Took a small a small gamble with my ZF 6HP26...

Status
Not open for further replies.
and it seemed to pay off.

The car in question is a 2006 Jaguar XJ Vanden Plas. The cooler lines started leaking and by the time I noticed it, the fluid was 2-3 quarts low and the "Gearbox Fault" message illuminated. I used a pipe cutter to remove the flex sections and installed hoses. The available fluid options, especially last minute on a Sunday are near nonexistent which is when I was able to gather materials and get to work. ZF states Lifeguard 6 and the Jaguar fluid are the only options.

What did I buy? Motorcraft Mercon SP. It's the only fluid recommended for the Lincoln Navigator's 6SHP26 which many on the Jaguar forums have debated if there are actually any differences between the Jag box and the Lincoln trans.

My findings? So far all of the oddball side effects I've seen since I purchased the car are finally gone. The 2-1 lurch downshift is gone. The shifts are now super smooth and almost undetectable unless you are watching the tach. Some have seen some weird unwanted side effects using alternative fluids since the 6HP26 seems to be pretty finicky due to its quick torque converter lockup and manual style clutch action above second gear. I've talked with a small group of Jaguar owners with similar experiences so it looks like there is finally a viable affordable alternative to the $20 a quart for the ZF 6 speed.

Did you go on the ZF website and see what other fluids may be in spec? Lots of their transmissions are compatible with Castrol IMV ATF

ZF won't back any other fluids. It's caused many forum debates with Jaguar and BMW owners. The spec is Shell M1375.4, but no fluids other than ZF Lifeguard 6 are actually licensed. Redline has a fluid that says it meets it, but isn't endorsed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Torrid
ZF won't back any other fluids. It's caused many forum debates with Jaguar and BMW owners. The spec is Shell M1375.4, but no fluids other than ZF Lifeguard 6 are actually licensed. Redline has a fluid that says it meets it, but isn't endorsed.

I have a different vehicle than this, but I too trust the forum owners trying fluids based on what should be similar.

OP, I'm glad it also helped clear up other things!

There was no gamble.

ZF wont back any other fluids. They also wont back their transmission once the warranty expires.

I've used plenty of multivehicle ATFs with ZF boxes and none had any issues.

The lack of maintenance is the issue. Time for a complete fluid change.

It had a complete change. I used the cooler lines to pump the fluid out as I added Mercon SP through the fill hole.

This is good to know! I bit the bullet a couple years ago and ordered a case of the Lifeguard fluid for our 335D. I'll be looking for the Mercon next time around if the car is still around.

The available fluid options, especially last minute on a Sunday are near nonexistent which is when I was able to gather materials and get to work. ZF states Lifeguard 6 and the Jaguar fluid are the only options.

Torrid et al,

According to ZF's List of Lubricants, Sheet TE-ML 11, the following may be used (unfortunately generally only part numbers are listed rather than specifications):

6HP19,
6HP19A (2) - MPL-dependent (main parts list) 6HP19X - not for Audi Q7,
6HP21, 6HP21X, 6HP26, 6HP26X, 6HP26A61 - not for vehicles equipped with Audi W12-engine (2),
6HP28, 6HP28X, 6HP28A61,
6HP32, 6HP32A (2), 6HP32X:

According to spare part number of vehicle manufacturer: ZF Lifeguardfluid 6 (ZF No. S671 090 255)
=> AML Oil No. 4G4319A509/AA/S
=> Audi / VW Oil No. G 055005 A1 / A2 / A6
=> Bentley Oil No. PY112995PA
=> BMW Oil No. 8322 0142516
=> Hyundai Oil No. 040000C90SG
=> Jaguar Oil No. Jaguar Fluid 8432
=> Land Rover Oil No. TYK500050
=> Maserati Oil No. 231603

6HP19A (2) - MPL-dependent (main parts list) 6HP19X - for Audi Q7,
6HP26A61 - for vehicles with Audi W12-engine (2)
6HP28AF (2)
8HP45, 8HP45X, 8HP55A (2), 8HP70, 8HP70L, 8HP70X, 8HP90, 8HP90A (2) 9HP48:

