Focus ST Castrol 0w-40 Euro 5,800 mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Below is the fourth change in my Focus ST 2L Ecoboost, filter was a Royal Purple. Refilled with the same oil and a Fram Ultra. The previous two analysis were Pennz Platinum 5w-30 and motorcraft filters. My intent is to do two 8k changes and one filter. It looks like this oil kept shearing in line for longer runs and the TBN was high enough to support a longer run.

Anything else I missed or should be concerned with since you guys are much more versed in this than I am?

Qu6YuT5.jpg

Originally Posted By: Joel_MD
Did you warm up the engine well before drawing this sample? Sometimes more fuel shows up if the oil is not hot when you take the sample.

I think I changed the oil after a short trip to the store, then had the car started to get it up on ramps and that's it.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Curious does Ford recommend 5w-20 for these too?

Ford specs a 5w-30 for the ST.

Doesn't look bad, but lead and tin went up. If it were me, I'd stick with what Ford recommends unless you start getting bad UOA's.

Looks good. Much more Titanium than we've seen in other Edge UOAs lately. Those weren't 0W-40 though.

Originally Posted By: deven
Why are you using 0w40 in this car? Especially since you're in FL. No concerns about warranty??

Not concerned about warranty as my car is pretty modified and there's no way I'd get coverage if something was to go wrong. Even if I took all my bolt-ons off before service they'd still be able to see the ECU was tuned after flashing back to stock.

I switched to 0w-40 due to shearing of 5w-30 down to 20w within 5k miles. This Castrol seems to be more resistant to shearing and will stay in grade for my 7500mi oil changes and worst case only get to be a heavy 30wt if it does shear in that interval.

Originally Posted By: quantim0
Originally Posted By: deven
Why are you using 0w40 in this car? Especially since you're in FL. No concerns about warranty??

Not concerned about warranty as my car is pretty modified and there's no way I'd get coverage if something was to go wrong. Even if I took all my bolt-ons off before service they'd still be able to see the ECU was tuned after flashing back to stock.

I switched to 0w-40 due to shearing of 5w-30 down to 20w within 5k miles. This Castrol seems to be more resistant to shearing and will stay in grade for my 7500mi oil changes and worst case only get to be a heavy 30wt if it does shear in that interval.

Ahh...that makes two of us. My car is modified as well. It's an Audi A6 that's putting out 470 hp at the wheels. I am actually going from Royal Purple 5w40 to RP HPS 5w30. You should give RP a try. Most of my buddies at the track use RP and never an issue.

Seems the oil held up fine ! Ford would have to prove the oil caused the damage to deny warranty. I called Ford corporate about oil viscosity a while ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back