GTL base stock-ANY chance of

Status
Not open for further replies.
"not playing well with others" (base stocks)??

Just curious, since they (GTLs) are fairly new, at least commercially to the general public/mass market, if there were ever any incompatibility issues between these and especially PAO/POE base stocks?
And IF there were, what would they manifest as, performance/function wise inside an engine?
21.gif

(Even though it is supposed to be mixable with everything else.)

I will hazard a guess you have a greater probability of winning tomorrows POWERBALL then GTL base stocks being incompatible with other commercially available base stocks to cause any harm.

I agree with Dave, can't see any world where groups 1 through IV won't work with them.

The III and IV have lower ability to solve varnish and the like than the 1s in particular and the IIs.

In that case, GTLs may not be compatible in some industrial applications with group I or where varnish may be an issue. If I'm reading between the lines.

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
In that case, GTLs may not be compatible in some industrial applications with group I or where varnish may be an issue. If I'm reading between the lines.

Turbine users got burned when the industry moved away from GrI (which while it DOES oxidise, can hold a LOT of varnish) to Gr II (and III), which can hold much much less.

The absolute worst case was as oil was used, and new oil was topped up, the overall varnish holding capacity dropped, and it all bombed out...ask me how I know.

GrIII (and IV) are even less polar than II
http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/428/varnish-power

As long as you have a good dispersant and or a little ester you can blend anything.

I would say that since GTL is so close to PAO in performance, no compatibility problems should arise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back