Most premium straight 30W oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howard's cams now requires a straight 20 or 30 weight oil for cam break-in. If flat tappet, the procedure has to include ZDDP additive. They specifically say not to use a multi-grade oil ...

I have run a lot of Howard's cams. They carry a 5 year warranty if used with matching lifters. So following their procedure is no joke for engine builders.

They say a Pennsylvania based oil is preferred...

I'm think Brad Penn, but gimmie some other options...

Last edited:
RP almost makes a monograde, conventional break in oil. If I were you, I'd ask them who uses Pennsylvania based oils these days. It should be good for a laugh, unless they think it's still 1955; even then, it's good for a laugh.

Anyone who would suggest you need Pennsylvania based oil is living 60 years in the past. That may have been true in the days of group 1 oils and primitive solvent refining processes, but has no meaning today. I suggest these people may not have a clue what they are talking about

mEzXjhpV9bH20oreIWf129A.jpg

Last edited:
And I see I cannot type today. I wrote that Royal Purple "almost" makes a monograde break in oil, when it's clear that they do market such a product, with three other monogrades. I guess also and almost were too close for the fingers.
wink.gif

marc1, as an aside, maybe you can hound your local Walmart. Here, they have 20w-50 VR1 all the time, but never any 10w-30. The VR1 isn't priced half bad, either, cheaper than a "normal" conventional, anyhow.

You are doing well. I guess there are still some refiners who make a range of straight weights. The requirements do not say "break-in" oil. I'm pretty sure they are requiring normal service oils ...

I thought there might be a few to supply the legacy stock of Detroit Diesels out there, but this is more encouraging than that
smile.gif

Also I forgot to mention that it must be equal to the API grade specified for the original engine configuration. So if you had say an SBF 5.0 that originally came spec'd at SJ, your 30 wt straight grade would have to SJ, or better. Is anyone still submitting straight weights to API for certification?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Also I forgot to mention that it must be equal to the API grade specified for the original engine configuration. So if you had say an SBF 5.0 that originally came spec'd at SJ, your 30 wt straight grade would have to SJ, or better. Is anyone still submitting straight weights to API for certification?

Delo400 will do SJ....

with the limits on phosphorous in the 30 grades, I doubt anyone would make an SN HD30.

For most of the older tech engines that are the basis of builds involving Howard's cams, SJ would be entirely appropriate.

Some of the later blocks might be late 90's, but the bulk of the blocks in question are 70's & 80's
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Is anyone still submitting straight weights to API for certification?

Yes. I've seen SN rated monogrades. They're not common, at least not on shelves, but they do exist.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
with the limits on phosphorous in the 30 grades, I doubt anyone would make an SN HD30.

You can get around that by making a CJ-4/SN SAE 30, but I have seen basic SN monogrades. I don't know why they'd bother making just an SN one, either.

Howard's Cams, Oshkosh, WI (over the bridge, hang a right) was in need of a make over when John Steely was hired as the man for the job. John, left Erson/Mallory in Carson City NV around 2002, brought his knowledge and experience with him, acquired a few hundred new lobe masters, put together popular grinds and re-wrote the Howards catalogue.
If you look at an old Erson catalogue, you will see the similarities, mono-grade engine oil for break-in being one of them.
Because of the unloaded to skid-spin loading of flat tappet cams, many feel FM'd and/or VII'd engine oils do not work well in highly loaded valve trains.
Back in the day when these guidelines were written, most HDEOs were mono-grades, and 15w40 not yet heard of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back