Biodiesel for use in parts washer??

Status
Not open for further replies.
While trying to search for something to use in my new parts washer, a couple people pointed that I should consider biodiesel. Decent on the hands (really should be wearing gloves anyways), not much smell, good cleaner, not corrosive. I'm assuming the flashpoint is moderately high as well? I'm better it's 1/5th the cost of mineral spirits. Is there a downside?

Well, I got 3 gallons of it today to test with. $2.05/gallon here for B100. I put some in a bucket and put a piston/rod in it, we will see how that does. I also put a windage tray and a couple other things in the bottom of the parts washer. I'll check them out tomorrow and see how they're looking.

Well, I like it. Enough that I went and got 15 more gallons today. Planning to cut it with ~5 gallons of regular diesel, and see if there's something I can do about the smell. It's not horrible, but it does smell like there's an old deep fryer in my shop now, which I'm not sure I can live with.

Well it's been 7-8 months and it's been fantastic. I moved my shop sink and parts washer into the same room, so if I need something rinsed off after parts washer use, I just turn around and wash it off with dawn in the sink. Yes mineral spirits has perks (like nor leaving a film), but - not at 5-10x the price. For the money this is outstanding.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back