Archoil AR9100 and bypass oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're running Archoil AR9100 oil additive and you have a bypass oil filter on your engine, this pertains to you.

I have a 55 gallon drum of hydraulic oil that I continually reuse and clean (polish) using a model X011303 Donaldson Filter Buddy. link to pdf file

I run a P560584 dewatering filter and a P165185 filter with a Beta ratio of 200 at 4 microns. (the highest efficiency filter offered by Donaldson for this application)

I use both Caterpillar, and Blackstone Labs for used oil analysis, and the last time I sampled the oil it showed no water and an ISO cleanliness code of 18/17/14. Which is cleaner than new unused fluid, which rates at 21/18/14.

After this last report, I ran two of the P165185 (ultra-fine) filters in tandem on the Filter Buddy for another two weeks non-stop, and the back pressure indicators on the filter heads showed no resistance at all.

I've used AR9100 in my 2002 7.3 with good results. And a friend's 2005 6.0 showed improvements too. So I decided to add it to the hydraulic fluid batch.

I dumped about a gallon of AR9100 into 35 gallons of fluid, which is lean because the directions call for 3.2 ounces per quart. Meaning I should have dumped 3.5 gallons in it.

The filter was running when I added the AR9100. I dumped it in and focused on another task. I came back to the filter assembly about 10 minutes later, and noticed that both restriction indicators on the filter heads (plumed in series, not paralleled) were pushed all the way in the red (50 psi of back-pressure). So in 10 minutes time the AR9100 clogged two filters who previously showed no signs of any back pressure at all.

So now my questions is, if you're running a bypass valve on your truck, like me. Does all the good stuff in the AR9100 get stuck in your bypass filter? Does it clog the bypass filter rather quickly and make your bypass system ineffective?

I'll e-mail Archoil and ask these same questions after the Holidays.

A reply from the Archoil website on the subject of your question.

While your post was not responded to several years ago your subject got my attention since I am rebuilding a failed engine on a 1948 Model B Allis Chalmers farm tractor. It like some other tractors of the era only had a 15% by-pass filtering system and I plan to use Archoil AR 9100 and 5W-20 synthetic motor oil when we get the crank back from the machine shop.

The guy I bought the non running tractor from had a coolant leak and dumped in a lot of Liquid Glass type coolant stop leak. Well the coolant leak was from failed O-rings at the base of the wet cylinder sleeves so he was actually dumping the liquid glass into the crankcase with negative results.

At the above site you can read:

"My bypass filter filters down to 1 micron, will AR9100's additives be removed my bypass filter?

AR9100's extreme pressure additive is a nano material. The average particle size of AR9100 is 100 nanometers which is 1/10 of a micron, so AR9100 will pass through fine oil bypass filters without causing issues."

While this guy was filtered down lower than you this reply from Archoil if factual would indicate your by-pass filter was catching some beside the AR9100 perhaps.

In my case I may do a 3-5 minute run with something like conventional 10W-40 motor oil just to do a post build flush. Actually I may do this using the hand crank with the plugs removed using a small 12 volt pump since the factory oil pump oil pump is external of the crankcase and I can make a connection externally to pressurize the oil ways but there are none to the rod bearings.

After have used 5-6 gallons of Archoil AR9100 in engines and hydraulic systems I think you may want to look inside your 4 micron filter to see what you are catching out of your used hydraulic fluid that may have been missed in the pre AR 9100 usage.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back