Formula Shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yup

The cheap Formula Shell in white bottles. Like half price of Yellow Bottle. I used to use in my small engines but curious what it's story would be in a car. It's so cheap, especially on sale, seems like it could be a heckuva deal.

I only see formula shell at convience store outlets and its always over priced. Its also at pep boys in my area way overpriced. If my local walmarts carried it I'd imagine it would be the value conventional.

BJs carries Formula Shell. It's also regularly on sale. In fact, I think they have an instant coupon on cases right now, through the end of the year. Formula Shell is a fine oil.

The last time I went to Jiffy Lube, they gave me my choice of PYB or Formula Shell for the same price. (It was a beater car and I won a free Jiffy change in a contest) Pep Boys also offers the same deal - apparently some people don't like PYB because their oil gets dirty too fast. Hmmm - I wonder what that means?

Occasionally sold at Menards for $1.99/quart, no rebate needed.
Not sure how close you are to a Menards.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
Formula Shell is available at most Home Depot stores. A poor man's Quaker State or Pennzoil, it's good stuff for the right application.

Home Depot is where I buy it too. Goes on sale every now and then.

I tried the search feature on here to search for the oil name but either I don't know how to search or it's awful. But anyway, I used to buy it at my local Menards on sale but now don't live near any Menards stores. I saw it at Home Depot and now live in a more moderate climate and plan to just use cheap conventional on my old Civic. Thought it might be a decent oil for super cheap.

I have been using it in my parents Suburban and S10 - good oil for a regular 5k oil change. Our local Home Depot has it on sale regularly for $12.97 - for a 5 qt jug of 5w30 or 10w30.

I have used Quaker State for years in my wife's matrix. Either that or Mobil Super/5000.

Home depot started carrying 5 quart jugs of Formula Shell for $12.xx.

I think that is a real good price, and I have been running that 5w30 in her car for the past two runs.

Good for her application, car has about 80k miles on it and runs like a watch and doesn't burn a drop between 5k mile oil changes.

Between that and my stash of sub $2 oil filters for her Matrix from rockauto, I can stay out of Walmart for at least a year.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
BJs carries Formula Shell. It's also regularly on sale. In fact, I think they have an instant coupon on cases right now, through the end of the year. Formula Shell is a fine oil.

I was buying Formula Shell Synthetic at BJ's for about 2 yrs / 15K miles. Even with the $10 coupon it was no great deal at around $4.50/qt. I haven't seen it for my last 2 trips there....it's been replaced with Pennz Plat 10w-30....which this month is carrying the $4 coupon...or $19.99 net for 6 qts, much cheaper than the FS ever was. They must have a lot of 10w-30 to get rid of.

The Formula shell conventional and syntec have a makeup similar to Mobil Super Synthetic. The SOPUS FS is somewhat different vs. the SOPUS Pennz and QS, which seems odd to me (less Ca, more Moly, and a lot of Boron).

Formula Shell conventional and synthetic is available at Pep Boys here. Conventional version is also available at the 99 Cent Only Store (for $3.00). Formula Shell and Quaker State are apparently made of a tad bit cheaper base oil and ingredients than the flagship Pennzoil line of SOPUS, but Formula Shell is still a very good oil. It's a best buy (price/quality compromise) unless Pennzoil is on sale.

Here is how its synthetic version compares to other SOPUS oils and other brands. It's very good:

http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/Marchsyntheticsallfinal.html

I like Formula Shell a lot. Everything runs quiet and pretty clean. I get it at Farm and Fleet for $1.99 on sale quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back