Lucas Enigine oil Stop Leak?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I, regretfully now, agreed to allow the oil change place to add Lucas Engine Oil Stop Leak during my oil change today. I couldn't turn the oil plug so I took it to an oil change place. Should have had my own mechanic do it, but I wanted to get it done on the weekend, ugh. Anyway they had me take a look at the oil pan seal, it was seeping a bit but so what. Oil wasn't dripping on the pavement, no oil spots at home, but I said go ahead and add it. Adding that Lucas gooey [censored] to full synthentic 5W20 was just dumb. I only drove the car home so far about 3 miles. I'm thinking to switch that toxic combo out myself and keep it just for top ups. I will get a pump if I still can't turn that [censored] plug tomorrow. At least I can pump that junk out. Remove the oil filter, drain the filter and put it back on without too much of a mess and add pure 5W30 Mobil 1. The reason I agreed to adding the Lucas Stop Leak was that I have added at least 3 quarts of oil since my last oil change 5 months ago (13,000 km). Car (2001 Elantra) only has 166,000 km. I bet I'm burning oil, I never find oil spots anywhere so I must be burning it. Adding the Lucas Engine Oil Stop Leak was not smart, can make things worse I think.
Further Note: There was an earlier thread about adding a quart every 300 miles. I use to do that on a Plymouth Volare that was leaking badly in the rear main seal. The Elantra is nowhere near that, probably adding nor more that a half-quart every 1000 km on highway, most likely even less than that if I take it easy on the highway and don't speed.

Going to the Canadian Tire now to get a brass pump. Looks like they added an extra 1/3 or 1/2 a quart. I may pump the extra out and just leave it at that. Oh, and I'll get some 0W20 or 0W30 for top ups, so that I can dilute that [censored] as winter gets colder. Yep that's my plan, cross my fingers. We are still over 0 Celcius during the days so I'll keep the [censored] in there and just add 0W20 or 0W30 until the next oil change in the spring.

Last edited:
They call the regular version of this stuff a "bottle of snot"

Hey, maybe if an engine has a spot that isn't sealing as well as it should.. Don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back