Recommended Oil for Jetta 2015 2.0L 8 valves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have the 2.0L 8 valves engine in my 2015 Jetta. Often referred as the two point slow.

Owner's manual calls for 5w40, but since this a non-turbo engine, I was thinking of maybe using 5w30 dyno oïl. I have a few gallons of 5w20 laying around, but that's probably too much out of specs.

Dealer OCI is 20 000km. To me, this is a bit crazy. I have purchased the car and since I do alot of short trips, I was planning to do 8000km OCI.

Any recommendation is appreciated.

Thanks

At least stateside, the recos are for 5W-30 OR 5W-40.

5W-20 is not recommended, which reflects both the German Manufacters' proclivity for higher-weight oils and undoubdtedly the fact that this strong, reliable engine design is old as the hills.

I would get Mobil 1 in the 5W-30 weight and be done with it.

On the OCI, you are again dealing with the European influence, where the regulatory environment treats oil changes like transporting nuclear waste.

The right oil will go the distance in that engine, but it also seems a little long to me. 8,000 km is way too short, though. Why don't you try somewhere between 12,000 and 15,000 km.

Believe it or not, one of my all time favorite engines.

Stick with the Owner's Manual recommendation until the warranty period is over. Since diesel-gate and the billions it will cost to clear up, I could see VW denying claims for the simplest of missteps where any warranty protection is concerned.

How do you like it so far?

i agree whatever the manual says because of the warranty V.W. wants the oil they say to use. In the past we had a few V.W. warranty denials because of that. As for the oci they sometimes even get weird if you change your oil to much. Keep all receipts because if there is a warranty problem which there may be they will look for everything.

If you want to run 40 wt. use Mobil 1 0w40 for 10K (miles) intervals. It's the same price as other M1 products at WM here in the states.

Yeah don't question the engineers because when your engine blows up their Lawyers will be doing the talking... I don't know where you are but here in NJ Lemon Law is stronger than superman and won't cost you a dime!

Ok - I'll use Rotella T6 5w40 or Mobil 1 and keep my receipts.

Dealer charges around 200$ (CDN) for an oil change around here. That's just nuts. I do enjoy doing it myself too.

The engine is good, plenty of power for what I use it for. I don't regret choosing it over the turbos.

Use an oil that meets VW's specs. Rotella T6 does not. Even though it's the 8v 2.0, i believe some version of VW 502-XX is required. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Originally Posted By: Nek167
Ok - I'll use Rotella T6 5w40 or Mobil 1 and keep my receipts.

Grade/viscosity is irrelevant when a VW specification is given, does that engine have one?

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Grade/viscosity is irrelevant when a VW specification is given, does that engine have one?

It sure does: VW 502.00.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: kschachn

It sure does: VW 502.00.

Thanks.

Now my options are almost null. lol

The US manual calls for 5w-40 or 5w-30

The main requirement is does it meet VW 502?

I'd run Castrol 0w-40 or M1 0w-40. Both meet the minimum requirements (VW 502) and are ACEA A3 oils which mean they are extended performance oils. In the states both are relatively cheap from a few different retailers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back