Kia Rio, rear rotor retaining screw stripped....,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ughhhh. My rear brakes started grinding. Just hit 40,000 miles. I'm amazed the rear brake pads went out before the front. The fronts look great. Anyway, I picked up some NAPA ceramic pads and Napa rotors. Doing the job, I stripped the rotor retaining screw. I can't believe how tight they are. I am just going to drill head off. Do I need to replace them? Quick search of internet says not needed. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
I just wanted to add that apparently it is not uncommon for the rear pads to wear out before the fronts on these cars. I have never seen this before. I'm used to doing the front 2 or 3 times before touching the rears. The rear pads are small though. Real small.

When my friend did that on his Accord, we just drilled it out and used a tap drill and tap to make it the next larger size (or standard size) and bought some countersunk hardware.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
No I wouldn't bother me...next time use a hammer blow impact tool

OK. Thank you. I'm going to pickup that impact. Leaving screws out though,

I just did the brakes on my wife's Kia Sportage with those same screws.I soaked then with Kroil over night, and used a hammer type impact driver to get them out. You won't do it with a screwdriver. Even then they were tight to remove. I bought new screws a my local Napa,and put a dab of never seize on the threads and behind the screw head for next time.,,,,

Originally Posted By: Urshurak776
I just wanted to add that apparently it is not uncommon for the rear pads to wear out before the fronts on these cars. I have never seen this before. I'm used to doing the front 2 or 3 times before touching the rears. The rear pads are small though. Real small.

They have EBD so its not like the old days.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
I just did the brakes on my wife's Kia Sportage with those same screws.I soaked then with Kroil over night, and used a hammer type impact driver to get them out. You won't do it with a screwdriver. Even then they were tight to remove. I bought new screws a my local Napa,and put a dab of never seize on the threads and behind the screw head for next time.,,,,

Same process with our former civic. Love kroil

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna

Thanks. Soaking other side in penetrating fluid now. They just opened a new harbor freight 8 miles from me. Picking up impact hand driver in morning.

There's something to be said for taking stuff apart early in a car's life and putting on the antisieze that should have been there from the start. That way, at a later date when the work has to be done--it'll actually come apart.

Isn't that screw usually just used to hold the rotor in place while the car is going down the assembly line? I can't see it being necessary. Nice for keeping the rotor in place while working on the caliper. But a stack of washers under a lug or two would do the same thing.

Originally Posted By: Rand

Never heard of this. I'll look it up. So this is why the smaller rear pads wear out first?

Originally Posted By: supton
There's something to be said for taking stuff apart early in a car's life and putting on the antisieze that should have been there from the start. That way, at a later date when the work has to be done--it'll actually come apart.

Isn't that screw usually just used to hold the rotor in place while the car is going down the assembly line? I can't see it being necessary. Nice for keeping the rotor in place while working on the caliper. But a stack of washers under a lug or two would do the same thing.

This is what I read also. It is just used for assembly line. If I can get them out with impact, I'll anti-seize and use them. I stripped out one already though.

Never heard of this. I'll look it up. So this is why the smaller rear pads wear out first?

Well, being smaller that doesn't help. But yeah, look it up. Seems to be more common. As long as pads are cheap, then I'd not worry about it.

Personally, living in the rust belt, I've taken to R&R'ing brakes on at least a yearly basis, if not twice (spring and fall). Make sure everything is sliding properly, good lining, etc. IMO it makes for longer brake life too. I mean, once the lube dries out the pads can't possibly slide out as well, right?

EBD loads the rear brakes up first, until the adhesion limit of the tyres is reached (like running with a brake bias valve open in the older days). If you're light on the brakes you'll use the rears more than the fronts.

Originally Posted By: supton

Well, being smaller that doesn't help. But yeah, look it up. Seems to be more common. As long as pads are cheap, then I'd not worry about it.

Personally, living in the rust belt, I've taken to R&R'ing brakes on at least a yearly basis, if not twice (spring and fall). Make sure everything is sliding properly, good lining, etc. IMO it makes for longer brake life too. I mean, once the lube dries out the pads can't possibly slide out as well, right?

Same here. Every 10k miles roughly I strip andclean the brakes on the front. The rears go longer between cleaning. Last week I inspected the front brakes and decided to remove the aluminium calipers from the aluminium upright held in by the steel bolts as it'll be 10 years before I wearthrough my front brake pads if the wear rate upto now continues. All lubed now. The disc might or might not need replacing by that time. so far the pads + discs lost about 2mm in over 3 years of use...

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
No I wouldn't bother me...next time use a hammer blow impact tool

OK. Thank you. I'm going to pickup that impact. Leaving screws out though,

should the impact hammer fail aswel, use a center punch and hammer the screw out. I do these on a daily basis (hyundai, same exact thing) and never yet needed to resort to drilling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back