1997 Mecury Gran Marquis 4.6 V-8 Oil issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our fleet of 4.6's at work typically start to drink oil at 125 to 150k on a non-stop diet of conventional 5w20. Can't help but wonder what the result would be if they ran a 5w30 their whole life.

Originally Posted By: stower17
Didn't these engines suffer from a valve guide seal defect?

Was corrected in '96 but with valve guide wear can still be a issue, at 255K mi I'd say guide wear is very likely...

Originally Posted By: tig1
My 96 GM 4.6 had 218 K when sold. I used M1 10-30 and it used a qt. every 6500 miles from start to finish when sold.

That was similar to my 1997 Lincoln 4.6L which I ran on 5w-30 to 232K miles. It failed on the 2nd water pump, not the engine lubrication. Despite the OEM recommendation to shift to 5w-20 a few years later, I'd stick to the 30 weight. When I started running synthetic 5w-20 in my 2002 4.6L for 20K miles, the oil usage increased dramatically...probably 1-1/2 qts in 4K miles. I've been on VWB regular dino oil this past oil change and so far no usage in 1500 miles. I intend to run 5w-30 PP next. No more 20 weight synthetic oil for this car. Until a month ago I had completely forgotten my old '97 ran on 5w-30....not 5w-20. Though I can't say what weight actually went in it since the Jiffy Lube places did most of those oil changes.

After owning many crown vic P71 police cars, some burn oil and some don't. Its more an age thing. Some of the 175k + units that are newer don't burn a drop, others with less than 100k do. What I do know is you you see blowby, chances are the oil rings are worn. If you do not see any, it is most likely the valve stem seals. Even after 1996, they can still wear, and there is a lot of oil flow up there.

Originally Posted By: fordman65
He is an awesome mechanic. He used to run a Ford Service department, before the dealership went out of business. He can tear a Ford motor apart in his sleep.

Oil is science. Swapping parts isn't. The 2 don't usually mix well.
I know a great wrench. Doesn't matter the vehicle he can fix it in his sleep. He know jack about engine oil.
Trav here is a great wrench and knows about oil. He is the exception

It is not uncommon for high mileage engines to consume some oil when switched to a lighter viscosity and/or synthetic oil. The consumption may go down over time...or it may not.

My V10 consumes 5w-20 about twice as fast as 10w-30 HDEO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back