Camshaft wear protection of Mobil 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Well since we are talking about cam wear,and not that I'm trashing Mobil,but there is a 30 page thread here somewhere where there are a whole lot of pics of cams that certainly look worn in a sohc mustang and it's being compared to cams where royal purple was used and they look stellar with more miles.

Fuel.....fire

Yes, but the sequence pics were also dragged out in that comparison, and that's a low-stress roller application where wear isn't an issue regardless. That thread was ridiculous.

Originally Posted By: njohnson
Hi folks,

A few years ago, Terry Dyson made a post about how Mobil 1 allowed more valvetrain wear than he cared for. I think this was with the SM Mobil 1. Does anyone know if Mobil fixed this problem?

Majic

Originally Posted By: njohnson
Hi folks,

A few years ago, Terry Dyson made a post about how Mobil 1 allowed more valvetrain wear than he cared for. I think this was with the SM Mobil 1. Does anyone know if Mobil fixed this problem?

You're making assumptions that:

1. TD had properly correlated camshaft wear with the exclusive use of M1, disregarding other important factors.

2. M1 had a problem.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Well since we are talking about cam wear,and not that I'm trashing Mobil,but there is a 30 page thread here somewhere where there are a whole lot of pics of cams that certainly look worn in a sohc mustang and it's being compared to cams where royal purple was used and they look stellar with more miles.

Fuel.....fire

Ouch. I remember that thread quite well.

That was a fun thread,I remember it well! I bet it's one of the longest and most legendary threads here.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Fuel.....fire

Ouch. I remember that thread quite well.

That was a fun thread,I remember it well! I bet it's one of the longest and most legendary threads here.

Anybody got a link to it ?

OK, not to hi-jack the thread, but this discussion may shed some light on camshaft lubrication. That is often Fe to Fe contact and can be under very high pressure...

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/ I suggest reading it completely through at least the first half. That testing was to try to resolve camshaft failures which were epidemic a few years back when the ZDDP was being pulled to meet requirements. Turns out that there are other good AW additives and some oils quickly rose to occasion and are top rated .. Synthetics and well refined Dino's too
smile.gif

M1 rates well and is a good oil. The best, well that's debatable... There is better to be had from Motul, but at $19/L it is not cost effective for many folks...

Maxlife Blend is turning out to be quite well rated and received. It is cost effective if you are inclined to go that way
smile.gif

Since I build high performance BBC's with flat tappet cams, I'm very concerned about oils and have been paying close attention to this debate for many years now ...

And there is ongoing evidence that roller bearing roller lifters have been failing at about 5K miles under competition spring pressures. Trunion roller lifters are lasting much longer. But some have been spalling the roller and that takes out the cam lobe surface. Figuring out what the cause is, is not trivial...

Last edited:
Except the engine in that thread is a Ford Modular with light springs and roller followers. It is the definition of a low-stress valvetrain.

I don't think the SM version of Mobil 1 was their best, from a historical perspective, but I think their latest oils are among the best. M1 will always be at the top of the list due to XOM's strong R&D and being such huge player in the market.

They were impacted by Katrina a bit and had some temporary formulation issues, but nothing serious.

Originally Posted By: buster
I don't think the SM version of Mobil 1 was their best, from a historical perspective, but I think their latest oils are among the best. M1 will always be at the top of the list due to XOM's strong R&D and being such huge player in the market.

They were impacted by Katrina a bit and had some temporary formulation issues, but nothing serious.

As much as I hate to admit it buster is right. With the basically unlimited resources Mobil has for research and development they will always be at the top of the heap as far as quality of product is concerned.
Shell too. When you have the kind of money these guys have you can employ a team or teams of scientists,researchers,test mules and so much more. So they will always find the best,cheapest way to achieve a goal,and that cheapness means the consumer isn't paying boutique oil prices for better than boutique oil quality.
So yeah. Mobil and shell will always be on top. When you have the kind of money they do they better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back