Fram Ultra = Piece of [censored]? Another BMW thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just went to do an oil change on a 330XI and the Fram Ultra I took out was in pieces in the oil filter housing. XG10075 I believe. I seem to recall another thread on here with someone else with a BMW and the same filter and his came apart as well, I'll try to dig up the thread. Pictures below, as you can see the top of the filter is apart, and the bottom is completely off stuck to the oil filter housing.

hEDVOXE.jpg

J1kxGXZ.jpg

udCsJVd.jpg

If it's sticking to the housing, maybe it didn't tear apart until the housing cap was removed and caused it to twist. In any event, Fram needs to look into it.

That ultra doesnt looks good. Seems like FU cartridge filters are not as good as their spin on filters.
When it comes to cartridge filter for Euro cars, nothing beats OEM such as Mann and Hengst.
I've never seen them fail, torn, wavy or anything like that.
I've always used Mann for my euro cars, sometimes aftermarket and sometimes original from dealer. The dealer ones have the Mann logo stamped on them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
If it's sticking to the housing, maybe it didn't tear apart until the housing cap was removed and caused it to twist. In any event, Fram needs to look into it.

The bottom piece was very stuck to the housing, took a lot of prying to break it loose, almost like it was semi melted to the housing.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Right!!! HAHAHA

Probably was intact until a magic unicorn walked by and tore it with its perfect horn.

Using a FRAM in one of these import applications is just asking for trouble.

The OEM German Mann and Mahle are readily available for these cars on Amazon at a good price. No reason to use anything else.

FRAM is missing it in their design for these cars. You can bump into that with FRAM on limited production automotive and ag/heavy equipment applications.

Originally Posted By: jdavis
Sent them a nasty email with this thread and others with the same issue with XG10075

Being nasty won't help get you better results, especially over email. Remember the people getting those emails aren't the ones who did anything wrong in this case.

Found a Mann HU816X 15 miles away, will be getting it tomorrow to finish off this oil change (car still on ramps).

Being a jerk is not the best way to handle situations like this. People are much more willing to help if you treat them with respect.

Now about that filter, that certainly looks bad. Hopefully that doesnt happen again.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
For critical applications, I only run WIX (Napa Gold) or Baldwin. For me, Fram is for cars that just get driven and I don't care about them too much ...

I dunno.
I'm a lot happier with cars that I can drive than those that I can't.
This thread simply illustrates that the Ultra may not be the ultimate oil filter for all applications, despite the current hype here.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
ZeeOSix [teeter totter here] SilverC6

grin2.gif

LoL ... yeah no doubt, anytime the word Fram is used or something negative is said about Purolator he starts foaming at the mouth. And he must have missed the part where I said Fram needs to look at this issue.

The cartridge filter shouldn't be sticking like that inside the housing. Hard to say if the tearing was caused during service or was caused when the filter cap was unscrewed and twisted the filter inside the housing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back