.22 rimfire

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you like tube mags and want to avoid denting them find an old Remington Nylon 66. They hold 14 rounds in the mag tube but it is loaded from the butt of the gun and the mag tube in inside the butt stock. Browning also made a model with the same type tube mag but they are hard to find and expensive.

I love my Browning BL-22. Then again I'm a huge fan of lever guns and all my rifles are levers. The Henry lever guns are fantastic...they're actions are butter smooth. They are fantastic rifles. I love my Browning but the Henry action is way smoother and just feels like a cowboy gun.

If you want a good .22LR rifle for a fair price I highly suggest you give Henry rifles a try. There's nothing like a golden boy with American walnut stock. I don't personally own one but my father does and I will buy myself one some day. They're just an absolute blast to shoot. Order a catalog from them and browse what they have to offer. They offer all kinds of really nice engraving on the action. I personally like a gun to either have engraving on the stock or action or both...it just adds great character to a rifle and makes it all that much more enjoyable. Henry offers all kinds of unique engraving options.

Most importantly ENJOY your search for the right rifle for you. Shopping for a nice rifle should be just as enjoyable as shooting it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFo08L1xRec

Last edited:
If you want a Henry a Golden Boy is choice. a Ruger 10/22 has an almost endless enjoyment capability on and off the range changing parts on it to make it your own.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
Remington 597 for out of the box accuracy. Ruger 10/22 if you want to mod it because there are lots and lots of mods for it. I had a 10/22 with a Volquartsen trigger, and it was one sweet shooting .22. Both of these are semi-auto, and they are good plinkers.

I've seen a lot lately about this gun and how accurate it is. Nice little rifle.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: Clevy
I'm paying 1.50 a round out the door for ammo. Once I have a few hundred casings my uncle is going to teach me to reload the shells which hopefully will help consistency.

You're paying 1.50/rd for .22 Long Rifle? Or for a different caliber?

Sorry I missed this.

I was referring to a 30-30. 22 rimfire ammo here is super cheap. 55 bucks for 225 round box( I think that's the round count. It's the federal cubes,getting much tougher to find though)
We can find the 1000 round pails but I don't know if it's my gun but I end up with a pile of non fires from the pails. The casing shows impact but no bang.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: SEMI_287
Another vote for the 10/22.

Without a doubt. Even though it has an 18" barrel I can consistently put bullets inside a 3/4 inch circle at 50 yards with CCI Standard Velocity ammo.

Not to put you down, but that isn't even the beginning of accuracy.

50 yds? All bullets in a single hole slightly bigger than caliber size.

100 yds? All bullets within 5/16 hole.

Have done this with CCI Std. Vel. But really prefer Eley or Lapua match ammo.

I'm shooting Match Target Rifles.

You have a good point. I had no idea what real accuracy meant til recently. I always had older hunting or retired military rifles. I thought 2 inch groups were great and when I could get my 30-30 consistently(from either a lead sled or sandbags) of 1.5 in center to center groups I thought I was on fire.
Then I got my hands on an accurate military rifle that can do moa(Swiss k-31),then after shooting a couple thousand rounds thru it getting a guaranteed moa rifle(dimension,mid size barrel)that hit moa out of the box and now punches paper sub moa,I'm beginning to realize what real accuracy is all about.
Consistent accuracy anyway.
I had groups this weekend at 100 yard I could cover with a nickel. At 400 from a lead sled it can hit 1" groups,not all my groups were that tight. My largest was 4" at 400 a couple weekends ago.
Those bench rest shooters are absolutely incredible. Their consistency just floors me. Those guys get angry if at 1000 yards they aren't inside a 4" circle.
I'm still chasing milk jugs at half that.
I really like the sport of shooting. It's only you and the rifle against the elements and yourself. Anyone can make a couple of lucky shots,however to make those shots every single time is just amazing. The pressure they are under,,,;
Need lots of zddp for that

Oil joke.

22 rimfire ammo here is super cheap. 55 bucks for 225 round box......

How times change minds. $55.00 for 225 rounds of .22 is anything but CHEAP! This is cheap: ($8.88 for 550).

You're paying 1.50/rd for .22 Long Rifle? Or for a different caliber?

Sorry I missed this. I was referring to a 30-30. 22 rimfire ammo here is super cheap. 55 bucks for 225 round box( I think that's the round count. It's the federal cubes,getting much tougher to find though)

If it's a Federal cube, it's likely a 555 rd box, and if you're paying 55 CAD for that, that's closer to .10 CAD/rd, which is about what we pay here, give or take a penny or two.

Can't believe 22lr is still so expensive. I don't see the fun in it at 10-15 cents a shot.

Around here 22 ammo is non existent. I would like to do some plinking again but can't find any ammo.

As far as a good riffle I would go with the 10/22. I have never had a problem with one. I also have a savage 22 over .410 with a scope and that is a nice shooting gun for hunting but gets tiresome for plinking.

Richard's Sporting Goods had Federal 525-rd boxes of .22LR on sale on Friday for $24.99/box. We were going to the range later that day, and my dad went in the morning and bought me a box and bought him a box. He said they weren't too crowded. After lunch, we stopped by on the way to the range, and they had more boxes. So I bought two and he bought two more. So we collectively came out of Richard's with 3,150 rds. for $149.94 (or exactly $0.048/rd). I think that's quite a deal.

Richard's Sporting Goods had Federal 525-rd boxes of .22LR on sale on Friday for $24.99/box.

Originally Posted By: billt460
It's good to see .22 ammo is finally getting down in price to where it never should have left.

So who's really jacking up the price of some 22LR ... the manufacturer or the retail seller (or both) if they can sell 525-rd boxes for $24.99? Granted, it was a Black Friday deal, but I'm sure they were still making some profit.

Yeah, who knows what the really cost the retailer. Gander Mountain has it at the exact same price online:

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=420349

Bass Pro actually shows it at $23.99 on their website:

http://www.basspro.com/Federal-Premium-C.../1205190500484/

Natchez has it for $26.99:

http://www.natchezss.com/federal-champion-rimfire-ammunition-103554.html

Richard's doesn't list ammunition prices online, and I never go to the store otherwise, so I'm not sure what their regular price is on this particular product.

I will say, this is my favorite "mainstream" .22LR round. I've used a number, including non plated lead Federal of various flavors and also Aguila, and the Federal CPHP rounds always run super smooth through my guns. The Ruger 10/22 is a poor measure of ammunition quality, though...it seems to run just about anything you care to load into the magazine.

I have 150 rds of Winchester Super X that I haven't used yet, so I have yet to see how those work. And I haven't used any CCI .22LR (mostly because I've never seen it locally to buy it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back