SNAP ON DEALERS HERE?? I looked into franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Plan on spending 50% of your timr chasing dead beat buyers.they switch jobs and dont tell you or hide when you show up
This. I have worked with guys that would have a "run" every Tuesday when the tool guys would show up. Then if they caught them at the shop they would give something weak like $20 on their $3,000 bill.

A Snap-on dealer on BITOG would be fantastic.
55.gif

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Plan on spending 50% of your timr chasing dead beat buyers.they switch jobs and dont tell you or hide when you show up

There is a tremendous amount of criticism for Snap-On from their franchisees. Even their top franchisees are extremely critical of the program and constraints. And for a mobile franchise, the initial startup costs are huge. Each year there are between 250 and 300 franchises "reacquired" by Snap-On. With around 3000 total franchisees, that's closing in on a 10% failure rate each year.

There are a lot of very successful franchises around, but with a few exceptions the Snap-On model is far too restrictive to make someone much beyond a living wage.

It's no wonder the tools are overpriced.

Very interesting idea, glad I caught your post.

I graduated from Auto Mechanics, and here is my take:

Lease a white GMC van with no windows, and literally research Blue Point level quality of tools, and find distributors to buy them cheap.

If I wanted to take the risks of running around, I would load a truck with tools I got on sale, say, Mastercraft Maximum tools.

Lisle stuff, Ingersoll rand, solid wrenches and specialty stuff that people buy when they are desperate...

Have a run of nice business cards done with your cell number.

Make a list of All the local tire shops and independents, and make a presence all the time and say hi.

If a mechanic is desperate for a tool, be the Johnny on the Spot... Even pick up a tool along the way if you don't stock it.

Have some chips, a cooler with drinks, some twinkies etc...

You will run around the same, but the risks are FAR less than getting involved with Snap-ON.

These guys just need a solid tool, you can do cash deals and make trades, with Snap On you can't.

You bump into a few Tire Season kids needing an impact, an IR here and an IR there because they are new on the job... $$$

I would never sign up with Snap On. Be your own small business instead, take much fewer risk in this instance, but stand to massively gain.

And, down the road, if you are a success, Snap On will gladly sign you up if you choose.

If you are a mover and a shaker, you will succeed with your own truck and your own quality stuff.

The key is to be on the road working it all the time, and listening to client needs, and stocking it.

Also as mentioned, if they are desperate for a "good" tool, and you are inexpensive, you can only make cash on the spot sales. They can borrow 20$ for a tool from a buddy.

No chasing people then if the tools are just affordable. People want the service. They want the tool and they need it now, that is the business model they need.

Last edited:
Very intelligent analysis indeed! SO tools are way over priced for what you get, and there are many better alternatives out there. I've worked with tools all my life, and have only had a handful of SO, and made good money with few failures along the way. The only thing I can see about SO, is their cutting into a person's profit margin needlessly. Say what you will, but that's my take. Businesses that operate on this kind of "dealer only" marketing model are not my cup of tea.

I do wonder though if buying Blue Point in bulk and reselling them is allowed under Snap On policy.

Don't get me wrong though, I have a few SO ratchets, and yes they are a big deal to me, pride and all.

I have a locking flex ratchet in 3/8, quarter, and a low pro 3/8... Just nice stuff.

But a lot of people need u to run for them. Snap On will keep u up at night worried.

G2S equip near me is the deal I am talking about... You stock the same stuff as G2S, not much can go wrong.

Also, I can see it being a blast to park at a tire shop parking lot and hanging with the guys waiting for tool calls....

[censored], you can call yourself Tool Call, Tool Man, Tool Much Fun, Tool Cool for School... I mean really.

Check out this type of place that you can deal with on the road, see their tool brands etc for ideas:

http://www.g2sequip.ca/about-us-NEWB.html

download their PDF!!

FALKEN
We had a guy that did this sold the cheap stuff that had a life time warranty and he carried a little bit of everything. It was nice picking up cheap stuff from him like a wire brush or drain pan. He had chips and drinks and would come around and [censored] with you. He is doing pretty well selling tools in our "small" area and competes with SnapOn and Matco. If he didnt have something you needed he could find one and just drop it off even if it wasnt his normal day to come. I have a lot of SnapOn stuff and I wish I would have gone with a cheaper brand would have saved tons of money.

JW that would be a neat life for a guy young or old... I would love to do stuff like that myself but I am a stability fiend to a fault.

I would mention that the SnapOn stuff I got was during my Student rebate that had to be used up BEFORE I graduated...

So those three ratchets that I worship I got a massive discount on.

SnapON harms themselves slightly with their prices I think... 20% cheaper is all they would need by my estimates, and they would actually make more money... But I am not a smart business man by any means.

Originally Posted By: bchannell
SO tools are way over priced for what you get, and there are many better alternatives out there.

That's very much debatable.

They lost me at the truck account. No offer to buy back deadbeat debt at all. Forced to have an initial 100k stocking of truck that includes hard to move stuff such as diagnostics. I wanted to outfit my own van at under 50k. Not allowed much purchase 100k van from them. too many legal restraints to make money. I wanted to branch out and hire someone to run the van. Way too many headaches involved.

Last edited:
I have over $47,000 dollars in Snap On tools, they will last my life time and my grand children's life times.

I have snap on tools that I have had since 1980 and they are still going strong.

When ever I bought cheap tools they failed in one way or another.

I also have some MAC tools from the 80's and some Matco tools also from the 80's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back