud on the cable end beside the seat can cause it to fail to return to lock position. Crud can get into the other end as well. Some Kriol or WD squirted into each end may help. If not, looking under the car at the run from front to back may show up some damage.

SAME thing happened to my wife's Camry once.....

I sprayed PB Blaster (or Silicone spray) & heated it up a bit with a hair dryer.

Then got a tweezers out and worked at it. It then popped out!

Originally Posted By: Turk

I sprayed PB Blaster (or Silicone spray) & heated it up a bit with a hair dryer.

Unless I'm reading the OP wrong I think the car has the opposite problem where the lid won't stay shut.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

Unless I'm reading the OP wrong I think the car has the opposite problem where the lid won't stay shut.

I think I answered correctly; we have a similar/same set-up.

There's a pin that sticks out that holds the latch closed. Pablo's is
retracted IN, so there's nothing to keep the door shut.

I lube them every late Fall now.
thumbsup2.gif

Yep this was it. I soaked it in Kroil, but it was so retracted I couldn't even get it with tweezers. I used a pick to snag it and pull it out, then it kept getting stuck every time I shut the hatch, so I blew it out with compressed air (this helped a ton), then I repeated Kroil and Amsoil Silcone spray, seems to be about perfect.

The worst part is, it so darn dark I couldn't see much detail, plus holding the light with one hand working with the other. I said this is nuts. Went back in house and got my head lamp!

Anyway - thanks. Annual lubing sounds like a plan! On all my cars.

FYI silicone will be better than petroleum lubes as they cause contaminants to stick. I'd brake clean that thing out and flush it with silicone. Also if you are somewhere that freezes silicone spray the door seals to keep them from sticking when it's frozen or when the Temps cycle high.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back