Purolator BOSS PICS open and can

Status
Not open for further replies.
20 years ago if i saw plastic inside an oil filter i would have thought it was junk today most engines have plastic in them and there are little to no issues..Those pictures you posted look like the boss could be a well made filter. I looked at a couple of the new Purolater filters and did not really like the tiny oil holes in the center tube. I will be cutting open the first one i get my hands on and report back. I am still not so happy with Purolater but if their filters prove to be good again i may give them another chance.

These BOSS filters look great. Their cartridge filters look robust and well made and the spin on ones look good from the outside. Waiting for someone to cut open one of these spin on boss filters. I might give them a try next OCI after the Fram Ultra.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Noobie
These BOSS filters look great. Their cartridge filters look robust and well made and the spin on ones look good from the outside. Waiting for someone to cut open one of these spin on boss filters. I might give them a try next OCI after the Fram Ultra.

Im going to try one also...

Im sure Advance will have one of them sales with OIl and a BOSS oil filter..

Plus I use my Discount or speed perks.. (( I cant use them both and same time ))

Last edited:
Just curious....was was the other cartridge filter (the 154 one) made? Wondering if that is a USA made one...maybe made by hengst or mann....

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Wow! That's totally different, looks very high quality. Did it say where it was made?

+1 Looks like they realized their mistake and turned around a pretty nice product

The Mann cartridge shown has been around for many years. MB calls it a fleece filter. I wonder if people are thinking that is what is inside the Purolator can because all is pictured together?

It cracks me up that they labelled the guts inside that noone would see unless they cut them open.

They should make 1 in 100 a $100 prize winner, and not tell anyone, just print "call this number..."

I saw these filters while I was at work yesterday for the first time. I agree they are very heavy. Prob the heaviest of all the filters we sell. I was thinking of buying one from the back and using it since I need an oil change anyways... Gotta love emp discount and speedperks.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
It cracks me up that they labelled the guts inside that noone would see unless they cut them open.

They should make 1 in 100 a $100 prize winner, and not tell anyone, just print "call this number..."

? He posted two cartridge and a spin on filter.... No cutting involved.

I'm just disappointed that the Boss spin-ons aren't grippy. That might be enough to stop me from using them on the Jeep, as getting a filter wrench in there is a real PITA (non-issue with the Fram Ultras and the old grippy Puros). Maybe I'll just buy up a few of the Puro synthetics if anyone puts them on sale with the Boss out now...

Originally Posted By: rslifkin
I'm just disappointed that the Boss spin-ons aren't grippy. -snip- Maybe I'll just buy up a few of the Puro synthetics if anyone puts them on sale with the Boss out now...

01.gif

Originally Posted By: rslifkin
I'm just disappointed that the Boss spin-ons aren't grippy. That might be enough to stop me from using them on the Jeep, as getting a filter wrench in there is a real PITA (non-issue with the Fram Ultras and the old grippy Puros). Maybe I'll just buy up a few of the Puro synthetics if anyone puts them on sale with the Boss out now...

You might find some great deals on the Puro synths that way.. but...

Why not take a Boss and either dip it in some plastidip, or get a can of spray on bedliner and hit it with that. Would make it pretty grippy.

I just picked up a PBL20195 at a CarQuest in Northern California, an Advance Auto affiliate. The cashier rung it up as a PL20195 so I got it for $7.29, I'm not sure what the real price is but I think the shelf said $11.99.

Aesthetic Opinions (have nothing to do with function): The paint job is black with silver flake, reminiscent of a Fram Ultra. The weight didn't strike me as heavy, perhaps comparable to an Royal Purple 20-400. The sticker is clear plastic so it would be easy to remove without leaving residue so you could have a nice clean looking filter if you had a show car.

The cashier said that their WIX rep was checking them out yesterday and was impressed.

Lets see what happens and lets see what they look like after 5000 miles ...Many people including myself won't use a purolater for at least a year or two until we are sure they have improved because they still did not admit there was a problem as far as i know so maybe nothing was done except a pretty paint job and making the oil holes on the center tube super small and restrictive looking.

I personally hope they are improved.

Originally Posted By: SavagePatch
The paint job is black with silver flake, reminiscent of a Fram Ultra.

On a previous thread, I said the filter was black, but others said I was wrong. May I suggest an Acer IPS monitor to those that said I was wrong about the color?

Looks like a total combo of Mann & Purolator. Puro end-plate with Mann guts? If its anything Mann, prepare yourself for some price shock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back