13 f150 Ecoboost, Magnetec 5/30, 9278 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
The twins are doing fine at 97K.

80-img009_df7d36ec5b3157e19f66f470d14a9ea7defdeb29.jpg

Last two are Magnatec, previous were syn-blend.

Last edited:
This is the second stellar showing for Castrol's Magnatec blend I've seen. Very nice report.

Thanks, I am liking it.

I think the universals are based on ~5600 miles.

How's the internals looking. Still nice and shiny or a golden hue to them? I'll be doing an oci on my Eco in the next few weeks at 6mon/5k mark.

Castrol lists three different 5w-30 for Magnatec. Is this the Dexos 1 synthetic blend? I know the Magnatec 5w-20 is a full synthetic, and probably one of the best deals going if you want a quality full synthetic motor oil on the cheap.

Originally Posted By: KingCake
Yeah can you clarify is this the blend?
is a link to previous uoa link to uoa just a wee bit of more info

Nice results. These modern oils are really making Amsoil look so old school with their 4k ppm of Calcium. I don't mean to single out them, but it's true. Amsoil has always been boosted old school technology.

As Molekule has been saying for years, there are more state of the art additives that just don't show up in a VOA. More is not always better.

Look forward to seeing more of the lower SA oils and how they hold up.

Very nice report! Thanks for sharing!

Would you mind telling us a little bit more about your driving style with this vehicle? Very happy to see the fuel as being almost non-existent.

Very nice report, were you using the OLM? If so at what percentage did you change the oil.

Also Magnatec 5w-30 is a blend, so that just makes the report even more impressive.

buster said:
Nice results. These modern oils are really making Amsoil look so old school with their 4k ppm of Calcium. I don't mean to single out them, but it's true. Amsoil has always been boosted old school technology.

As Molekule has been saying for years, there are more state of the art additives that just don't show up in a VOA. More is not always better.

Look forward to seeing more of the lower SA oils and how they hold up. [/quote ] Amsoils add packages over the years are somewhat similar to the HDEO oil add packages [That is why they lasted up to mileage ] Amsoil is marketed to non professional users. If Amsoil was cost effective all the commercial companies would switch . Saying that Amsoil is a top tier oil.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
Very nice report, were you using the OLM? If so at what percentage did you change the oil.

Also Magnatec 5w-30 is a blend, so that just makes the report even more impressive.
Syn oil isn't all we have been marketed to believe it is.

It is the Magnatec syn-blend as noted above.

I was using the GTX syn-blend until it was replaced by this oil.

Trying to go by the OLM as much as possible, but life gets in the way... I have had to shortchange it a time or two to avoid getting caught on a trip and needing a change.

The OLM tracks right on a 10k change so it was around 93%, had a trip the next week so changed it.

I commute ~45miles each way, about 65% open hwy, the rest stop and go or surface streets.

The thing that helps here is the number of miles per cold start.... the engine gets heat saturated almost every start.... with the exception being when my wife steals it to take to the grocery store.

It is interesting to me how much the iron dropped... really a big %.... it appears other wear metals have dropped a bit also, % wise might be very close.

What happened to the fuel in oil? No clue. Maybe it is finally broken in!!!

I like where this is going, the wear numbers are looking as good or better than my old 7.3.

Last edited:
This oil is in my Rogue now, maybe too late to save her though. An impressive 18 buck a jug oil. Anyone should be pleased with this oil in a normal PCMO 5w30 application.
Liking it better than Supertech or Valvoline 5w30's ive been running. And I have not been a Castrol(BP)fan since the early eighties. beg=fore I knew much about oil - Castrol just marketed " sportier/racier" than the other ho hum brands.
Try it!

Last edited:
Now that my wife and I both have Ecoboost powered vehicles that both use 5w-30, I think I am going to switch over to Magnatec based on the good UOA's I have been seeing including your Ecoboost. On subscription from Amazon it is $16 for 5 quarts...still got some Edge to use up but the wife's Escape will get the Magnatec from the get go.

Looks to be an outstanding oil.

I have a 2013 F-150 with the 3.5 ecoboost and appreciate you posting this report. Looks great!
I've been using the MC Oil but am going to give this a try.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back