Is there a better oil than ATF in a ZF- 6 speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Ford F-350 2002 Diesel Crew Cab Long Box 4wd dually with the ZF 6 speed manual trans. Mine has the oil cooler and pump. Would I be better off using a manual transmission fluid or Mobil 5-30 HM than ATF. It lives on our 4 horse goose neck. It only has 129,000 miles on it but it has never been changed yet. The truck is bone stock but I have plans to bump it up a little.

If it falls for conventional ATF, use a synthetic from Amsoil or Redline.

If you want a GL4 fluid, use RP Synchromax or MTF2 from Ravenol or Pentosin. I even consider the Honda MTF.

Originally Posted By: rideahorse
I have a Ford F-350 2002 Diesel Crew Cab Long Box 4wd dually with the ZF 6 speed manual trans. Mine has the oil cooler and pump. Would I be better off using a manual transmission fluid or Mobil 5-30 HM than ATF. It lives on our 4 horse goose neck. It only has 129,000 miles on it but it has never been changed yet. The truck is bone stock but I have plans to bump it up a little.

Sure you can , with GL4 gear oils .

a )For start-up at 0*C and above ----- SAE 40;SAE 85W90 or SAE 90 , and

b )For start-up at -15*C and above --- SAE 30 or SAE 80W90, and

c )For start-up at .........................

Last edited:
Put 75w-90 MTF in it. They are not designed to run fluids as thin as atf.

OEM motorcraft MTF, but stuff like Amsoil MTF should also be very good

Originally Posted By: UrS4
Put 75w-90 MTF in it. They are not designed to run fluids as thin as ATF

How can you say that? ATF is what the manufacturer specifies, and that is what gets put in at the factory. Millions of miles are put on these trannies, having only used ATF.

If you use a 75-90 gear oil, you'll quickly discover that it's way too thick, and you'll have chatter and bearing noise in below freezing temps. Mark my words.

The only real substitute that has been proven effective is a synchromesh MTF fluid, which is just a bit thicker than ATF. I've used it successfully in a couple vehicles that specified ATF for the manual tranny with good results. Gear oil will not lubricate well at all.

Pennzoil Synchromesh, Royal Purple Synchromax, GM sells one under the AC Delco name IIRC, and they also have one with friction modifiers; not sure if there is any benefit to that.

Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2
How can you say that? ATF is what the manufacturer specifies, and that is what gets put in at the factory. Millions of miles are put on these trannies, having only used ATF.

If you use a 75-90 gear oil, you'll quickly discover that it's way too thick, and you'll have chatter and bearing noise in below freezing temps. Mark my words.

Interesting assessment there.

Could you please tell us what Ford put into these transmissions at the factory from 2008 to the end of their usage in 2010?

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
https://www.zf.com/na/content/media/unit...ed_Oil_List.pdf

It'd probably be an intelligent thing to properly vet documents for accuracy (context, publish date, etc.) before posting them to a thread.

Additionally, what's the deal with your continual "shotgun approach" to transmission lubricant selection? Do you just throw a bunch of stuff against a wall, and when one of the twenty sticks, say you were right all along?

Shotgun approach?
Its called trial and error. No two transmission respond the same way to a fluid. And, there are CHOICES that are available. You have a problem with freedom of CHOICE?

If you have an issue with my improperly vetted document, then contact ZF.

And, please don't put words in my mouth. Don't remember saying I was right in every single thread in this forum. Usually, most members request assistance or opinions, and either do nothing, do something else and complain, or disappear.

If you have a problem with my comments, you the forum ignore function. Did you add anything to assist the OP in your post? No. You simple attack me. FU

Its called trial and error.

It's called applying generalized knowledge and belief to a specific issue.

Are you going to foot the bill for him to cycle through the list of half dozen different lubricants you've listed?

The document was accurate at the time of publication, and reflects the stance of various OEM's. However, that's no longer the case, nor does it reflect the views of ZF as to their in-house lubrication selection for this transmission.

If you're going to post a document in a thread, the responsibility of vetting is on you, not them. Take responsibility.

What specific issue? Did you read the OP's post? or my response to it? Or, do you just hate me for some unknown reason?

Its for the OP to pick whatever he wants and for him to foot his own bills. Are you stating that vehicle maintenance should be socialized? Have the community or someone better off foot the bill? What is your dysfunction?

And, how is that document no longer the case? What is ZF's requirement for that vintage transmission? What is Ford's requirement at that time of manufacturing and now?

Please tell us what it requires and where that is stated by Ford.

https://www.zf.com/na/content/media/unit...ed_Oil_List.pdf

This list is for light duty light load applications..................
and it doesn't answer OP's question.

Ramblejam did answer OP's question.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
I have plans to bump it up a little.

If you're going to be putting more power thru a ZF S6-650, a different lubricant would be appropriate -- Ford did the same thing in later model years when ratings went from the 275hp/525tq of yours, to 350hp/650tq.
https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.c...mission%20Fluid

Now, this S6-650 manual transmission calls for ZF TE-ML_02 fluids ..................
where SAE xxW-90 is medium duty/medium loads and heavy duty/heavy loads parts of the ZF TE-ML_02 fluid list ,
and ......... I repeat for clarity of issues ...... ATF's is light duty light load part of the TE-ML_02 fluid list.

Castrol Manual GL 4 80W90 ......... http://www.castrol.com.ru/castrol/ep90.php

Last edited:
Did you read the OP's post?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3952421#Post3952421

And, how is that document no longer the case? What is ZF's requirement for that vintage transmission? What is Ford's requirement at that time of manufacturing and now?

If someone doesn't already know the answers to these questions, what business do they have making a lubricant recommendation for this transmission?

Generalized advice vs. specific knowledge.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Did you read the OP's post?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3952421#Post3952421

If someone doesn't already know the answers to these questions, what business do they have making a lubricant recommendation for this transmission?

Generalized advice vs. specific knowledge.

+1

And if I may add ........... specific knowledge in ........ specific applications and under .......... specific circumstances ........

Last edited:
Specific knowledge?
Never seen a bad drain of ATF from the s6-650. Have you?
Haven't seen a fluid related/caused failure when using ATF in this transmission. Have you?

Have changed many with ATF and used MTF/MTL/Synchromesh fluids with others, per owners requests. No need for thicker gear oil but some claim certain shifts felt better, or gear noise was less, or whatever. Its fine and not needed.

OP doesn't have the 2008-2010 which has a different gearset requiring thicker gear oil for that higher torque capacity.

Since temperature is well controlled with cooling, at least in the Fords, changing from the required ATF does not increase the power capacity of the transmission. That will require new shafts/gear or treatment of the current stock parts.

OP, you can contact Ford or ZF customer service if you want more info. Definitely too many clueless keyboard jocks here.

ZF fluid recommendation do not trump vehicle manufacturer recommendations as build to their spec is applicable... example.. conventional ATF in Ford with pumped cooling... and synthetic with GM without said pumped cooling

And, my response is specific to the OP's year and requirements. Not later years, or when used without coolers in commercial vehicles with different gearsets, different operating conditions, and different average temps, and obviously different fluid recommendations...

Have a good night. I am done dealing with ignorance that is no benefit to the OP. If the OP wants any more info, PM me.

I'm done debating with fools.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back