According to spare part number of vehicle manufacturer: ZF Lifeguardfluid 8 (ZF No. S671 090 312)
=> Audi / VW Oil No. G 060162 A1 / A2 / A6 ATF
=> BMW Oil No. 8322 2152426
=> Jaguar Oil No. 02JDE 26444
=> Land Rover Oil No. LR023288
=> Chrysler Oil No. 68157995AA
=> Petronas Tutela Transmission AS8

Regards, lim

Last edited:
Yes, but all of those OEM fluids are extremely expensive. Almost all of them are actually Lifeguard 6 in another bottle and even more expensive than the LG6.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Were you able to get the right kind of hose? I got into a little tiff with the local "expert" at AutoZone who tried to sell me fuel line hose instead of tranny cooler hose which was sitting on the shelf right next to the fuel line hose.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1619207

No, I'm using the wrong hose temporarily. I had to order trans oil cooler hose, but still get this car on the road. Technically what I'm using is heater hose and it would be short lived if I left it in there. The fluid will probably swell and soften the hoses.

Originally Posted By: Ram01
Aint ZF transmission's fluid a lifetime. Don't touch it

Far from it. Seems like this trans beats up fluid.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Were you able to get the right kind of hose? I got into a little tiff with the local "expert" at AutoZone who tried to sell me fuel line hose instead of tranny cooler hose which was sitting on the shelf right next to the fuel line hose.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1619207

No, I'm using the wrong hose temporarily. I had to order trans oil cooler hose, but still get this car on the road. Technically what I'm using is heater hose and it would be short lived if I left it in there. The fluid will probably swell and soften the hoses.

I agree; I don't think heater hose will last.

I would add that ZF has changed their service recommendation to 60k miles. They are calling for a drain, replace electronic plug sealing connector, pan/filter combo, and refill. It's $300 for parts and ZF LG6 fluid.

No gamble. It's the same trans distributed by the exact same company. You know Ford was not going to pay extra money for unicorn bone clutches to be put in the LR and Jag.

Use the SP and never worry about it. Lots of people do it. Nobody is having their trans blow up.

True, but the speculation has been that the Jag's ZF was the standard unit. The Navigator was the only possible outlier here. ZF maintains that they sent the parts to Ford to assemble for the Navigator and some of the parts are different, such as the driveshaft connection, but Ford hasn't said anything else is different and ZF says they don't know what Ford has done otherwise to the gearbox. Most likely the gears and clutches are the same, but some ZF 6HP26s are rated for higher torque handling. ZF says that the programming for the Navigator may be for different slip characteristics and the fluid may be different for this reason.

Either way, I've seen an improvement in performance in every way now that it has fresh fluid at the proper level.

How do you check for the proper level on these units.

I think my car has the same transmission but there's no dipstick.
Any work to be performed on this unit requires the exhaust be removed/lowered in that area.
I understand there's an involved process to check fluid level, which requires running the engine/transmission up to a specific temp.

I think I'm going to have to install a vehicle hoist in the garage sooner rather than later.

Make sure the car is level, fill the gearbox to the brim through the fill hole on the right side of the transmission. Start the car and go through the gears P R N D and back, pausing in each position for one second, then continue filling the transmission until the fluid runs out in a thin stream. It says to make sure the fluid is at 40 centigrade while this thin stream is running out and reinstall the plug, but I didn't actually measure the temp. I'm sure I was close because the car wasn't running for very long when I finished filling it.

Ducman - I invested in a pair of kevlar heat resistant sleeves and gloves a long time ago for messed up jobs like this. I would suggest you do the same.

Doing this job with the exhaust off would likely be loud, noxious, and hot, given that the engine must be running while performing this procedure.

Torrid - A lot of speculation goes around, but my own speculation is that given that Ford finally acknowledged their inability to create a decent automatic transmission in-house, I doubt they played around with clutch material. If we were talking bona-fide 6R80, I might feel different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back