Summer vs All season tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely run summers when possible. If you're not going for performance, you don't need super high performance summers, but a mild summer tire will generally be better in the rain than an all season as well as having more grip and a bit stiffer sidewalls.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Any significant advantage to summer tires hear in Florida?

As was said earlier, this will really vary based on a specific tire model. A medicore summer tire may be worse than a top of the line all-season tire in some aspects.

In general, there should be some advantages to running summer tires in Florida (crisper handling/steering response, potentially more grip in dry/wet), as well as some disadvantages (harsher ride, shorter tread life), so you need to define your priorities first, and then choose a tire based on them.

Quote:
Sounds like my best solution is something like my OEM, all season H rated tire unless someone come back to challenge that thought. Ed

Check out the new Michelin Premier LTX, if available in your size.

Originally Posted By: KitaCam
Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
A couple of thoughts:

First, tires of the same size and type can vary greatly. It is hard to make blanket statements because there is some overlap.

Yes, summer tires TEND to be better handling / harsher riding than all season tires, but there are some exceptions.

The same is true of treadwear, traction, and fuel economy.

So careful selection is called for.

Florida is known for its abrasive roads. And the abrasion levels are worse in South Florida than in northern FL.

Florida is also known as an area with more vibration complaints. That's because Florida roads don't experience the freezing and thawing that causes northern roads to heave and become uneven - which disguises out of round and out of balance tires and wheels.

As a south Flordian I can totally confirm this^^^^^....Rubber compound and tread design are more important than the "summer" or A/S designation.

There is much more to be concerned with construction and design in terms of PURPOSE....here in FLA I chose RAIN dispersion as my highest criterion...2nd was a quiet ride...both a function of tread design....Hankook Ventus tires I had a couple years ago (now the Hankook Ventus v12 evo2 k120) were excellent in dry and wet conditions but were LOOOUUUUD...a cheap imitation/version (Sumic/Doral/Aspen) A/S tire was okay in Florida temps but dangerous in 30° Chicago rain..despite being designated A/S, the tire hardened up at freezing temps and had little grip in freezing rain...scary....

Dry road gripping soft tires (a function of rubber compound chemistry) wear more quickly more than harder compounds build for tread-life, but because NO tire lasts the expected mileage here due to the shell impregnated roadways in Fla, I prefer the softies...

Finally, softer tires STAY softer in colder weather for less slip'nsliding on rain soaked roads when the temps get in the low 30°s...some summer tires (like the Ventus, a 3-season tire based on its tread design....though Hankook claims it's A/S) fit these criteria, but many more A/S tires will as they're made for colder temps....

My current tire has performed well here in Florida...Cooper CS5 ultra touring.

Best tire in rain that I ever had was Michelin Pilot Super Sport.
Are there better A/S tires when it comes to resistance to hydroplaning? Probably yeah, but all thing considered, advantage is negligible.
Are there A/S/ tire better in handling or braking in rain? NO! I had various A/S, tires and yet to find one that brakes on par with performance summer tires in rain, especially these Michelin PSS. I had Bridegestone Potenza, Continental Contisport, Michelin PSS, Good Year Eagle F1, and all had better wet capabilities then any AS tire I had.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Thank you for all your input. I am a fairly easy driver with my Mazda CX5 but, frequently have some fun in corners at 50 mph at about 0.5G. I seldom test the cornering limits on a dry road with the OEM tires. Sounds like my best solution is something like my OEM, all season H rated tire unless someone come back to challenge that thought. Ed

Find summer tire with lowest speed index, like H or V.
You do not need max performance entire like Michelin PSS, but tire like Michelin Primacy HP would always be my first choice over AS tire in Florida, Southern CA etc.
I had Michelin PSS when I lived in San Diego, and worked all year around well. Florida is warmer then San Diego in winter so in my opinion, unless you drive to NC, TN etc, stick to summer tires.

with the tire sizes the CX-5 (225/65 R17 or 225/55r19), summers are almost non-existent.

But if you have the 19" version, and try say 235/50r19, some options may open up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back