Change oil after a misfire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was driving my car this morning and about 2 miles from home I noticed the engine running very rough on acceleration. The CE light only came on after I pulled over and popped the hood. Since I was only a few miles away, I turned around and drove home keeping the tach under 2k and 20mph. I have a Bluetooth scanner and it showed P0302.

I started with the basics and checked for spark. I had replaced my ignition coils last year, so I had my old ones in the garage and I replaced cyl#2 coil pack. Imediately after I restarted the car the roughness was gone and I cleared the code, so far so good. But I was wondering do I need to do an oil change?

My wife drove the car last night maybe 5-10 miles and noticed it running weird, but no CEL was lit and she didn't tell me until this happened this morning. So after maybe 10-14 (tops) miles of dumping fuel into one cylinder, should I do an oil change?

Only 700 miles on current OCI of PU. I smell a little fuel on the dipstick, but to me it always smells a little bit. Color still looks amber, not watery and not dark.

I don't want to dump the oil if it won't hurt anything leaving it alone. I did take it on a 20 mile trip to make sure the misfire was gone and it is.

No, but change it if you run hot brakes through a puddlem that steam gets in through the pcv you know....seriously guys.

You do not need to change the oil just because of a misfire.

What kind of coils did you buy? Most aftermarket coils are Chinese [censored]. Only buy Denso coils. Denso is OEM; you do not have to get them at the dealer. Rock Auto and Amazon sell Denso parts
smile.gif

I debated even asking the question because I figured it wasn't a big deal, but I figured at least I'd find out. Thanks for the replies.

And yes, they were chinese aftermarket. Never again.

Most of the unburned fuel went out the exhaust port and made your catalyst a bit hotter, but you don't need to change that either.

Any fuel that didn't will boil off with the oil at operating temperature.

Heavy fuel dilution would raise the oil level. If that hasn't happened, you're OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back