Castrol Edge EP 5w-20 vs Mobil 1 EP 5w-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody have an opinion as to which one is better?

I usually use Mobil 1, but the last years have been trying different synthetics ( walmart house brand, QS full synthetic, Valvoline synthetic etc ) just to save if they were on sale/

usually before the winter I like putting in Mobil 1 EP, so I dont have to worry about changing oil in the snow/ice freezing cold

But I did not know Castrol made an EP oil until checking the web for Mobil 1 EP prices?

Should I just stick to Mobil 1 EP?

Car is an 07 Honda pilot 118k --- NYC driving lots of traffic , short trips etc, with about once a month long trips

also what is the best oil filter according to BITOG these days?

There is no "better". There is better for specific applications. You'd have to define yours.
If you are planning on standard intervals and there is no synthetic requirement "better" is the conventional equivalent.
If you are planning on 15000 mile interval these 2 are functionally equal and both will work fine.
If planning 10000 mile intervals then neither are "better" and a standard synthetic is what you want.
Define your interval. Is it "severe service" then pick a product that is suitable.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
There is no "better". There is better for specific applications. You'd have to define yours.
If you are planning on standard intervals and there is no synthetic requirement "better" is the conventional equivalent.
If you are planning on 15000 mile interval these 2 are functionally equal and both will work fine.
If planning 10000 mile intervals then neither are "better" and a standard synthetic is what you want.
Define your interval. Is it "severe service" then pick a product that is suitable.

+1.....good advice...."neither are better".

Castrol EP user here, but I only plan to go 10-11k on this oci.

I wouldn't hesitate to use either one, though. In fact, I tries the Castrol because it was $26/5qt vs M1 ep that was 28/5qt.

As stated, id let price guide me.

Either will work, as others have said.

As for the best filter, most of us here love the Fram Ultra Synthetic oil filter. Rated for 15,000 miles. Built just as well or better than Mobil 1, Royal Purple, etc. filters but significantly cheaper. I've ran a few Ultras & they live up to the hype.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Not many Castrol EP users on BITOG.

I'm switching to Edge EP. I really think Castrol has done a good job with their latest oil formulations. (Magnatec/Edge)

I've been impressed with Edge's TBN retention and I like the Magnatec chemistry. I hate gimmicks, especially within the oil industry, but this not one. It works.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

+1

If M1 EP works good for you, no reason to mess with success.

But Edge EP 5w20 is A1/B1, while M1 is not.

You may also want to consider 0w20.

They are both excellent oils. Between the two, I would pick Castrol just to be different. There aren't enough Castrol EP users here but there are plenty of M1 EP.

Both are excellent oils.

For the New York area, suggest you consider a 0W-20 for the cold winters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back